Fabricio Coloccini (now retired)

BeloEmre

Mark Halsey on Bein Sports said he didn't think it was a pen and that no-one would've batted an eyelid if play had just been waved on. He did try and defend the ref a little by saying it looked worse from his angle.

Mark Halsey on Bein Sports said he didn't think it was a pen and that no-one would've batted an eyelid if play had just been waved on. He did try and defend the ref a little by saying it looked worse from his angle.

Of course it wasn't a penalty. Only Andy Gray the contrarian gorilla was advocating cheating as per usual. Both Bellamy and Yorke in the studio thought it was daylight robbery. Even Keys who normally hates us said he didn't think it was.

According to the rules it wasn't a penalty.

Ex-referee I spoke to this morning said it was.

Is he the rules? These are the rules:

"A player who places himself between an opponent and the ball for tactical reasons has not committed an offence as long as the ball is kept within playing distance and the player does not hold off the opponent with his arms or body.

"If the ball is within playing distance, the player may be fairly charged by an opponent."

To me - based on the reading of the rules. It's extremely soft. It doesn't clearly break any of these rules. It's soft for a freekick. But a penalty? Not a chance.

Note Cattermole holds Wijnaldum off with his hands in the build up. Fletcher holds Dummett off his with his body in the lead up to the second.

He's past it and needs to be replaced with a quality commanding CB, there's no doubts about this. However i cannot blame him for the penalty and red card as it was a ridiculous decision. That's my opinion.

According to the rules it wasn't a penalty.

Ex-referee I spoke to this morning said it was.

Is he the rules? These are the rules:

"A player who places himself between an opponent and the ball for tactical reasons has not committed an offence as long as the ball is kept within playing distance and the player does not hold off the opponent with his arms or body.

"If the ball is within playing distance, the player may be fairly charged by an opponent."

To me - based on the reading of the rules. It's extremely soft. It doesn't clearly break any of these rules. It's soft for a freekick. But a penalty? Not a chance.

Note Cattermole holds Wijnaldum off with his hands in the build up. Fletcher holds Dummett off his with his body in the lead up to the second.

Btw if he's given it because he thinks the ball isn't in playing distance then it can't be a red. The challenge is made a second before Elliot gathers the ball.

Guest firetotheworks

Probably the most pointless thread on the entire forum this. I think he's well, well past it, that he's a shit captain and it was ridiculous to give him a contract, but having said that, slow, stupid or whatever...it wasn't a penalty or a red card and any other 'yeah but he gave the referee a decision because he didn't get there first' is irrelevant. Yes, we all know what everyone's opinions of him on here are and so on, but using a shit refereeing decision against him on such tenuous grounds is nothing more than people trying to strengthen their agenda imo.

Probably the most pointless thread on the entire forum this. I think he's well, well past it, that he's a shit captain and it was ridiculous to give him a contract, but having said that, slow, stupid or whatever...it wasn't a penalty or a red card and any other 'yeah but he gave the referee a decision because he didn't get there first' is irrelevant. Yes, we all know what everyone's opinions of him on here are and so on, but using a shit refereeing decision against him on such tenuous grounds is nothing more than people trying to strengthen their agenda imo.

:thup:

Nothing to do with any agenda from me like, I think this is the first time I've even complained about Coloccini in this thread but I think it was an utterly daft thing to do. Fletcher had him beat and Elliott had it covered, he stopped making a line for the ball and went for Fletcher, it wasn't an accident.

Whether or not it was the right decision I had my head in my hands as soon as it happened, I knew there was chance it was going to be given.

Probably the most pointless thread on the entire forum this. I think he's well, well past it, that he's a s*** captain and it was ridiculous to give him a contract, but having said that, slow, stupid or whatever...it wasn't a penalty or a red card and any other 'yeah but he gave the referee a decision because he didn't get there first' is irrelevant. Yes, we all know what everyone's opinions of him on here are and so on, but using a s*** refereeing decision against him on such tenuous grounds is nothing more than people trying to strengthen their agenda imo.

What is this? Sense?

:thup:

Guest firetotheworks

I didn't read any of your posts tbh Hans, I just clicked in here and it was a few pages back with a sea of Ronaldo posts about it and just posted from there.

For me I only thought that it was going to be given because it was a match against Sunderland and of course they were going to give a penalty for that absolute bullshit. Especially considering in the 10 minutes or so prior to that I had thought 'every decision's going our way here'

Nothing to do with any agenda from me like, I think this is the first time I've even complained about Coloccini in this thread but I think it was an utterly daft thing to do. Fletcher had him beat and Elliott had it covered, he stopped making a line for the ball and went for Fletcher, it wasn't an accident.

Whether or not it was the right decision I had my head in my hands as soon as it happened, I knew there was chance it was going to be given.

Exactly how I felt.  Didn't think it was a pen.  Still don't.  But when he did it and Fletcher went flying and the local inbreds were all up in arms, baying for blood.  I immediately feared the worst.  I just couldn't believe he went in like that.  Totally brainless. 

I said penalty as soon as Colo ran into the guy, I knew it was the sort of thing that looked bad enough to be given in real time. Technically I think it's shoulder to shoulder, but it looked bad because of Colo's speed and angle of run. That's why I blame Colo (a bit) for being reckless.

Exactly how I felt.  Didn't think it was a pen.  Still don't.  But when he did it and Fletcher went flying and the local inbreds were all up in arms, baying for blood.  I immediately feared the worst.  I just couldn't believe he went in like that.  Totally brainless.

Same here.  It is really meaningless.  Why do we need to be in this situation?  It would be a lot better if Fletcher really got control of the ball and Colo made a risky attempt. 

Guest DebuchyAndTheBeast

Thought he was good until his brainfart. While he struggles defensively his composure on the ball helps us to build play  from the back.

The trouble is we all know if this incident had involved Vincent Kompany, Koscielny or Smalling it would not be given. And despite Mourinho's persecution complex it wouldn't be given if John Terry does it either. And if those players are playing at their home ground Steven Fletcher probably gets booked for diving  :hmm:

I'm not even too sure on the rules, are they set in stone?

It was a shoulder barge with no player in control of the ball and Coloccini didn't gain control of the ball immediately after it (although Elliott did). I'm inclined to think it was fair because we see it all the time when players are shepherding the ball out of play like.