Fabricio Coloccini (now retired)

BeloEmre

So the whole thing has been a massive f*** up, all Colo has ever said "the only time i'd go back to argentina, was if i had personal problems" which translated into he has personal problems and wants to go home.

Hyped up by the media and random bullshit speculation.

Great.

or "what do i need to say to give me an easier few months here"

As negative as it is, this is how I read it as well :thup:

I can't help but thinking, if these personal problems were as serious as we were led to believe, there would have been more of a compromise, not just NUFC basically saying 'You're staying'.

Can someone cut and paste that as the Chronicle website doesn't work at work.

FABRICIO COLOCCINI has insisted that he would have only returned to Argentina for “personal problems” and in accordance to the wishes of Newcastle United.

The Magpies and their skipper worked through their problems last week, with the outcome that Coloccini stays at St James’ Park until at least the end of the season.

His decision to stay and his commitment to the cause pours cold water on claims that he would walk away from Newcastle or even replicate the behaviour of his fellow countryman Carlos Tevez, who went AWOL after a fall-out at Manchester City.

Coloccini wanted to thank fans for their patience on the matter today after a month of speculation that he would head home and pull on the shirt of San Lorenzo.

But he wanted to send a message out to Geordie fans first and foremost. He said today: “Every time I go on the pitch I try to say thank you.

“I try to give them my best performance. That’s the way players can say thank you to the fans.”

And he was happy to give a full explanation about a letter posted on San Lorenzo’s official website which painted the picture of a player that was devastated the move fell through.

He said: “In the last few days the newspapers picked up a letter that I wrote.

“The letter is true but the meaning of it is different once translated from Spanish to English.

“I never said that I would go back to San Lorenzo.

“I never spoke to any team, the only reason to go back to Argentina would have been personal problems.

“But they knew I am a supporter of San Lorenzo and the fans were excited because they thought ‘He supports us and this is a big chance to come to San Lorenzo’. The rumours were crazy because they thought I was coming back.

“I would like to say to the supporters of Newcastle United Football Club that I want to stay here and I thank them for supporting me.

“The last few weeks have been difficult for them, I recognise that.

“This is my work and my job and I have to separate my job and my life.

“Everybody in life has problems and it is normal, that is life.”

Coloccini has been a major part of Newcastle’s success story in the last three years.

He stuck with the club after relegation, and was a key figure in the team that were promoted from the Championship in 2010.

The year 2011 was all about helping stabilise the club under Alan Pardew and last season he became the first captain since Alan Shearer to lead a team back into Europe.

True, this year has been a major comedown for all concerned with United.

But the passions still run high on the streets of Newcastle and Coloccini has not once turned his back on any punter who approached him in the street to ask for answers.

He said: “A lot of Newcastle fans stopped me in the street here and said, ‘Colo, thank you for everything and your five years here, but whatever your best choice for your family is we will be happy’.

“It was really nice to hear that. I spent four years here already and this will be my fifth.

“The club will get 100% from me and the fans recognise that.

“So to me that is very special and I thank them.”

However, he accepts that some fans may not be as understanding.

The 31-year-old said: “Some fans may say, ‘I don’t care about your problem you should be here because we need you’.

“That is also true as well.

“I can understand that as well.

“We are in a difficult position and things aren’t the way we expected them to be at the start of the season.

“I can understand people’s point of view.

“Sometimes people think the player doesn’t care and that the shirt will always be more important than the player.

“So I can understand. The fans have to be sure that when I go on the pitch that I always try to give a thank you to those who support me and those who give me the opportunity to be here in the Premier League.”

So the whole thing has been a massive fuck up, all Colo has ever said "the only time i'd go back to argentina, was if i had personal problems" which translated into he has personal problems and wants to go home.

Hyped up by the media and random bullshit speculation.

Great.

I've said a few times that the most likely explanation was a fairly low-key request/discussion by Colo and the rest was Dad/San Lorenzo/the media hype.

More...

Since then United have worked closely with the defender to resolve what has emerged as a “personal problem” and when asked if the Geordie faithful were like a family to him, he told the Chronicle: “Yes. I always said that. I am alone here with my family, we don’t have the grandparents here or uncles and aunties.

“It does make it difficult. Not for me personally because I come to work everyday, but for my kids and wife.

“Here, though, the club and the fans are my family at the moment. The love that they give to me with my song and on the pitch for me is fantastic.

“It’s the best present they can give me.”

Coloccini arrived at St James’ Park under Kevin Keegan for a £10m fee from Deportivo la Coruna, and he instantly formed a bond with the club.

Asked what the club means to him, he said: “A lot. I have spent more time at this club than anywhere else in my career.

“This club will always be a big part of my life."

On Pardew...

Pardew has always been a rock of support to his players during tough times, and Coloccini told the Chronicle: “Yes, he always is.

“Every time in the last month or the last year he has been supportive.

“He knows a lot about me, about football and life.

“We met a lot of times. He said to me, ‘Listen, I am a person and you have to think like I’m your father’.

“He gave me advice and said, ‘I can speak to you like a manager and a father’.

“That is very important to me because he gave me a lot of help.”

oubts about Coloccini’s future piled on the misery for United fans after a season which has turned into a grim battle against relegation.

Yet he insists he is the only man for the job.

He said: “Some fans may have wondered ‘can he still be the captain if his head isn’t right?’

“But the manager still had he confidence in me to give it.

“It is extra motivation for me on top of the drive I already have, plus responsibility that I want to take. I will try to put the problems to one side.”

And to summarise...

He said: “If I look at the situation from a footballer’s point of view, it is perfect.

“I am the captain, we have good players already and have signed new faces.

“If I wanted to leave for football reasons, people could call me crazy.

“Why would I want to go back to Argentina?

“We have a great team and we are one of the biggest teams in the Premier League.

“The fans are unbelievable and now we’ve signed a few players who are going to be good for the team.

“I heard that people think I have a problem with the club.

“But I have no problem with anybody here – the staff are fantastic. It is just a personal problem.”

From those quotes it definitely seems like the personal problems are his family being homesick, especially this part:

I am alone here with my family, we don’t have the grandparents here or uncles and aunties. It does make it difficult. Not for me personally because I come to work everyday, but for my kids and wife.

Homesick  :rolleyes:

The guy is earning millions. His family can't make an effort to fit in? It's not like they're stuck here for life; he'll be finished in a few years, while the rest of us will be grafting with liver spots.