London 2012: Mexico win Olympic football gold

Sifu

Looking forward to seeing Japan to be honest. They've supposedly made fantastic efforts in improving their youth coaching over the last 10 years.

Don't follow Asian football much but there progressive performances at the world cup would definitely suggest so and there seems to be a lot more young Japanese lads playing for big western clubs these days. Can only be a good thing really.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Looking forward to seeing Japan to be honest. They've supposedly made fantastic efforts in improving their youth coaching over the last 10 years.

Don't follow Asian football much but there progressive performances at the world cup would definitely suggest so and there seems to be a lot more young Japanese lads playing for big western clubs these days. Can only be a good thing really.

There was a decent article in FourFourTwo (for once) about Youth Coaching around the world, looked at various countries (Germany, England, Spain) one of them was Japan. Well worth the read.

:lol:

Hang on.

iamalsolookingforwardtoseeingsouthkoreaplaytoo.

:aww:

We're pretty good. Honest. We've basically been keeping the exact same group of kids together and drilled them for the 2009 U-20 World Cup, the 2010 Asian Games, and the 2012 Olympics in succession. They might not be the best players out there but they know each other's movement by heart and will graft their asses off for the team.

Lad in my avatar might potentially be starting up front :lol:

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Women's #olympicfootball at St James' Park. July 31 Canada v Sweden, France v Colombia. Aug 3, 1/4 final G1 v E3/F3

Canada v Sweden should be epic.

There was a decent article in FourFourTwo (for once) about Youth Coaching around the world, looked at various countries (Germany, England, Spain) one of them was Japan. Well worth the read.

Shall check it out. Thing I admired most from Japan and wether this comes froma youth development structure they've put in place or from the Brazilian influences they've had on the game over there is that they try and play it the 'right way' too. High energy, passing football but not exclusively so. 

Think I'll probably end up caving in and going to all the blokes football, be interested to see Mexico too. Were impressive in the u17s and iirc they did well at the u20s too.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Shall check it out. Thing I admired most from Japan and wether this comes froma youth development structure they've put in place or from the Brazilian influences they've had on the game over there is that they try and play it the 'right way' too. High energy, passing football but not exclusively so. 

Think I'll probably end up caving in and going to all the blokes football, be interested to see Mexico too.

Yeah, they said that their coaches went all over the world to watch the best teams train and coach. They took all the best ideas and worked them into their own philosophy. Basically, they're aware that they're not the most physically imposing of nations, so they had to develop a football system that would work well for them - basically pass the ball and use their stamina and work ethic to their advantage.

We're pretty good. Honest. We've basically been keeping the exact same group of kids together and drilled them for the 2009 U-20 World Cup, the 2010 Asian Games, and the 2012 Olympics in succession. They might not be the best players out there but they know each other's movement by heart and will graft their asses off for the team.

This is why GB will more than likely suck.

While all the other sides are essentially under-21 sides who have played together in a set system for a good few years we're having to cobble together the best of what is available from 4 different nations (while taking into account those going to the Euros) into a cohesive unit literally weeks before the tournament starts. Not to mention the likely inclusion of a few trophy geriatrics just to make things extra fun.

Oh yeah, and Stuart Pearce is the man instrusted to do all this :yao:

Definitely going to try and get to the Brazil and Spain games as well as the quarter, might even get along to the Mexico v South Korea game too. If you buy tickets for the Spain match, do you get in for the Japan game player later in the day too?

Definitely going to try and get to the Brazil and Spain games as well as the quarter, might even get along to the Mexico v South Korea game too. If you buy tickets for the Spain match, do you get in for the Japan game player later in the day too?

If you hide in the Bathroom.

Aye the tickets I got for the 29th are for both games that day.

Looking forward to seeing Neymar at SJP

Aye, guessing the Brazilian's will have a very strong squad considering they've no other distractions over the summer. Really looking forward to seeing them.

Aye the tickets I got for the 29th are for both games that day.

:thup:

Canny draw and line up there.

Unfortunately though, the draw hasn't been so nice for Team GB. I can see them struggling due to that muppet, Pearce being in charge. Senegal and Uruguay will be massive tests (Crooks must have been high when he said it was an "easy group"). That warm-up game with Brazil will be a sure indicator of where GB will be at, level-wise (though it'll be better if GB can get other friendlies sorted). If Pearce can get the players working as a team then fair play (but judging from his performance in the U21 Championships last year, I'm not so confident).

Am I the only one who would prefer we had British football team rather than the individual countries?

Probably. I can understand calls for a British Football team for the Olympics but for actual football events (the Euros and the World Cup), individual countries are definitely the way to go.

Am I the only one who would prefer we had British football team rather than the individual countries?

Probably. I can understand calls for a British Football team for the Olympics but for actual football events (the Euros and the World Cup), individual countries are definitely the way to go.

Out identities are too strong to be represented by the same football team.

Slightly different for Geordies maybe as we don't identify with the rest of England as much in general.