Demba Ba (now retired)

jdckelly

We used to joke about his knee exploding and now this. I'll always remember him with fondness of his time here because quite simply, he was the best striker we had here since Shearer.

How would they even go about the process of repairing that?

internal and possibly external metalwork- the healing pain after that is absolutely unbearable- like ouyr leg is being crushed in a massive vice.

I had the same injury; well it looked the same, at least. Oddly enough, it was the look of it which immediately was the most traumatising part and now looking looking back upon it is the part which still produces a strong visceral reaction, pure disgust: seeing your leg flopping around, at a right angle, is just not right. I'll skim over the 10 months in the middle. Plate on fibula, external fixator on tibia; immobile for three months, no joy. Plate off fibula, ex-fix off, bone graft and Ilizarov frame (...think half a dozen knitting needles through your leg and a bolt screwed into your tibia all meccano-ed up to three 12 inch diameter metal hula hoops).

Demba will get the best advice and will have good healing potential: healthy bone and still comfortably the right side of 40. Hopefully for him the breaks aren't as messy as they look, and as mine were. Main problem for me (well once there was evidence of growth...some helpful fuckwit surgeon did warn me, 6 months in, to get used to the idea that it may not heal and amputation would be a solution--where do they find these people?) was an unseen hairline fracture down into the ankle joint, which was made worse/re-broken through rehab physio for the tib/fib break (going hell for leather on the fecking trampolines...). Fingers crossed for the lad; point taken re 'a just world', but personally, I wouldn't wish the uncertainty, immobility, and pain on anyone. Well, tbh, maybe Dennis Wise... ok, and a few others. But not Demba Ba. Hope he recovers; and plays again (I haven't).

We used to joke about his knee exploding and now this. I'll always remember him with fondness of his time here because quite simply, he was the best striker we had here since Shearer.

:thup: Owen might just pip him but we don't talk about that.

It looks like the best you can wish for him is a good recovery and a comfortable rest of his life. A continued career as a professional footballer seems like a pipe dream, when a break like that happens to someone in their 30s.

How would they even go about the process of repairing that?

internal and possibly external metalwork- the healing pain after that is absolutely unbearable- like ouyr leg is being crushed in a massive vice.

I had the same injury; well it looked the same, at least. Oddly enough, it was the look of it which immediately was the most traumatising part and now looking looking back upon it is the part which still produces a strong visceral reaction, pure disgust: seeing your leg flopping around, at a right angle, is just not right. I'll skim over the 10 months in the middle. Plate on fibula, external fixator on tibia; immobile for three months, no joy. Plate off fibula, ex-fix off, bone graft and Ilizarov frame (...think half a dozen knitting needles through your leg and a bolt screwed into your tibia all meccano-ed up to three 12 inch diameter metal hula hoops).

Demba will get the best advice and will have good healing potential: healthy bone and still comfortably the right side of 40. Hopefully for him the breaks aren't as messy as they look, and as mine were. Main problem for me (well once there was evidence of growth...some helpful fuckwit surgeon did warn me, 6 months in, to get used to the idea that it may not heal and amputation would be a solution--where do they find these people?) was an unseen hairline fracture down into the ankle joint, which was made worse/re-broken through rehab physio for the tib/fib break (going hell for leather on the fecking trampolines...). Fingers crossed for the lad; point taken re 'a just world', but personally, I wouldn't wish the uncertainty, immobility, and pain on anyone. Well, tbh, maybe Dennis Wise... ok, and a few others. But not Demba Ba. Hope he recovers; and plays again (I haven't).

sounds nasty. Ive got a 5in plate and and 7 screws in my lower fibula. got full extension, and rotation but no dorsiflexion, so can walk in shoes without a limp- cant run, and have not played football since.

Any chance the surgeons initials were DD? he loves a worse case scaremonger him like.

Henrik Larrson came back to play from such a break and I think there have been others, Cisse at Liverpool is one....

Even Alan Smith came back after his.

The problem may be that the psychological effects make it impossible to be the same player ever again, the fear of it happening again etc.

All the same, really awful injury and I wish him all the very best in his long road to recovery.

Guest neesy111

What type of break is that?

Leg.

Well Yes, but is it a clean break?  That's better than a fracture for him at least.

:thup: Owen might just pip him but we don't talk about that.

Owen was a little shit who never wanted to be here despite signing in front of a packed St James back in the day we believed in our heroes. Fuck him.