Demba Ba (now retired)

jdckelly

I think a goal will give him big pick up in his energy levels. He links up play well when deep, but isn't quick enough off the mark when out wide to hurt teams. Really hope he gets one today!

:)

Really good performance again today. Looked a real goal threat, and gave Stoke lots of problems. Think he would have taken the Ben Arfa cross on his head with a bit more confidence. His head didn't drop though, and he kept shooting and putting himself about - which is what I wanted him to do tbh. It'll come. :) Neeeeeee worries.

Good management on Demba today, he looked back to his best. A couple of shots that earlier in the season might have flown in, ended up in the keeper's hands or just wide. Imagine when he gets scoring again. Sick

Ba played well but I thought it was sentimental from Pardew to take Cisse off and leave Ba on. We tend to rotate Cisse and Ba as to which one is playing through the middle during the game. Ba seemed to play through the middle all the time after Cisse scored. Ba's next goal will come when it comes. We shouldn't try to force it. He's not a charity case.

He'll start scoring again once he sorts out his ridiculously inconsistent first touch. Biggest thing holding him back atm, and it wasn't there pre-ACoN so must be a mental/confidence issue of some sort.

Ba played well but I thought it was sentimental from Pardew to take Cisse off and leave Ba on. We tend to rotate Cisse and Ba as to which one is playing through the middle during the game. Ba seemed to play through the middle all the time after Cisse scored. Ba's next goal will come when it comes. We shouldn't try to force it. He's not a charity case.

Don't see it as forcing it at all. Good man management if you ask me. The game was won so take the guy off who is on fire and protect him, whilst giving a full 90 to the man who could do with a goal. It's not like he left Shola or Best on and took Cisse off. This is Demba Ba, our top scorer - no qualms at all with him getting the 90 minutes. He will get a confidence boost just by being left on for the entire game.

Demba mate, when you're six yards out with players around you, just header it instead of trying to chest it and the goals will come ;)

Played well today, looked fresher and happier. Hopefully he'll grab a couple before season's end.

Don't see it as forcing it at all. Good man management if you ask me. The game was won so take the guy off who is on fire and protect him, whilst giving a full 90 to the man who could do with a goal. It's not like he left Shola or Best on and took Cisse off. This is Demba Ba, our top scorer - no qualms at all with him getting the 90 minutes. He will get a confidence boost just by being left on for the entire game.

I can see how it is good man management but when we are so successful with Cisse through the middle we should keep him there. I can also see the logic in taking Cisse off when the game looks won. It is slightly annoying though when I'm sat in SJP hoping for more goals and we take off our current in form striker. From memory, Ba scored most of his goals when we played 4-4-2 with Best alongside him.

I can see how it is good man management but when we are so successful with Cisse through the middle we should keep him there. I can also see the logic in taking Cisse off when the game looks won. It is slightly annoying though when I'm sat in SJP hoping for more goals and we take off our current in form striker. From memory, Ba scored most of his goals when we played 4-4-2 with Best alongside him.

He is getting enough chances to be scoring goals from the left side of the 3. If we can get his confidence back and get him back to his form from the first half of the season, imagine how many we could be scoring in a game then?

I said back in November he'd not be nearly as effective without Best (or a similar player) doing the graft from him, and it's played out like that.

Frankly I couldn't care less. We're winning and he's contributing.

I imagine most in the ground were expecting to see Cisse go off and Ba stay on? Those around me certainly were and agreed with the decision.

He's definitely due a goal soon, he's putting in the effort it's just not coming off for him at the moment.

Fingers crossed he didn't use up all his golden touch at the beginning of the season.

Guest andrew

really hope the poor lad gets a goal :( :laugh:

from a very simplistic viewpoint, who would you say out of an on form ba and an on form cisse is better?

I imagine most in the ground were expecting to see Cisse go off and Ba stay on? Those around me certainly were and agreed with the decision.

Like I said, I can understand the logic, from a man management point of view. Usually though, it's the players who aren't at the top of their game who get subbed off, not those who are on fire. My point was to play Cisse through the middle with Ba and Ben Arfa off him. Ba will score when he scores.

He's definitely due a goal soon, he's putting in the effort it's just not coming off for him at the moment.

Fingers crossed he didn't use up all his golden touch at the beginning of the season.

His golden touch started long before he joined us :)

Like I said, I can understand the logic, from a man management point of view. Usually though, it's the players who aren't at the top of their game who get subbed off, not those who are on fire. My point was to play Cisse through the middle with Ba and Ben Arfa off him. Ba will score when he scores.

You have to adapt to the game situation though. It was more beneficial for the team for Ba to play through the middle today once the game was won. Just being kept on for 90 minutes will give Demba a boost - it acts as a reassurance that Pards still has faith in his ability. Taking Ba off might even have had an adverse affect on his morale.

But yea of course I agree that we should be starting games with Cisse through the middle.