Fabricio Coloccini (now retired)

BeloEmre

Sadly prolonged his stay with the club, which resulted in his performance and attitude souring.

Was very good for us at times, which people often forget.

Will not be missed and should have been shifted about 3 years ago. I look forward to seeing who his replacement is, although I'd be happy with a back-up player as I have every confidence in Lascelles and Mbemba next season.

Delighted he's gone. Feels like despite relegation we're finally now heading in the right direction.

Excited to see who the replacement we've lined up is too, they must surely expect to be bringing someone in within the next few days.

Shame how his career panned out here as he could have been remembered so fondly and as one of our best centre half's of recent times. Due to his attitude and ineptitude (especially as a captain) over the past couple of seasons he'll just not be remembered at all despite 8 years here.

Was decent early doors, should have gone and been replaced last year.

Decent?! He was tremendous for the most of three and a half years from August 2009 which resulted in him getting into two different PFA team of the seasons!

No doubting his legs have been gone for a while and it turned sour for various reasons but people have forgotten how good he was!

Our two other top quality centre halves from the Premier League era (Woodgate and Albert) also played in far superior teams and under managers who were on another planet to what Colo played under!

I'm more interested in who we are getting in. He had taken the piss for far too long. With Colo, Saylor and Iron Mike no longer here we need at least 2 central defenders IMO. Over to you Rafa.

I'm glad he's gone, he was a very good player for us for a while and I still think our treatment of Jonas will have pissed him off at the time.

So much so that he signed a new contract? ???

I'll still remember him fondly. A joy to watch at his best, and more good memories than bad in an era of almost ever-present mitigating factors. He's undoubtedly been a player in decline for at least a couple of years, but he's also been scapegoated far too often.

Same here.

Absolutely this.

It did look to me that he was made captain only because there wasn't anyone else that could realistically be considered. I can't remember seeing him actually talking on the field, or directing his team mates. There often seemed to be a lack of leadership on the field, which has cost us in the end.

Think rather than a lack of leadership it was the schism in the squad that cost us

Which also begs the question as to whether he was a great captain. He certainly didn't seem to be a unifying presence.

Guest firetotheworks

Everyone else has summarised it well and there's not really a great deal to add. The graph of his time with us is a bell curve with one year at the start, 2/3 years at the top of his game where he was the best, if not most consistent centre back that I've seen for Newcastle, with the rest as a flat line, barring the odd sign of life in him from time to time. As a captain he was absolutely atrocious mind.