On the up, or doomed to failure?

JH
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

In 2008/2009, we had a manger resign on September 1st, saw the owner try to sell the club and fail, appointed a certifiable lunatic as manager, saw said lunatic nearly keel over and die to be replaced with somebody with no managerial experience whatsoever, who was then subsequently replaced with no managerial experience whatsoever. After all that, we would have stayed up if a stray ball didn't hit Damien Duff's arse and roll into the net.

It takes a lot to get relegated.

That said, current events do admittedly look like a promising first step for a new chain along those lines :lol:

:lol: I'm almost nostalgic. What a year.

In 2008/2009, we had a manger resign on September 1st, saw the owner try to sell the club and fail, appointed a certifiable lunatic as manager, saw said lunatic nearly keel over and die to be replaced with somebody with no managerial experience whatsoever, who was then subsequently replaced with no managerial experience whatsoever. After all that, we would have stayed up if a stray ball didn't hit Damien Duff's arse and roll into the net.

That said, current events do admittedly look like a promising first step for a new chain along those lines :lol:

That year man. I just wanted the club to somehow be erased from my memory. I didn't want to support a team owned by Mike Ashley and managed by Joe Kinnear.

Still paid nearly $1000 to go see us lose to Fulham away. :lol:

That year man. I just wanted the club to somehow be erased from my memory. I didn't want to support a team owned by Mike Ashley and managed by Joe Kinnear.

Still paid nearly $1000 to go see us lose to Fulham away. :lol:

:lol: If there is no 30 for 30 for that season, ESPN is bullshit.

What a pre-season....

1. Nolan is sold

2. Fans invade pitch

3. 3 players are refused visas to USA

4. Hatem Ben Arfa is out for 2 months with injury

5. Jose Enrique twitter outburst

6. Team loses on an artificial pitch to Orlando

7. Rumours of dressing room discontent

8. Cheik Tiote is not present with visa problems

9. A loss to leeds where various players dont feature

10. Joey Barton incident

Ideal pre-season?

:lol:

You missed first team players not going to America/coming back early due to the absolute lottery of timescales that is childbirth - I mean it's not like they can pin down a probable period it's due or anything.

And not once have we even come close to playing that elusive 'best team' that proves we have improved the squad this summer.

This club will never be truly secure as long as Ashley and co are still in charge. I've never really felt secure or optimistic about the club's future since the Keegan fiasco, even when we were romping the Championship and relatively comfortable pretty much for most of last season.

20-15th, we sucked so much without barton and nolan last year, no chance we're replacing them,.

You don't think Marveaux, Cabaye and Ben Arfa are good additions?

That's beside the point. How does taking that stance aid the Cocknee Wankas Out campaign?

Since the removal of Keegan the stripping out of the club of anyone who represents the 'footballing establishment' has been inevitable. Its a good thing that it is finally over today: we can look forward.

The reality of a football club to the supporters, to us who love the sign and the proper name; this is nothing like the reality of the club to Ashley and Lambias, two mechanics greasing an abstract machine which monetises signification. What they want to ensure is that the club runs as transparently and efficiently as possible according to their own understanding of it: an understanding which is based on exchanges of money*. As such, it has been necessary to cut out these little islands of resistance, bastions of molar identity like Hughton, Nolan or Barton who try to become loci of power (the value of power is unpredictable, incalculable).

Ashley has already faced the worst possible scenario – relegation, and has learned that the club can essentially survive through it. Knowledge that this can happen despite a Faustian pact with the establishment (Shearer!) has given him to freedom to try and cut himself away from orthodoxy. Essentially, he is in a position where the underlying reality (the finance) allows him to try and reform the club according to his own principles. Good. Most of the received opinion which silts up football culture sits between nonsense and platitude. Let's welcome this chance to get beyond this monster called 'football' which becomes like: “A kind of spider of imperative and finality hidden behind the great web, the greater net of causality – we could say, with Charles the Bold when he opposed Louis XI, “I fight the universal spider” (Nietzsche, The Genealogy of Morals). Can we not say, along with Mike, lets fight the spider of banal conventionality in football, this morass of ex-pros who think that their skill with a ball translates into a natural monopoly of all decision making and management functions around the game?

The loss of Barton is the jettisoning of the past, and who the fuck wants the past to repeat itself over again? Just because it happened last season, is that sufficient reason to will its return?

Anything could happen next season, we've thrown the dice up at noon and will not see them fall until midnight. For my part, I'm glad that we've taken his risk. On the up, 6th.

* What is at the base of Ashley’s obsession with the performance-related bonus? Exactly this same impulse. Ashley wants motivation to stem from the possibility of pure exchange – money – rather than from some loyalty to the idea.

Since the removal of Keegan the stripping out of the club of anyone who represents the 'footballing establishment' has been inevitable. Its a good thing that it is finally over today: we can look forward.

The reality of a football club to the supporters, to us who love the sign and the proper name; this is nothing like the reality of the club to Ashley and Lambias, two mechanics greasing an abstract machine which monetises signification. What they want to ensure is that the club runs as transparently and efficiently as possible according to their own understanding of it: an understanding which is based on exchanges of money*. As such, it has been necessary to cut out these little islands of resistance, bastions of molar identity like Hughton, Nolan or Barton who try to become loci of power (the value of power is unpredictable, incalculable).

Ashley has already faced the worst possible scenario – relegation, and has learned that the club can essentially survive through it. Knowledge that this can happen despite a Faustian pact with the establishment (Shearer!) has given him to freedom to try and cut himself away from orthodoxy. Essentially, he is in a position where the underlying reality (the finance) allows him to try and reform the club according to his own principles. Good. Most of the received opinion which silts up football culture sits between nonsense and platitude. Let's welcome this chance to get beyond this monster called 'football' which becomes like: “A kind of spider of imperative and finality hidden behind the great web, the greater net of causality – we could say, with Charles the Bold when he opposed Louis XI, “I fight the universal spider” (Nietzsche, The Genealogy of Morals). Can we not say, along with Mike, lets fight the spider of banal conventionality in football, this morass of ex-pros who think that their skill with a ball translates into a natural monopoly of all decision making and management functions around the game?

The loss of Barton is the jettisoning of the past, and who the fuck wants the past to repeat itself over again? Just because it happened last season, is that sufficient reason to will its return?

Anything could happen next season, we've thrown the dice up at noon and will not see them fall until midnight. For my part, I'm glad that we've taken his risk. On the up, 6th.

* What is at the base of Ashley’s obsession with the performance-related bonus? Exactly this same impulse. Ashley wants motivation to stem from the possibility of pure exchange – money – rather than from some loyalty to the idea.

Utter load of toss.

20-15th, we sucked so much without barton and nolan last year, no chance we're replacing them,.

You don't think Marveaux, Cabaye and Ben Arfa are good additions?

Don't know yet, hope they are! (Ben Arfa is, if he can stay fit :) )

Guest BooBoo

"Bastions of molar identity." "spider of banal conventionality"

For god's sake, shut the fucking hell up with that tripe, you tit.

"Bastions of molar identity." "spider of banal conventionality"

For god's sake, shut the fucking hell up with that tripe, you tit.

:lol:

And they say football has lost its working class roots.

I think we've recruited well, and even without Barton and Nolan, we've got a better side than the one that finished last season.

I was actually looking forward to the new season as we've potentially got a new, more skilful style as well as new players. The Nolan-Barton-Enrique incidents have left a bad taste in the mouth, and it needs the new side to bond and rally together. Whether Colo is the man to do that particular job, I'm not sure, but the new lads all seem keen.

This last week has been depressing but, in football, moods can change very quickly.