Demba Ba (now retired)

jdckelly

Demba was obviously a mercenary, but he felt like an honest one, if that's even a thing. I mean, I trusted him to always give 100% in all his matches even though I knew he didn't care about the club in any particular way beyond it being his paid job. Don't get that feeling with many other money grabbing cunts. Remy, for instance, I felt sometimes couldn't even be arsed. Cisse wandering around the pitch like a grinning senile old cunt.

Demba at least tried.

Urgh in spite of everything that's happened afterwards, the whole Owen thing just depresses you. We'd signed a really top, top player - a feared striker (for £16m :yao: ) - yet it never felt real. Not even when we signed him. You could see it in the way that he spoke during that daft press conference in front of the Leazes End, he was signing his career away. He knew he wasn't likely to be challenging for club honours under Souness/Shepherd but he surrendered that ambition for the sake of becoming our most prestigious mercenary. He didn't fight for the club, didn't try to change that inevitability that we'd fail; he just got injured for the club and robbed it blind - a couple of aforementioned spates aside.

Come the end of his four years, his passions came out in full bloom as the relegation fight disintegrated under his alleged captaincy. And he did not give a single shit. What makes it worse with Owen was that he came with a reputation, a large fee and thus responsibility. Even more responsibility when he was given the armband yet just wasn't remotely arsed.

Always the wrong, wrong signing. Not right for Newcastle and not right for the game. He's a pioneer in mercenaries.

Demba was obviously a mercenary, but he felt like an honest one, if that's even a thing. I mean, I trusted him to always give 100% in all his matches even though I knew he didn't care about the club in any particular way beyond it being his paid job. Don't get that feeling with many other money grabbing c***s. Remy, for instance, I felt sometimes couldn't even be arsed. Cisse wandering around the pitch like a grinning senile old c***.

Demba at least tried.

Demba Ba actually did give a shit that first season, it was the sheer fact that after we finished 5th we signed Vurn Anita and didn't build upon the squad and the team started to suffer. He saw through the lies of the club probably towards the end of the first season and that summer - same with Cabaye, they both grew disenchanted with this club.

Loic Remy probably would have stuck around too if we had followed up that summer and sacked Pardew. But nope.

Urgh in spite of everything that's happened afterwards, the whole Owen thing just depresses you. We'd signed a really top, top player - a feared striker (for £16m :yao: ) - yet it never felt real. Not even when we signed him. You could see it in the way that he spoke during that daft press conference in front of the Leazes End, he was signing his career away. He knew he wasn't likely to be challenging for club honours under Souness/Shepherd but he surrendered that ambition for the sake of becoming our most prestigious mercenary. He didn't fight for the club, didn't try to change that inevitability that we'd fail; he just got injured for the club and robbed it blind - a couple of aforementioned spates aside.

Come the end of his four years, his passions came out in full bloom as the relegation fight disintegrated under his alleged captaincy. And he did not give a single s***. What makes it worse with Owen was that he came with a reputation, a large fee and thus responsibility. Even more responsibility when he was given the armband yet just wasn't remotely arsed.

Always the wrong, wrong signing. Not right for Newcastle and not right for the game. He's a pioneer in mercenaries.

SO for all those reasons he's way down the list for me, the cunt.

My impression of Demba was that he didn't like playing second fiddle to Cisse and wanted to play in his preferred setup. He was happy to go and play second fiddle at Chelsea though for more money. That was still better than Owen though, who didn't want to be at Newcastle at all.

It seems more common for players from poorer countries to have multiple levels of agents, advisors, and hangers on, so their behaviour is more understandable, if not necessarily forgivable.

Guest chopey

According to the secret footballer some top managers in the UK and Europe say that they would never buy an African over 30.

In ability, when Kluivert could be bothered, which was not very often, he was definitely ahead of all but early Shearer.

The guy oozed class, no doubt that Kluivert + Bellamy > Shearer + Bellamy in my mind.

In terms of effectiveness though, Ba did some great things with the team he had around him and was great to watch, gave it his all even when he was narked off for being played out wide to accommodate magic-shins Cisse.

On ability Kluivert. In effectiveness, Ba all the way.

Owen was worse than Wijnaldum at hiding in games and the captain to boot towards the end.

In ability, when Kluivert could be bothered, which was not very often, he was definitely ahead of all but early Shearer.

The guy oozed class, no doubt that Kluivert + Bellamy > Shearer + Bellamy in my mind.

In terms of effectiveness though, Ba did some great things with the team he had around him and was great to watch, gave it his all even when he was narked off for being played out wide to accommodate magic-shins Cisse.

On ability Kluivert. In effectiveness, Ba all the way.

Owen was worse than Wijnaldum at hiding in games and the captain to boot towards the end.

Kluivert and Bellamy were no way better than shearer and Bellamy you pipe smoking muppet! Shearer and Bellamy lead to us finishing 4th/3rd/5th & playing in the champions league , playing our best football for years. Kluivert maybe played 10 games maximum up with Bellamy & we plummeted to 14th that season. Kluivert had about 5 good games

Shearer and Bellamy were the best partnership here since Pedro and Cole. Course by the time Kluivert signed Shearer's star had faded while Kluivert still had bags of class and was a a lot less selfish as a striker. Him and Bellamy looked awesome together.

• 6 months later...

Shearer and Bellamy were the best partnership here since Pedro and Cole. Course by the time Kluivert signed Shearer's star had faded while Kluivert still had bags of class and was a a lot less selfish as a striker. Him and Bellamy looked awesome together.

I think it's a bit harsh on Shearer as he'd had a great season before Kluivert arrived. Definitely agree with you though on Kluivert and Bellamy being a great partnership. Perfect blend.

• 1 year later...