Demba Ba (now retired)

jdckelly

Guest BooBoo

Really needs a goal on Sunday. It's such a shame how his season has gone stale after such blinding run of form.

Probably not going to be a popular thing to say on here. But I wont be too fussed if we sell Ba on in the summer. His price is at the largest its going to ever be.. I just feel that even when he was scoring goals, his all round play is not good enough. His passing has been sloppy all season, he constantly trys to turn instead of playing the earlier easy pass, he struggles to physically dominate most centre halfs... If we get an offer of say 12 million pounds .. I wouldnt hesitate to sell him and replace him with a pacier/ wide player.

Probably not going to be a popular thing to say on here. But I wont be too fussed if we sell Ba on in the summer. His price is at the largest its going to ever be.. I just feel that even when he was scoring goals, his all round play is not good enough. His passing has been sloppy all season, he constantly trys to turn instead of playing the earlier easy pass, he struggles to physically dominate most centre halfs... If we get an offer of say 12 million pounds .. I wouldnt hesitate to sell him and replace him with a pacier/ wide player.

Whilst I somewhat agree with the sentiment I couldn't disagree more about the bit in bold.

I can't agree with this in terms of Demba's quality early in the season- he was top class.

However, today was a classic example of where we should have played 4-3-3 but didn't with the most likely reason being that they didn't trust Demba to track Zabaleta. The first goal comes from them outnumbering us in the middle.

If Demba was to go with us signing two pacy 4-3-3 style widemen, it wouldn't be the end of my world and it would lessen the impact of the ACON next year as well.

A straight swap for Gameiro wouldn't be too bad either!

Release clause would likely dictate the price though?

Nobody knows the details, but the release clause, if it even exists, may well have become irrelevant now we have qualified for Europe. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

No. He have been absolutely class for us earlier this season.

He is a little out of form, but he will be back.

I thought he was good against Manc.

We get Marveaux back, he can play on a wing, but we need a big squad next season. Keep Ba.

And 12m for him? He have a clause in his contract according to `Arry  :lol:

I'm more of a lurker than poster, but i've been motivated to post and say you're mental!

Short memories it seems. A squad is about more than the 11 on the pitch. There's european football next season and 12 million will not come close to replacing a 16 goal striker who looked unstoppable for half a season and pefectly decent for the other half. Lots of games to play and we need to keep these players together, even if they don't all get to play at the same time.

He's looked tired, no doubt next season he'll be banging them in, as he has done throughout his career.

I can't agree with this in terms of Demba's quality early in the season- he was top class.

However, today was a classic example of where we should have played 4-3-3 but didn't with the most likely reason being that they didn't trust Demba to track Zabaleta. The first goal comes from them outnumbering us in the middle.

If Demba was to go with us signing two pacy 4-3-3 style widemen, it wouldn't be the end of my world and it would lessen the impact of the ACON next year as well.

I agree .. I remember against Man Utd at home where his performance was completely dominant .. but since then hes the one player that frustrates the hell out of me.. as he has an inability to retain posession... without scoring goals he is not an asset to the side at all.

I agree .. I remember against Man Utd at home where his performance was completely dominant .. but since then hes the one player that frustrates the hell out of me.. as he has an inability to retain posession... without scoring goals he is not an asset to the side at all.

Give over.

Give over.

What do you feel he offers then?

Give over.

Pace, strength, brilliant link up play (which he has shown on the left). Not to mention he carried us single handedly (goal wise) for half a season. He's out of form but that doesn't mean we should get rid.

Give over.

Well for starters, he keeps a defender or two busy with his movement, and has created a lot of space for Cisse and Ben Arfa. His only weakness at the moment is the goal thing. He seems too eager to score so is not making the best choices some times. Nothing that can't or won't be corrected.

Give over.

I think others have answered the question, but if you think our excellent run of games recently in hat 4-3-3 formation could have been achieved with anybody other (from our squad obviously) than Demba Ba alongside Cisse and Ben Arfa in the front three you're mental. He's strong, intelligent, fast, a good passer of the ball and has also tracked back and worked hard. His goals have dried up, but not for want of trying or not getting into good positions. With a bit more luck he would have had 20+ goals already and we wouldn't even be having this discussion.

I'd like to retain him, but ideally as a squad player, because of the number of games we'll have to play. Whether he'd be prepared to put up with moving down the pecking order is another question. I think he'd want to leave.

I'd like to bring in a striker with more pace and movement.

He is trying far to hard now and does not have the technique to play wide left in front 3 or withdrawn striker imho. I think the team are trying to hard to get him a goal as well rather than  just playing for goals and it will come again. He is still getting some good chances just not happening for him.

Give over.

You've had a mare mate.

Substitution for Newcastle United. Coming off is aussiemag......

:) Just my opinion .. well see how it all pans out over the next 12 months .. Ill happily take it back if he has another 16 goal season next year.

As if people would advocate letting go of a good footballer with a good attitude.

Yeah, it's ridiculous.

He's just not built for 90 minutes of Premier League football on a regular basis. He's basically been running on almost empty for 2 months.