Fabricio Coloccini (now retired)

BeloEmre

Defies belief that the club have retained Coloccini and decided to skimp on replacing him adequately - Colo's pace has definitely gone and opposition managers will play on this right throughout the season. Retaining him for a year as a STANDBY, after buying a top class replacement would have been justified...but we all know this aint going to happen...

Defies belief that the club have retained Coloccini and decided to skimp on replacing him adequately - Colo's pace has definitely gone and opposition managers will play on this right throughout the season. Retaining him for a year as a STANDBY, after buying a top class replacement would have been justified...but we all know this aint going to happen...

noooooot really

The fact that some are saying that playing alongside a 20 year old (ha) defender who is new to this country and to this league may give Colo a new lease of life after having been obviously past his best for the past three years tells me everything I need to know about how awful this decision is.

I'm not convinced he is physically deteriorating TBH, at least not noticeably. His decline has been mainly mental, still think it's possible he can turn it round in the short term.

Almost everyone has looked shit for the last three years mind.

:thup:

What I'm saying is Mbemba will need time to settle in under the guidance of a more experienced partner who can compensate a little bit for his deficiencies and help him get to grips with the toughest, most unforgiving football league a young defender could play in. Some make it sound like he will be the rock thay Colo can latch on to give him a new lease of life.

I don't think he was ever that pacey to begin with. I agree with Ian that the physical decline is exaggerated. He looks basically the same player as when he arrived and he got plenty of stick then too.

The fact that some are saying that playing alongside a 20 year old (ha) defender who is new to this country and to this league may give Colo a new lease of life after having been obviously past his best for the past three years tells me everything I need to know about how awful this decision is.

Tells you everything you need to know about NO logic.

A man is turning 34 in 5 months and some are saying he isn't physically deteriorating.

I don't think he was ever that pacey to begin with. I agree with Ian that the physical decline is exaggerated. He looks basically the same player as when he arrived and he got plenty of stick then too.

But he's not though. He's that bit slower. He has to think that bit faster. His leap is that bit shorter and he hasn't compensated with other developments.

The pace and strength of the league is starting to get ahead of him again and this time he lacks the tools to adapt.

noooooot really

You're right - it DOESN'T defy belief....this is Ashley's NUFC after all.....

What I'm saying is Mbemba will need time to settle in under the guidance of a more experienced partner who can compensate a little bit for his deficiencies and help him get to grips with the toughest, most unforgiving football league a young defender could play in. Some make it sound like he will be the rock thay Colo can latch on to give him a new lease of life.

Its not neccesarily a case of Mbemba being the rock Coloccini can latch on to.  But rather simply that Mbemba's attributes (pace, strength, aggression and a decent leap) should help to compensate for Coloccini's deficiencies in those area's and perhaps give him a better chance to focus on his game.  As opposed to when he's playing next to Williamson who has all the same deficiencies as Coloccini and then some.  Which leaves him having to try to cover for everything and coming up short.

I'm obviously in the minority here but I've not written Colo off just yet. Granted he's knocking on now at 33 (?) but he's always been the kind of defender who looks as if he could play at a high level well into his 30's.

We've mentioned the previous coaching set up and how players seemed to stagnate and struggle to perform, and when you consider he's spent the majority of his time here alongside the likes of Mike Williamson and Steven Taylor, I'd suggest he still has something to offer now he has a potentially ideal partner alongside him.

A lot of our players have something to prove this season, arguably Coloccini more than most.

But he's not though. He's that bit slower. He has to think that bit faster. His leap is that bit shorter and he hasn't compensated with other developments.

The pace and strength of the league is starting to get ahead of him again and this time he lacks the tools to adapt.

Which is why I said basically the same player. Obviously every player will lose something once they get past a certain age, but at 33 it doesn't necessarily follow that your legs will fall off. From what I saw last season he was still winning about the same number of challenges in the air and still cutting out about the same number of dangerous situations.

The football we want to play, bringing it our from the back, suits Collo to a T, he is calm and collected when bringing the bal out and has the vision to pick out the correct pass. If mbemba, judging by the 20 mins we saw, is as good on the ball as we think, then all of a sudden we have a team capable of stoking the ball about and controlling games better.

Colo is still a good player I think, just has had a season where even he probably saw that evrything, team, tactics and future all looked back, perhaps everyone is entitled to a bad one now and again. We have taylor for when we come up against monster centre forwards, so there is some tactical fall back

The football we want to play, bringing it our from the back, suits Collo to a T, he is calm and collected when bringing the bal out and has the vision to pick out the correct pass. If mbemba, judging by the 20 mins we saw, is as good on the ball as we think, then all of a sudden we have a team capable of stoking the ball about and controlling games better.

Colo is still a good player I think, just has had a season where even he probably saw that evrything, team, tactics and future all looked back, perhaps everyone is entitled to a bad one now and again. We have taylor for when we come up against monster centre forwards, so there is some tactical fall back

Basically agree, and from McClaren's point of view you can see how we wouldn't have confidence in going out and getting an experienced ball-playing defender to slot straight in as a replacement. It should be possible in theory but at least now he has more time to do it.

I'll admit I haven't been able to bare to watch us for a good 2 seasons now while I thought Ashley and co. were killing the club, so don't really know what Collocini has been like. Prior to that I thought he was good enough to play for any team in the world if put among like minded footballers. If we are about to see a return to positive tactics, who knows, we may be about to witness the renaissance of what was once a class player. I hope so anyway.

Mick Lowes actually having a go at Colo on totalsport. Last person I would have expected this from

"He's been a bit of a nuisance and a pain"

"up to his old tricks"

etc

He's Pardew's buddy. Probably just pissed he didn't run to AP and bang on about how great a manager he is.