Demba Ba (now retired)

jdckelly

Soon after this guy was signed there were disparaging remarks stating that it was only because he was on a free, he was only available because he was a crock, and it was just Ashley being Ashley i.e. a cheap gambler.

Then I remember one twit claiming Pardew didn't rate him any better than Shola, and wasn't playing him because of that. Very satisfying seeing him continue on from last season in the Newcastle shirt this time around. Great signing. Really tough times for the naysayers right now, must be killing them.

Never rated him tbh.. :D

Going off his whole career including a 6 month spell showing he can score in the Premierships I just found it ludicrous when people complained that we had failed to sign a goalscorer etc..

If we can keep him fit I reckon we have a £10m+ goalscorer on a free, well if you judge him in comparison to Bent a £24m forward...  :shifty:

Sorry, I did think it was that but I am absolutely fucking shattered. Seems to be keeping up his absolutely consistant goalscoring rate  :smitten:

I am 100% of the belief we should have had money to spend this summer and with another forward, a few defenders and maybe even a genuinely proven right winger which we should have been able to afford (I like Obertan and think he can become a quality player for us but he is far from proven and to be honest after selling Barton we needed 2 anyway) we would have been really challenging for something.

However...

We have done some EXCELLENT business recently under the tight bastards policy, despite what we paid for them how much would Ba, Cabaye, Tiote, Marveaux, Best, Ben Arfa.. really be worth now? Certainly more than their combined >£15m fees, I reckon there is a good argument to look at that lot and say we have £45m(?) worth of players based on similar quality players, if it's Liverpool/Man City prices it's probably closer to £60m :lol:

Sorry a bit of a pointless comment but nice to think about, for me anyway.