Fabricio Coloccini (now retired)

BeloEmre

A lot of players don't end up playing at their boyhood clubs, it means little. As I said, there's also a few interviews in Spanish where he says he's a fan.

http://www.taringa.net/posts/deportes/9244043/Fabricio-Coloccini_-un-grande.html

Fair enough. Wouldn't surprise me if his "personal reasons" amount to nothing more than a burning desire to play for the team he actually supports. Aren't San Lorenzo on the decline, i.e. faced with relegation and in substantial financial trouble?

I don't think so, I lurked in a few SLA forums and they are as much at a loss about those "personal problems" as you are.

For what it's worth I quite like the idea of older players helping out their "boyhood club" to end their career. We get it quite a bit in Holland, for ex. Rijkaard at Ajax, Van Bronckhorst at Feyenoord, etc. Robin van Persie has always said he will one day play for Excelsior Rotterdam, a club of minnows if there ever was one, as that's where he started his career as a little boy, although he never got to play for their first team. In that sense, I could understand where Colo is coming from, but it seems a bit early in his career and begs the question why he signed a new contract in the first case if indeed this is what's behind his desire to move clubs.

I thought he was from Cordoba though, not Buenos Aires?

He used to get the bus to Buenos Aires to train with a team at weekends (a 500 mile 8 hour trip on a friday night returning sunday night).

Surely therefore Cordoba (or a team from Cordoba) would be his boyhood team?

He used to get the bus to Buenos Aires to train with a team at weekends (a 500 mile 8 hour trip on a friday night returning sunday night).

I doubt it works that way in Argentina any more then it does in England.

I doubt it works that way in Argentina any more then it does in England.

I know, but you'd like to think it did though.

Either way, there's no excuse for this shit when he hasn't communicated with our fans directly or indirectly for over 6 months.

Some captain.

It's less than 6 months mind.

This article was late October for instance and i think it's his last interview.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/fabricio-coloccini-my-bus-rides-to-a-brighter-life-8219006.html

Either way, there's no excuse for this s*** when he hasn't communicated with our fans directly or indirectly for over 6 months.

Some captain.

I think he's been an excellent captain and I think he'll not change that while he plays for us.

You attack Pardew at every given opportunity for the lack of cohesion and morale on the pitch; Coloccini not organising as he should is part of that.

Great player but a poor leader.

Nice try at shifting some of Pardew’s failings onto Coloccini.  The job of a captain these days is mainly symbolic as no team should have to rely on one player for anything once the game kicks off.

You attack Pardew at every given opportunity for the lack of cohesion and morale on the pitch; Coloccini not organising as he should is part of that.

Nice try at shifting some of Pardew’s failings onto Coloccini.  The job of a captain these days is mainly symbolic as no team should have to rely on one player for anything once the game kicks off.

What? :lol:

Not having that like. I know when you were younger the captain used to help pick the team and everything, the role is certain different to what it once was, but there's no co-incidence that teams with a weak/poorly-picked captain might struggle more than ones with a strong leader.

What? :lol:

Anybody on the pitch can help organise, talk to other players etc.  The captain is no different from any other player once a game kicks off except that he can talk to the ref to argue our case if he doesn't agree with a decision.

Coloccini does talk to our players during the game to give them a gee up, he doesn’t go screaming like an idiot, he just talks to them and none of our players are better than him at leading by example during the game.  Up until now he’s been our best defender and he’s popped up all over the pitch in an attempt to drive us forward.

Not having that like. I know when you were younger the captain used to help pick the team and everything, the role is certain different to what it once was, but there's no co-incidence that teams with a weak/poorly-picked captain might struggle more than ones with a strong leader.

A poor captain could have a negative effect if he was disruptive, I probably over simplified what I said.  I still don’t think being a captain these days is much other than being a figurehead.  Every player on the pitch should be talking to each other, one person can only do so much.  I've seen nothing to make me think that Coloccini is anything but a good captain other than his current personal problems which don't seem to be doing anything to his game.

Heard it all before, man. Every single person who defends Colo's leadership invariably mentions screaming like an idiot. There's a lot of scope there to achieve a balance.

I've seen him doing plenty of talking to others around him and nobody puts in more effort during a game than he normally does.

A poor captain could have a negative effect if he was disruptive, I probably over simplified what I said.  I still don’t think being a captain these days is much other than being a figurehead.  Every player on the pitch should be talking to each other, one person can only do so much.  I've seen nothing to make me think that Coloccini is anything but a good captain other than his current personal problems which don't seem to be doing anything to his game.

I have no complaints about his on the field captain duties, but you can't find any fault at all in a captain who wants to jump ship in the middle of a relegation fight and doesn't communicate (about this) with the fans..? :lol:

I have no complaints about his on the field captain duties, but you can't find any fault at all in a captain who wants to jump ship in the middle of a relegation fight and doesn't communicate (about this) with the fans..? :lol:

Not to mention the obvious leadership void on the pitch.

I'll reserve judgement with regards to him wanting to leave.  I don’t know why he wanted to go, if it was because we weren’t doing well then I’ll probably change my mind, I’ll not change it based on rumours based on nothing but tittle tattle.

Not to mention the obvious leadership void on the pitch.

:anguish: You have a go at people who claim you are calling him for not balling at people on the pitch, but then judge him on 90 minutes a week? Totally disregarding everything else he has been praised for doing at the club in general.

'Leadership void' is a ridiculous statement.