Fabricio Coloccini (now retired)

BeloEmre

Does anyone seriously doubt that he will give it his all for the rest of the season? Can't help but feel the letter was written with a bit of animosity towards the club for not being given compassionate leave but there is no way he is not one hundred percent committed until the rest of the season.

To be honest, if he didn't help us back from Championship back to EPL, he would probably be my most hated player ever for Newcastle. I really really can't accept our captain writing such a letter (even signing on it).  It is like "thx a lot for trying to save me from hell. i love you all. sorry that i can't escape but i my life is full of love from you".  Fucking hell.

PR stuff, no big deal, yea? Ask yourself if you got your team leader writing such things publicly what should your next action be? Smack his face with shits? Jesus christ.

It does concern me, yes. He clearly doesn't want to be here, expected the club to give him away a few months into a new 5 year contract, & writes a letter of apology to the club who tried to sign him for nowt. All without a thought for the club or fans he is supposed to be captain of. The only reason he hasn't walked is it would've cost him £7m. So much for putting "matters of the heart ahead of other matters" eh Colo?

The fact that he is still captain is a driving factor in motivating him. Might as well cancel his contract if we strip him of the captaincy because slapping him in the face with that is certainly not going to produce performances that we want to see.

Letter is certainly more than a little shit if we don't get a similar sit down interview or statement with him. I understand why he or his agent/father wrote the letter, but it appears to lack foresight, british rags will be all over it. SL look like complete mugs, which is exactly merited from their low behavior. I will hold off slagging Colo on this though until I see no similar effort to talk to the fans here is made. 

The fact that he is still captain is a driving factor in motivating him. Might as well cancel his contract if we strip him of the captaincy because slapping him in the face with that is certainly not going to produce performances that we want to see.

Letter is certainly more than a little s*** if we don't get a similar sit down interview or statement with him. I understand why he or his agent/father wrote the letter, but it appears to lack foresight, british rags will be all over it. SL look like complete mugs, which is exactly merited from their low behavior. I will hold off slagging Colo on this though until I see no similar effort to talk to the fans here is made.

I hope he does release some sort of statement thanking the fans for their support. It's the least he could do quite frankly, though I'm doubting any such statement will happen.

Ah, ffs. The guy's got a lot more to deal with than he expected, shit happens. Someone he probably misguidedly trusts said "sign here. And here. Here, here and here. And there, I'll get that witnessed later, here, here, there and there, here, and there. One more. And there. And just there. I'll bring the other documents later." While his missus is fretting about whatever it is and fucking off leaving him with the kids while he's doing his job and leaving them set for life.

Colo seems like a stand-up guy to me, but good footballers don't experience real life, they're cossetted to an unreal extent, they never see their passports because someone else does that, they don't buy houses because that's taken care of, they don't worry about cars, there's a queue of them, take your pick, the slightest thing in their personal lives can knock them off-kilter. He's been living in Europe since he was 18, I think, and he's 31 now, so I can't imagine it's culture shock.

Except for all the Cramlington charvesses he impregnated, of course. What a LAD! I've argued on his behalf so many times this month, but apparently I can't prove he didn't, so he obviously did, case solved. Fucking CSI Cramlington, a new franchise. FFFS.

A "true pro" hmmm not sure we can call him that anymore

You don't know what his problems are.  :lol:

Mick man, you don't need to know what his problems are to say that he should have at least acknowledged our fans and state his commitment to NUFC in that letter/quote. You make it sound that because nobody knows his problems, nobody is allowed to say anything remotely negative of him

Looks like his agent has written that to keep his options open with an eye to a summer move.

He needs to show commitment to the cause now and give some similar gesture to his own fans and his team mates. His privacy is fair enough, no one is asking for gossip. The people who pay his wages and turn out to watch him every week are those who deserve to know, not some club he played for 10 years ago. Otherwise I would seriously consider handing the armband to Cabaye. It's no good having a captain who is sulking. No one is bigger than the team and we are in a relegation fight. Might be better to take the spotlight off him as well.

It's a really strange set of circumstances. Hopefully he will commit and knuckle down from now until the summer because we need him.

Given our club's policies I'm not sure the board would be all that gutted to get him off the wagebill in summer. His resale value will decline rapidly given his age and his performances might too.

Having read the original in Spanish (some things get lost in translation - specially google translate!), it's sentiment is not as sharp as that which comes across in english. There is also a cultural thing here, in south america the language is very much "full of love" and quite "sickly" at times, so when you read Colo gushing about love for each and everyone it's really the equivalent of an englishman saying he has great mates and appreciates them.

Didn't see any harm at all in this letter... More an overreaction on this side (this forum aswell:)) due to incmprehension of another culture.

I don't really think it's the incomprehension of another culture that some here are a bit ticked off that he'd send an open letter thanking fans of another club while not one word of explaination or thanks to those of his current club who still gave him their support.

Stuff him. Let the whole charade start again in the summer but I wouldn't just let him walk away for free, we get something for him or retain his registration for his and San Lorenzos behaviour.

Yep, that letter does indeed sound like NOT PLAYING FOR SAN LORENZO is the issue here. Probably wants to fulfil a father's wish in seeing his son playing for them again?

Bit like when Ronaldo left Man Utd for Real Madrid..... he left because apparently his mother wanted him to play for them.

I have no doubt that Colo will give his all on and off the pitch. Not worried about that.

I really don't see a problem with Colo, he's one player I'm not worried about giving his all to the club. Still deserves the Captaincy, the fact is he's given his all for this club while he's been here, a true professional . Far as I'm concerned, none us knows what's really going on and probably never will. I would love if he did come out with a statement clearing all this shit up and put this situation to bed once and for all. I think Pardew has handled Colo situation rather well. 

I would have thought the captaincy issue would have been discussed in the conversation Pardew had with Colo and therefore the conclusion must have been that Colo was happy to continue as captain and Pardew was convinced that he would be in the right frame of mind.

If it looks like he is not coping then at least we have cover now and can rest him for a game or two.

I suspect once the possibility of it happening has gone he will be able to refocus, we've probably seen him at his most distracted on the pitch till now. It'll have been hanging over him. I still want to give him the benefit of the doubt, as I've said before he has knocked my confidence in him, and wish he'd say something to us fans by way of explanation, and I do think he's given enough that we should let him go in Summer if he still wants to, sad as it will be.

My view on it remains the same; I have too much time for him to denounce his actions until I know what's really happened. I'm so glad he's staying but if it's something really horrendous then I wouldn't have begrudged him leaving. Just putting myself in similar shoes, I have to do 6 months abroad for work at some point, if my girlfriend/a family member was really ill I'd probably want to come home. BUT if it's just leveraging and he wants out, then I will lose respect for him.

I don't think there's any other realistic and sensible way to look at the situation.