Fabricio Coloccini (now retired)

BeloEmre

We're absolutely f***ed if he leaves. Desperately need him to stay.

I thnk we would have went down last season if it wasn't for him coming back.

Despite it already being pointed out that we were safe regardless of him coming back?

Eh? He came back for the West Ham game when we were still in trouble and won us a point that game with an excellent performance. Then helped us to 3 against QPR where he was an absolute rock again (albeit against an extremely poor attacking side).

Think we already had enough points by then, as it turned out.

Shearer had the armband and no doubt commanded respect but everyone who's said anything has always pointed at Gary Speed being the glue that kept everyone together and was the true leader in the changing room.

Its Colos captaincy until someone else steps up to be that person for us as far as I'm concerned. I do however, see someone like Mapou (who was captain of Montpellier) possibly growing into that role. His quotes from when he signed showed a very, very mature young man with tremendous self confidence and leadership.

Yeah I think Mapou has a lot of promise as a future captain for NUFC.

We're absolutely f***ed if he leaves. Desperately need him to stay.

I thnk we would have went down last season if it wasn't for him coming back.

Despite it already being pointed out that we were safe regardless of him coming back?

Eh? He came back for the West Ham game when we were still in trouble and won us a point that game with an excellent performance. Then helped us to 3 against QPR where he was an absolute rock again (albeit against an extremely poor attacking side).

Oh right, get you now Stifler :thup:

Guest Nixon

He's told Argentinian telly he's staying.

Cutting edge reporting there. :razz:

I spent too long debating whether to put the first two words of the sentence in block capitals or not.

Guest ItalianMagpie

He could have come out of this in a better and more elegant way, mind. It's unsettling at best when your captain says he'd rather go back home and that he's staying cause he's forced to.

He could have come out of this in a better and more elegant way, mind. It's unsettling at best when your captain says he'd rather go back home and that he's staying cause he's forced to.

That would be patronising. It's been quite obvious he doesn't want to be here since January. However he's a professional on the pitch.

Can you really have a captain who doesnt want to play for you beyond respecting a contract?

What motivation does he have to play at his best & motivate the others to do likewise at this point?

Can you really have a captain who doesnt want to play for you beyond respecting a contract?

What motivation does he have to play at his best & motivate the others to do likewise at this point?

Probably not, no. I believe he did want to play for us until he arrived at his first training session though.

Guest antz1uk

I don't think it's that he doesn't want to play for us, he's said he loves the club, the fans n the area, it's just the circumstances that he'd rather be back home with his family, hes actually being professional and committing early on so it can all be sorted, well that's the naive me thinking anyway. To have clarity from him this early on is a huge bonus tbf

Guest ItalianMagpie

Yeah, we're used to players feeding us PR nonsense tbh, really refreshing to hear a footballer just tell us how he's feeling.

I'm just glad he's f***ing staying.

It would be refreshing if he was any other player; as the captain he's got some responsabilities, and I'm not sure it's great to hear that, for us and especially for his teammates.

Not saying he should lie or patronise, but I fail to see the need to add the part concerning the club forcing him to stay instead of simply stating he's gonna be our captain next year too.

It's not as simple as looking at the final table and thinking that we were safe.  If we hadn't got the 4 points from our 2nd and 3rd last games then Wigan would have had more of an incentive to get maximum points against Villa instead of drawing what was a meaningless game.

Coloccini is a massive part for why we are still in the top division, probably the biggest reason because after the Liverpool game we were only going in one direction.