Demba Ba (now retired)

jdckelly

Cisse's starting to mould into that role on the right. I'd refine his position so he's not always so wide and stick Hatem on the left.

Ben Arfa is not the same player wide left as he is from cutting in on the right. Would be the absolute wrong thing to do IMO.

Cisse's starting to mould into that role on the right. I'd refine his position so he's not always so wide and stick Hatem on the left.

Ben Arfa is not the same player wide left as he is from cutting in on the right. Would be the absolute wrong thing to do IMO.

I agree. However it would be nice to have a left footed player on the left at some point.

Seems a bit counter-productive to move a player over to one side even though he doesn't perform there just because it's his 'natural' side.

That's probably because he's played most of his games for us on the right, it doesn't mean that he couldn't adapt, not that I would look to do it during the season.  If we're going to change his position then it should be done pre-season when he's got time to work on his game.

I agree. However it would be nice to have a left footed player on the left at some point.

Seems a bit counter-productive to move a player over to one side even though he doesn't perform there just because it's his 'natural' side.

I know. I'm agreeing with you :lol:. But it would be nice to have a left footer (Marv or someone else) on the left.

:thup:

The odd game possibly but Ben Arfa has been magic at times for us on the right. The kind of player you accommodate the rest of the team around. Might work some games where the opposition have a poor right back but a strong left back.

If he's being pushed out, then Pardew musn't have got that memo because he's done everything he can in the last few months to keep Ba in and happy (playing him in the centre, keeping him on the pitch for 90 mins and never subbing him, taking the freekicks etc.)

I think it's just a mixture of his 'advisors' whoring him out for a better deal at a club willing to pay silly wages, and our unpopular strict wage structure. Nobody is pushing anyone out IMO.

Makes sense, but given the complexity of the situation due to a lack of real knowledge on our part in this whole debacle, I don't think it's unreasonable to suggest that it is a possibility though. Perhaps being pushed is the wrong word to use - But I just don't believe Ashley / Derek (and whoever, if anybody else, has a say in this above Pardews head) are honestly doing all they can to keep Ba here. This is just how I see it though -

Pardew manages the team - they (the board) manage the transfers / contracts. Of course there will be gray areas, but that's probably fair to say in a strictly black and white view.

Ba's done very very well for us over the last 2 years to warrant a better deal then the one he's currently on. Strikers are worth their weight in gold especially when they're proven, or at least very consistant. Though he has a knee condition, isn't getting any younger and whilst he / his advisors are well within their right to ask for more, they must surely know that with the reputation of the club they can't hold the club to ransom? Look at the facts - contract renewals / extensions haven't went that smoothly with our existing players over the last couple of years - Colo took a pay cut after a delay, Nolan rejected his contract, Enrique was offered one and knocked it back. S Taylor stalled on his offer and was transfer listed before eventually agreeing terms. Guthrie's agent talked with the club and nothing came of that so was released.

I still wouldn't say that £70,000 a week for example is silly money to keep doing what he's doing if he's happy considering his return and potential return when compared to how much the likes of Van Persie, Suarez, Defoe, Rooney, Torres, etc are on.

Call me paranoid but I still feel this rings somewhat of the Carroll deal - Pardew was adamant that he wasn't going anywhere under any circumstance, he even got a 5 year deal and the chance to wear the no.9 shirt months beforehand and he still went one way or another. I don't think Pardew's prepared to be burned like that again. If they can avoid paying a player £70,000 a week (as per the earlier example) and have sniffed out an adequate replacement for a lot less money in the long run then no I wouldn't be surprised if he is pushed

Guest bimpy474

HBA isn't very good on the left. It takes away most of his key assets.

Played LM against Everton in his first season for us and was briliant.

Hoots dropped Jonas for that game so Hatem could play, Funnily enough.

Well obviously he's a better option for the left hand side than Jonás, but I'd rather we just bought a new player in to play on the left side. If you look at our starting XI, Jonás in the weak point and he plays on the left more often than not.

Guest bimpy474

I dont mind him starting left of a front 3 as long we play with the 3 of them roaming, something i can't see Pardew allowing it but you never know.

Tracking full backs etc. becomes more complicated if you have them swapping positions all the time (because, inevitably, you end up with two of your forward three on the same side at some point), so I can't see Pardew going for it much.

Guest bimpy474

Tracking full backs etc. becomes more complicated if you have them swapping positions all the time (because, inevitably, you end up with two of your forward three on the same side at some point), so I can't see Pardew going for it much.

My way of doing would be, when we lose the ball, whoever is left tracks that side, same for whoever is right. As far as Pardew goes, So what if we end up with player on the same side, use their skill to keep the ball, thats the rigid thinking that i hate about Pardew tbh. How about he thinks of our good players pinning their full backs in with our attacking play, rather than thinking of stopping the opposition first.

Then again hell might freeze over.

Guest Eggenberger

His demands are quoted 70-90.000 a week, which is alot of money. But.But , ask any of the midtable clubs if they would shell out that for a guaranteed goal every other game feeding off scraps and long balls, my guess is that those that could afford it, would.

15-20 goals ( if not more) guaranteed every season is not easy to duplicate and as such those strikers will be in demand. Ultimately it depends if anyone comes in for him at that wage level. My guess is, someone will.

He is one of the best strikers in the league.

Guest sicko2ndbest

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/newcastle-striker-demba-ba-may-stay-1510833

A Toon source said: “There are people in the dressing room who believe Demba Ba has let Mike Ashley and Newcastle down after the way they helped resurrect his career. They’ve been kicked in the teeth.”

Whether it's real or not: :spit:

Harper/Beardsley?

It is Anal...hard to think who else he has to go to now

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/newcastle-striker-demba-ba-may-stay-1510833

A Toon source said: “There are people in the dressing room who believe Demba Ba has let Mike Ashley and Newcastle down after the way they helped resurrect his career. They’ve been kicked in the teeth.”

Whether it's real or not: :spit:

http://thechive.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/wtf_gifs_26.gif?w=320&h=240