Demba Ba (now retired)

jdckelly

Le Tissier was handy at them.

Le Tiss is the best penalty taker the PL has ever seen, but I couldn't ever have such a descipable man in our shirt, even for a few seconds. Rather Hitler stepped up.

Go on then , I'll bite. Aside from his s**** punditry, how is Le Tiss such a c*** ?

He's a horrible bastard.

PENALTY POSER III

Hi Martin, Gareth Barry smashed home another penalty at the Stadium of Light this weekend. I was wondering how he rates in the list of all time Premier League penalty takers in terms of both number of goals from the spot and conversion rate. Keep up the good work! All the best, George

MARTIN SAYS: Well George, even with my trusty helpers here at skysports.com and the boffins at Opta I am afraid it would take far too long to sift through the record books and look at individual conversion rates from 12 yards. But, seeing as we are already on the subject of penalties, I can answer at least the main part of your question. Gareth Barry's penalty against Sunderland was, according to mine and Opta's records, the 21st he has taken in the Premier League and the 17th he has scored. I can find four misses, which is a success rate of around 81 per cent. That kick also took Barry to 10th in the Premier League all-time penalty scoring list, with Frank Lampard (19) the only current player having scored more.

Player Premier League penalties scored

Alan Shearer 58

Matthew Le Tissier 24

Thierry Henry 23

David Unsworth 23

Teddy Sheringham 21

Frank Lampard 19

Ruud van Nistelrooy 19

Peter Beardsley 18

Gareth Barry 17

Robbie Fowler 17

Gary McAllister 17

Barry took one of the worst ones I've ever seen, at SJP when Souness was manager. Skied it well over the bar like a prat and probably kept Souey in a job for a few weeks longer.

Ah yes, that 1-1 at home with Villa. Terrible game.

Guest BooBoo

Barry took one of the worst ones I've ever seen, at SJP when Souness was manager. Skied it well over the bar like a prat and probably kept Souey in a job for a few weeks longer.

Ah yes, that 1-1 at home with Villa. Terrible game.

There were a few groans when that penalty went over as if it went  in, it would have almost certainly seen Souness sacked.

Reminds me of Carew's in the 6-0. Thought 'here we go again' when the penalty was given, amazing what followed. :lol:

Wolves when we were neck and neck with Liverpool for 4th as well.

We weren't just neck and neck, it was practically the last kick of the season and if he scored that penalty we'd have went into the Champions League denying Liverpool not only their place the following season, but from going on to actually win the thing. Such fine margins in football at times.

Edit: wait, no, I'm wrong; it was only the final home game. Point still stands though.

Wolves when we were neck and neck with Liverpool for 4th as well.

We weren't just neck and neck, it was practically the last kick of the season and if he scored that penalty we'd have went into the Champions League denying Liverpool not only their place the following season, but from going on to actually win the thing. Such fine margins in football at times.

Edit: wait, no, I'm wrong; it was only the final home game. Point still stands though.

It doesn't, at all.

Even if we'd beaten Wolves we'd have had to go to Anfield and win on the last day.

Has Shola ever missed a penalty? I can't recall one.

Interesting, because with those long, gangly legs and his hit-and-miss finishing you wouldn't fancy him as a penalty-taker. A large part of it has to be in the head.

Possible parallel - Shola and Le Tiss - both laid-back, unegotistical - perhaps unambitious characters who were content to see out their careers with their first club. Discuss.

LeTissier may well be able to ride a bike. I'll wager he's eaten a few apples (and kebabs) in his time. Never, never has he been captured doing both of these things at the same time...so he can keep his penalty record and his ability to score far more goals than wor Shols...the man is a bounder, and cad and a charlatan. Good day, sirrah.

Reminds me of Carew's in the 6-0. Thought 'here we go again' when the penalty was given, amazing what followed. :lol:

I always wonder if things could have been so very different if Carew had scored that pen.

Has Shola ever missed a penalty? I can't recall one.

Interesting, because with those long, gangly legs and his hit-and-miss finishing you wouldn't fancy him as a penalty-taker. A large part of it has to be in the head.

Possible parallel - Shola and Le Tiss - both laid-back, unegotistical - perhaps unambitious characters who were content to see out their careers with their first club. Discuss.

Not a competitive one no.

There's little point in discussing the logic behind what Shola is or does :lol: