Fabricio Coloccini (now retired)

BeloEmre

• 2 weeks later...
Pardew the key to keeping Coloccini at Newcastle United

26 Jun 2013 07:50

Alan Pardew is understood to have emerged as the key figure in convincing Fabricio Coloccini to continue leading the charge at Newcastle United next season

Alan Pardew is understood to have emerged as the key figure in convincing Fabricio Coloccini to continue leading the charge at Newcastle United next season.

The Chronicle understands the duo have remained in close contact over a summer of uncertainty on Tyneside.

Coloccini went public a fortnight ago to state that he was returning to United for the new season, however, crucially Pardew’s has proved to be the deciding factor in the Argentine’s reasoning not to quit for family reasons.

The ex-captain is well accustomed to the ways of new director of football Joe Kinnear after playing under him during his ill-fated managerial tenure.

But there has been no contact between Kinnear and Coloccini at this stage.

Indeed, Newcastle players were left just as shocked as fans as news of Kinnear’s appointment spread around the world after ChronicleLive broke the story 10 days ago.

Yet despite anger amongst fans the dust is starting to settle behind the scenes and the former Wimbledon boss has assured Pardew that he won’t interfere behind the scenes with tactics or selection.

That will be left solely to Pardew as he looks to turn the page after last term’s torrid season.

He will also hold face to face meetings with Yohan Cabaye and Hatem Ben Arfa with both understood to be bemused by the mispronouncing of their names as “Yohan Kebab” and “Ben Arfi” during Kinnear’s radio rant last week. Coloccini though has always made his views on Pardew quite clear, and said: “Alan has always been a great support to me.

“He has always shown confidence in me too.

“Whenever I have needed some advice he has always been around to help me.”

Pardew will have no hesitation in giving Coloccini the captain’s armband for the season ahead and the skipper’s return will be crucial in the dressing room when the Magpies regroup next month.

The club have confirmed that Coloccini will return to the club’s training camp and that he Cheick Tiote, Yohan Cabaye, Mathieu Debuchy and Papiss Cisse will recommence training in mid-July after an extended 10-day break due to international duty.

It means that United are likely to be without them for their opening fixture at Motherwell’s Fir Park on July 16.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/alan-pardew-key-keeping-fabricio-4711674?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Pardew the key to keeping Coloccini at Newcastle United

26 Jun 2013 07:50

Alan Pardew is understood to have emerged as the key figure in convincing Fabricio Coloccini to continue leading the charge at Newcastle United next season

Alan Pardew is understood to have emerged as the key figure in convincing Fabricio Coloccini to continue leading the charge at Newcastle United next season.

The Chronicle understands the duo have remained in close contact over a summer of uncertainty on Tyneside.

Coloccini went public a fortnight ago to state that he was returning to United for the new season, however, crucially Pardew’s has proved to be the deciding factor in the Argentine’s reasoning not to quit for family reasons.

The ex-captain is well accustomed to the ways of new director of football Joe Kinnear after playing under him during his ill-fated managerial tenure.

But there has been no contact between Kinnear and Coloccini at this stage.

Indeed, Newcastle players were left just as shocked as fans as news of Kinnear’s appointment spread around the world after ChronicleLive broke the story 10 days ago.

Yet despite anger amongst fans the dust is starting to settle behind the scenes and the former Wimbledon boss has assured Pardew that he won’t interfere behind the scenes with tactics or selection.

That will be left solely to Pardew as he looks to turn the page after last term’s torrid season.

He will also hold face to face meetings with Yohan Cabaye and Hatem Ben Arfa with both understood to be bemused by the mispronouncing of their names as “Yohan Kebab” and “Ben Arfi” during Kinnear’s radio rant last week. Coloccini though has always made his views on Pardew quite clear, and said: “Alan has always been a great support to me.

“He has always shown confidence in me too.

“Whenever I have needed some advice he has always been around to help me.”

Pardew will have no hesitation in giving Coloccini the captain’s armband for the season ahead and the skipper’s return will be crucial in the dressing room when the Magpies regroup next month.

The club have confirmed that Coloccini will return to the club’s training camp and that he Cheick Tiote, Yohan Cabaye, Mathieu Debuchy and Papiss Cisse will recommence training in mid-July after an extended 10-day break due to international duty.

It means that United are likely to be without them for their opening fixture at Motherwell’s Fir Park on July 16.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/alan-pardew-key-keeping-fabricio-4711674?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

What have I missed?

Joe Kinnear probably doesn't rate Colo because he hasn't seen him play in over 4 years.

No sure if there's any truth to Kinnear not rating him. He bought Colo to this club in the first place.

Joe moulded him well.

Exactly. He had a bad start and it was only through Joe's guidance that he managed to find his feet again culminating in the 2 team of the year awards.

• 2 weeks later...

“Colo made it very clear in the summer that he is coming back to play this season.

“He really has the bit between his teeth.

“He wants to play in the World Cup in Brazil not to mention Newcastle United’s season.

“Me and him have had a lot of discussions about last year and they were very constructive I have to say.

"He wants to come back, and he wants to lead us. He showed at the back end of last year how important he is to us.

“When he played we looked a different team.

“I was a little bit disappointed with some of the Press about that" (Colo's private problems).

“It was a personal situation. It is difficult for that to play out in the Press as it did.

“It was uncomfortable for him and for me. I still won’t talk about it because it is not fair on Colo.

“I have spoken to him two or three times.

“He’s due back a little bit later as I gave him a couple of extra days off.

“He will be back on July 18.

“He finished so late with Argentina this summer.”

Simon Bird ‏@simonbirdmirror 3m

Pards on Coloccini in Chron: “I was a little bit disappointed with some of the Press about that."

Expand

The club captain asks to quit mid-season for mystery reasons. Apologies for thinking that was a story and asking lots of questions about it.

It was only a mystery too them because we said it was personal. That wasn't good enough for the press who wanted Colo to tell the whole world what his private problems were. Can't stand the press, they are horrible hounding wankers who love to try and bring this club down at any given opportunity.

Us against the world attitude. I like it  :snod:

Support Leeds or Liverpool then, and spend your spare time developing into a classless prick and devising plans to attack opposing goalkeepers.

Pards on Coloccini in Chron: “I was a little bit disappointed with some of the Press about that."

Expand

The club captain asks to quit mid-season for mystery reasons. Apologies for thinking that was a story and asking lots of questions about it.

It was only a mystery too them because we said it was personal. That wasn't good enough for the press who wanted Colo to tell the whole world what his private problems were. Can't stand the press, they are horrible hounding wankers who love to try and bring this club down at any given opportunity.

Completely agree. No idea why Bird's got his knickers in a twist, I doubt Pardew was objecting to the literal reporting of the story... more the speculation about the private reasons etc.

Expand

It was only a mystery too them because we said it was personal. That wasn't good enough for the press who wanted Colo to tell the whole world what his private problems were. Can't stand the press, they are horrible hounding w*****s who love to try and bring this club down at any given opportunity.

Support Leeds or Liverpool then, and spend your spare time developing into a classless prick and devising plans to attack opposing goalkeepers.

Hello there Mr Bird...