The "This Group of Lads" Era

oldtype

I'm still more proud to be a Newcastle fan than most times in recent years. Losing Nolan I'm upset about, Barton less so because of his recent outbursts.

It's not as if Barton and Nolan are the only professional footballers capable of playing as a team, hopefully we will be looking into the background of players before signing them.

And if Enrique and Gutierrez were to go?

I would be disappointed if Enrique goes, but I think it's inevitable. Jonas I want to stay and think he will, the only evidence to the contrary is one tweet by Barton.

Losing so many players at once is a risk of course, I'm not denying that. I would rather we were keeping them all.

Personally I think if/when Enrique goes that is Jonas and Colo almost automatically the next to go.

Served it's purpose, ie, getting us back into the Premier League and keeping us there. If we're aspiring to go higher, then Harper, Smith & Nolan aren't going to get you there.

Agree. My only grievance is that it should be a gradual step away from this, as opposed to a complete dismantling of it over one summer.

Served it's purpose, ie, getting us back into the Premier League and keeping us there. If we're aspiring to go higher, then Harper, Smith & Nolan aren't going to get you there.

Agree. My only grievance is that it should be a gradual step away from this, as opposed to a complete dismantling of it over one summer.

:thup:

Don't count your chickens...Smith has to find a club yet. ;)

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

We now come into the attitude era.

:snod:

Time to kick ass.

Stone Cold Steve Stone will sort them out.

I hold a lot of hope over this new stable we have known as 'La Résistance' - fuck the English man.

Tioté can lead the Nation of Domination, no one will get past him in the middle like. D'Lo Simpson at right. Shola Kamaobi up front.

As if Joey Barton holds this squad together, give me a break... jeez ... Barton should be told to delete his Twitter account tbh.

Barton and Nolan probably played some role in preventing the dressing room from "falling apart" last season, but if any of you give them credit for everything, then ask yourself this;

what does that tell you about the rest of the lads?

We replaced Nolan with Cabaye. It's only disappointing Nolan is leaving because we have a paper-thin squad. IF WHU get promoted next year, he'll be 30. AND IF they get promoted, Fat Sam will probably still be their manager, and we all know his preferred style of playing hoofball...

Overhauling the squad (if it happens) will be a financial decision not a tactical one.

I understand the 12 month argument regarding Enrique and Barton but Nolan has 2 years to run on his contract - it's not the case that we have to extend the contract or sell.

If we lose Nolan, Barton and Enrique, on top of the Carroll sale, it'll take a lot of money to fill their boots. Replacing half a team in one transfer window is a hell of a task, as is building a team spirit and style of play with the new charges. It'll be exciting to see new faces come through the door, but personally I'm already worried for next season. It should have been about adding flair to the steel and togetherness we already have in the side. This sale has been done to keep the wage bill trim and bring in lower earners from continental leagues, however you look at the successful sides and barring Arsenal a while back you generally need some proven English players in there to compete regularly. You can't have a team of Nolans but you also can't have a team of Ben Arfas. It's about balance.

I'm still more proud to be a Newcastle fan than most times in recent years. Losing Nolan I'm upset about, Barton less so because of his recent outbursts.

It's not as if Barton and Nolan are the only professional footballers capable of playing as a team, hopefully we will be looking into the background of players before signing them.

And if Enrique and Gutierrez were to go?

I would be disappointed if Enrique goes, but I think it's inevitable. Jonas I want to stay and think he will, the only evidence to the contrary is one tweet by Barton.

Losing so many players at once is a risk of course, I'm not denying that. I would rather we were keeping them all.

I was told a few months back that Pardew did not rate Jonas but after that he started playing well so maybe Pardew has since changed his mind.  Since that conversation though, I have always thought that he was likely to be moved on this Summer.

I concur. I would have let Nolan run down his contract (2 more years ffs), then see where we are in terms of progress (easing him out of the side so to speak).

It's no kind of deliberate dismantling, though. It's the confusion of so many players' extremely lucrative contracts coming to end at the same time. Nolan, Barton, Enrique -- they've all been offered new contracts. It's not like the club is trying to push them out of the door. Smith is the exception.

It's no kind of deliberate dismantling, though. It's the confusion of so many players' extremely lucrative contracts coming to end at the same time. Nolan, Barton, Enrique -- they've all been offered new contracts. It's not like the club is trying to push them out of the door. Smith is the exception.

This is basically how I see it as well, just a collection of circumstances that aren't ideal.

I was actually scared to post that for fear of the backlash, you're a braver man than me!

We now come into the attitude era.

:snod:

Time to kick ass.

Stone Cold Steve Stone will sort them out.

I hold a lot of hope over this new stable we have known as 'La Résistance' - f*** the English man.

Tioté can lead the Nation of Domination, no one will get past him in the middle like. D'Lo Simpson at right. Shola Kamaobi up front.

And Cactus Coloccini, battering strikers the world over. Bang Bang!

It's also not like other newly promoted clubs where you faze them out and they're in the squad on Championship wages. These players (Smith, Barton, Nolan and Harper) will be earning more than players seen as better than them and replacing them in starting XIs so it's hard to keep them and renegotiate contracts.