Fabricio Coloccini (now retired)

BeloEmre

Fabricio Coloccini, the Newcastle captain, has played with Messi for Argentina and against him when the defender was with Deportivo la Coruna in Spain. He offers this appraisal: "On the TV he looks very quick but in life he is quicker than he is on the television. It is unbelievable.

Imagine what I can do when I quit smoking..

Were people aware that Colo's motor of choice is a convertible Smart Car? :lol: :lol:

Doesn't need a big fuckoff SUV to prove his manhood. What a guy  :smitten:

You understand the Smart!

I've seen Colo in a Hummer and a Bentley too...just to balance things out.

Love the guy, we seem to concede so often these days when he abandons his spot in the centre. Not even in high pressure situations either. Really beginning to bug me. I appreciate he doesn't have faith in the wide defenders, but ffs man hold your position.. :(

Love the guy, we seem to concede so often these days when he abandons his spot in the centre. Not even in high pressure situations either. Really beginning to bug me. I appreciate he doesn't have faith in the wide defenders, but ffs man hold your position.. :(

The left side is to blame for that. You can't expect him to stay central and give away acres of space.

Don't want to go into the whole frame-by-frame picture issue (like that HBA saga :lol:) but given Colo's intelligence, I'd be much happier with him taking up a better position centrally than charging out to meet Walcott - who more often than not will put in a disappointing ball which you can cut out. Walcott is never going to run it up the byline. Just don't feel he's managing this aspect of his game very well.

Colo has great positional sense centrally - his value there in getting in ahead of strikers is a much better use of his talents than meeting players out wide. Unless the wide player can have a crack at goal, he shouldn't be charging to meet them. By all means come out a little bit, but not full throttle. He's intelligent enough to get the balance right but hasn't been getting it right IMO.

Don't want to go into the whole frame-by-frame picture issue (like that HBA saga :lol:) but given Colo's intelligence, I'd be much happier with him taking up a better position centrally than charging out to meet Walcott - who more often than not will put in a disappointing ball which you can cut out. Walcott is never going to run it up the byline. Just don't feel he's managing this aspect of his game very well.

Colo has great positional sense centrally - his value there in getting in ahead of strikers is a much better use of his talents than meeting players out wide. Unless the wide player can have a crack at goal, he shouldn't be charging to meet them. By all means come out a little bit, but not full throttle. He's intelligent enough to get the balance right but hasn't been getting it right IMO.

Coloccini has to go out to Walcott.

No, come out to narrow the angle - but only a few yards - enough to dissuade Walcott from coming in, but still allow himself time to block/intercept any incoming ball - which he seems to have an innate knack of being able to do when given a bit of time.