Tranquillo Barnetta signs for Schalke

oldtype

Btw he also stated that he hadnt even thought to consider a replacement for Barton before that Barnetta comment.

So we supposedly would have been in for Barnetta either way.

I was hoping that the Barnetta approach was linked more to the departure of Routledge than to the Barton situation.

Guest bimpy474

We're chasing a £40,000 per week player to put on the bench? Come off it. :laugh:

We already have Smithy on 60 :)

Guest Roger Kint

We're chasing a £40,000 per week player to put on the bench? Come off it. :laugh:

We already have Smithy on 60 :)

And Xisco for beyond the bench

Pardew said he didnt even want to discuss the Barnetta situation, before going on to say that the average working man wouldnt even be able to get his head around how 40 grand a week is a ridiculous offer & he thinks it would be direspectful to Newcastle fans to discuss finances given everything else thats happened this week.

I would say that an open discussion about the financial state of the club is exactly what the fans want to hear given everything that has happened this week/summer/year/decade...

I didn't mean he wouldn't play, I meant that the signing was linked to the fact that we have a midfielder out of the squad and off the wage bill. We know we're losing Barton after this season anyway.

Skirge I'm a fan of your signature picture.

Why thank you

:D

I've also borrowed the bowler hat idea - hope you don't mind.

:D

Not at all, we have to thank @iwantcurlyhair2 for the bowler hat trend

£40k is decent money like. Even in a footballing context, I'd say that's a pretty good deal for a player like Barnetta. Genuinely can't see him being on more than that at Leverkusen: yes, they came second in the Bundesliga last year but that doesn't mean to say that their squad suddenly commands a Bayern Munich-esq wage bill. IIRC it's the first time they've finished second since 01/02.

In short, I'm still fairly confident that we can land Barnetta.

It just shows what football has become that a man can come out and slate us for offering somebody 40 grand per week.

The only time anyone can ever call £2m per year a "ridiculous" offer :lol:

Do we know what Tiote,Cabaye,Ban Arfa,Marveux and Ba are on ? I have not been following too much but if these mentioned are on similar or less, then Barnetta can do one and play for just the money elsewhere. The agent makes it sound like Barnetta wouldn`t want to play for us because were shit, unless he was making top money. Had enough of Luque`s and Owen`s to last me a life time.

Do we know what Tiote,Cabaye,Ban Arfa,Marveux and Ba are on ? I have not been following too much but if these mentioned are on similar or less then Barnetta can do one and play for just the money elsewhere. The agent makes it sound like Barnetta wouldn`t want to play for us because were shit unless he was making top money. Had enough of Luque`s and Owen`s to last me a life time.

Fair point, but I wish we'd straighten all this out beforehand with the player rather than wait two months before finding out what he wants.