Tranquillo Barnetta signs for Schalke

oldtype

Thing is for these not already Prem players we could be a stepping stone to a much bigger wage.

No way he is on £40k at the moment, one good season with us and Spuds or Liverpool will offer him a much bigger wage.

Which is exactly what I'm trying to say.

Apparently not though...

The deal with Erdinc fell through because of his agent, we managed to fuck up Neil Taylor's signing and now this. Agents are a fact of life unfortunately, if we are going to get any deals done which are worth doing then we better find a way of dealing with it. This doesn't look good for the prospects of signing the much needed striker either.

transfermarkt.co.uk lists his agents as International Football Management GmbH who are Wolfgang Vöge, Franco Moretti and Jürg von Matt.  So who is this other agent and in what way does he represent Barnetta?

Says McIntosh is his 'British representative.' Might mean he has an agent over there but this guy is trying to get paid as a contact or whatever, feels he's being cut out and his bad mouthing us to the press.

Now, i know i'm not Mr Positive around here (clearly Ian W, bless him) but i'm not going to think the worst based on what this dickhead's said to SSN.

:lol:

Cheers, interesting that about his agent.

The deal with Erdinc fell through because of his agent, we managed to f*** up Neil Taylor's signing and now this. Agents are a fact of life unfortunately, if we are going to get any deals done which are worth doing then we better find a way of dealing with it. This doesn't look good for the prospects of signing the much needed striker either.

Dennis Wise didn't seem to have problems signing players.  :eek:

;D ;D ;D

How would people feel about a tactic of offering players a decent wage to come here while we're such an unappealing prospect, and then establishing ourselves as a decent premier league side to the point where people might actually come here because they think we're on the up and want to be part of it and wages aren't as much of a concern?  Or is that crazy, irresponsible Freddie Shepherd thinking?

It's all very well moaning about agents, but all clubs have to deal with them and they're always going to try and get the best offer they can, it's like a company blaming unions for everything.

Why are we always trying to be so cheap like? Obviously we don't want to offer Man City money but ultimately if we are committed to bringing a player in we've got to satisfy everyone. Yes, £40,000 per week is a shitload of cash in the real world, but football has been disconnected from that for so long it seems daft to even bother mentioning it any more.

This reaction from his agent doesn't exactly sound like we're reasonably close to agreeing a deal, does it?

Course not, but agents can be prone to exaggerating in the media to achieve what they want.

No idea whether £40k a week is what he's worth, what he should be paid, too much or too little. All football wages are mental. But I wouldn't go as far as to say that means we should pay every player whatever it takes to get them.

Do you? Would we be having this debate if we'd offered him 50k, or 60k? Just seems like a discussion that's purely subjective.

Say we've offered him the same as Cabaye is on, that seems fair to me.

If we genuinely want a player then we have to pay what is necessary, both to satisfy his club and the player (plus his agent I guess). What that figure actually is, and what other players like Cabaye are on is totally irrelevant; each is its own case. If we want him, we'll have to pay what it takes. If it's too much for us, the transfer simply isn't happening.

This is apparently the player's agent, how often do you hear agents come out with reactions like this? It's not common to deride an offer like this. He claims we've known what he's on for some time. Perhaps foolishly I assume Llambias can operate Google and knows his current club is in the Champions League and has far better prospects than us. To therefore not offer somewhere near what it takes to get him is just stupid.

If he's demanding a salary outside our limits then we must simply move on and let Barnetta pick us his paycheck whilst not getting that much in the way of game time.

We keep moving on...it would be nice to actually get a deal done for a change.

Why are we always trying to be so cheap like? Obviously we don't want to offer Man City money but ultimately if we are committed to bringing a player in we've got to satisfy everyone. Yes, £40,000 per week is a shitload of cash in the real world, but football has been disconnected from that for so long it seems daft to even bother mentioning it any more.

This reaction from his agent doesn't exactly sound like we're reasonably close to agreeing a deal, does it?

Course not, but agents can be prone to exaggerating in the media to achieve what they want.

No idea whether £40k a week is what he's worth, what he should be paid, too much or too little. All football wages are mental. But I wouldn't go as far as to say that means we should pay every player whatever it takes to get them.

Do you? Would we be having this debate if we'd offered him 50k, or 60k? Just seems like a discussion that's purely subjective.

If we genuinely want a player then we have to pay what is necessary, both to satisfy his club and the player (plus his agent I guess). What that figure actually is, and what other players like Cabaye are on is totally irrelevant; each is its own case. If we want him, we'll have to pay what it takes. If it's too much for us, the transfer simply isn't happening.

This is apparently the player's agent, how often do you hear agents come out with reactions like this? It's not common to deride an offer like this. He claims we've known what he's on for some time. Perhaps foolishly I assume Llambias can operate Google and knows his current club is in the Champions League and has far better prospects than us. To therefore not offer somewhere near what it takes to get him is just stupid.

Like we did for Owen, Duff, Geremi etc etc.

Don't get me wrong - offering less than someone is on is stupid.  But we shouldn't pay whatever a player asks for and should be within our wage structure.

Who moves jobs in the same profession for less money?

Barton might have to, if he wants to play next season.

Most people aren't paid enough in a week to support themselves for a year either. A footballer taking a 10% pay cut is hardly the same as a teacher doing it.

what's the difference? they've earn more money than normal people doesn't mean they should take a pay cut unless they are not wanted by club anymore

If he's demanding a salary outside our limits then we must simply move on and let Barnetta pick us his paycheck whilst not getting that much in the way of game time.

We keep moving on...it would be nice to actually get a deal done for a change.

This one's been rumoured for six weeks. Perhaps he was in Alaska with Erdinc.

Guest Roger Kint

Well Barry McIntosh being based in Engalnd would surely know like most of the counrty what we can roughly offer, by saying £40k is so bad it would be interesting what he hoped to acheive. Would £50k become 'fantastic' or did he for some reason expect us to offer more?

Don't get me wrong - offering less than someone is on is stupid.  But we shouldn't pay whatever a player asks for and should be within our wage structure.

Amen.

Did the agent mention how much he was asking for while labelling our offer s****? Brenner on shitter is saying £80k....

Brenner has picked a figure out of his arse, he's being sarcastic.

No s*** sherlock

Sorry, it looked as if you were using 80k as a guide to how much the player was asking for.  You asked a question then appeared to use 80k as an answer to it.

Is Hughesy an anagram for Derek?

Trying to play hardball but made to look rank amateurs again, it seems.

It's pathetic, and a bit worrying now that there is some real urgency in getting players in.

Is Hughesy an anagram for Derek?

Is this seriously a criticism? 

Trying to play hardball but made to look rank amateurs again, it seems.

It's pathetic, and a bit worrying now that there is some real urgency in getting players in.

Who says we're playing hardball? :lol:

I'd assume that we offered him his worth based on our current wage structure.  Seems fair.

Who moves jobs in the same profession for less money?

Barton might have to, if he wants to play next season.

Most people aren't paid enough in a week to support themselves for a year either. A footballer taking a 10% pay cut is hardly the same as a teacher doing it.

what's the difference? they've earn more money than normal people doesn't mean they should take a pay cut unless they are not wanted by club anymore

The difference (IMO) is that their pay is already insane and provides them with more money than they could possibly need. All I think is that for a good opportunity it would be silly for a player to reject it over a small percentage pay cut.

I know what you mean, everyone has a market value, the problem is that in football it's virtually impossible to define what that is. All clubs can do is decide what they're willing to pay and hope they can reach a deal.