Fabricio Coloccini (now retired)

BeloEmre

Would hardly say he was immense like. Anichebe was giving him the run around for most of the game but it was a definite improvement on the awful displays he had been putting in in the first 6 or so games of the season. About time he put in a performance tbf.

He's been great for weeks. You biased.

Anichebe rolled him once. That was it from what I saw

Coloccini has been individually responsible for several goals we've conceded this season, you can't blame Williamson for that.

And since he is, you know, the captain of the club, the senior centre-back, almost certainly the highest-paid player at the club and he has been consistently poor up until the last few weeks and yet is seemingly undroppable I think it's fair that he come in for a bit of criticism.

Said it before but it's hardly a coincidence he and the team are defending better as soon as Williamson went out the team. Not saying it's all down to that but he makes a big difference.

Williamson and Taylor both tend to revert to type. If one or the other has been out of the team for a while and come back at the expense of the other one they normally start off quite solid, but then they both end up becoming a liability until the other one is ready to come in and take them out of the firing line.

Said it before but it's hardly a coincidence he and the team are defending better as soon as Williamson went out the team. Not saying it's all down to that but he makes a big difference.

Williamson and Taylor both tend to revert to type. If one or the other has been out of the team for a while and come back at the expense of the other one they normally start off quite solid, but then they both end up becoming a liability until the other one is ready to come in and take them out of the firing line.

For me this has been the case for a couple of years now. It's like a mental fatigue/concentration issue with them two that Colo isn't AS susceptible to.

For me this has been the case for a couple of years now. It's like a mental fatigue/concentration issue with them two that Colo isn't AS susceptible to.

maybe with Williamson but with Taylor he just breaks after a few games.

“I’m very happy to have scored,” said the 32-year-old. “We have had some bad moments, but it’s important that we enjoy these times.

“I enjoyed celebrating with my team-mates and in front of the fans and, more importantly, getting the win for the team.

“It has been a long time since I scored a goal – too long. I can’t even remember when it was, and it was nice to put that right. But I just try to help the team and want to keep us going on this run.

“It has been a very good week for the team and a very good week Jonas too.

“I am going to see him now, to spend a few days with him and give him all the messages of support from his team-mates, the staff, the fans and the club. It will be nice to see him.

“The goal was for him. It has been a great week for everyone.”

His goal scoring celebrations are quite epic - that Spurs goal he scored he went absolutley nuts, was f***ing awesome.

Wigan home too when he equalised in the last minute!

Cardiff is still my favourite. Kept the ball after a shit corner, swung it back out to Ryan Taylor, stormed into the box, murdered it, went mad.

Nobby Solano has paid tribute to Toon captain Fabricio Coloccini for steering Newcastle United through choppy waters.

It is believed that the United skipper draped a protective bubble over some of the club’s younger players during the winless first eight games of the Premier League season, and urged them to continue fighting for the black and white cause.

The Argentinian star is thought to have told players not to worry about the pressure and criticism coming from outside of the four walls at St James’ Park, and focus on playing their natural game.

Coloccini has also taken Ayoze Perez under his wing and accompanied him to reserve-team games and on other social outings since he arrived from Tenerife.

Fast forward one month and United have won five games and are sitting in eighth place in the Premier League.

Coloccini’s fine form has been a key part of the transformation in recent weeks, and after he fittingly grabbed the game-sealing goal to extend the run to five victories, every single outfield player mobbed the South American in front of the Toon Army.

Solano gave an insight into Coloccini’s work as skipper in the dressing room.

He told the Chronicle: “I know Colo very well and he does so much behind the scenes.

“He works with the young players very well and makes them get used to life in Newcastle, because he’s been there himself.

“He’s a great, great captain to have in your locker room.

“Colo is a guy who gives you everything.

“He is the first to arrive at the training ground every morning and he’s the last to leave.

“He’s 100% professional and always wants to do well.”

Fabricio Coloccini celebrates scoring for Newcastle United against West Bromwich Albion at the Hawthorns Fabricio Coloccini celebrates scoring for Newcastle United against West Bromwich Albion at the Hawthorns 

Coloccini suffered a spate of indifferent form when he first arrived at Newcastle from Deportivo la Coruna in 2008.

The defender endured relegation but found the Championship as the ideal platform to steady himself and returned a stronger player.

Solano said: “Colo has the experience to go out and show the lads the way, he leads the way.

“He’s doing quite well and if he keeps it up he could be a candidate for player of the season at Newcastle.

“I am so pleased for him.

“He has come through some tough periods at the club and he has been questioned.

“He gets stronger and he comes through adversity.

“Remember he stayed at the club after relegation and he’s still here now.

“It was great to see him get the goal.

“It was a significant moment in the season and I am so glad he got it.”