Gabriel Obertan signs for Anzhi

Optimistic Nut

He tracks back to be fair to him and put in some decent challenges. Has a good first touch but he isn't the most intelligent footballer, some of his runs could be a lot better.

He has the pace and if he got his runs right , he would thrive on some of the passes from Cabaye.

He has a bit of the Jonas-esque refusing to attack...he has the ability and the pace to beat a man but sometimes just refuses to and launches a pass back to Colo or Tiote...Jonas was much better today with this and go his head up a bit more, but Obertan dissapointed again...maybe he is destined to be an impact sub?

Isn't "impact player" just a handy euphemism to describe someone who can't cut it for the full 90 minutes? ???

:pow:

kind of like Walcott earlier in his career...(or now unless he plays his absolute best...)

but yeah mainly like against Arsenal, he seems more confident to dictate play with his pace when the game is stretched due to tiredness later on. The famous showdown sprint with Sagna wouldnt have happened right at the start of the game when Sagna was full of energy, nor would it have happened with Obertan having been on for 70mins...

just my opinion like, but id take that for £3mil tbh...

Can't really see how he wasn't anything but promising tbh. I thought he was excellent on the counter for us, displayed some lovely skills, put in some good running, great challenges and went on some useful cross pitch dribbles that opened up a lot of space for other players. His ball to Ba was also spot on for the second goal.

He's a strange player in that he does the difficult things very well but the simple stuff is hit and miss, which is usually down to confidence. He lacks self belief at times, that's very evident when it comes to the business end of the pitch but I remember someone who'd watched him a lot, claimed he'd be 'brutal'. So far, that's not been the case for me as he's put in 2 bright, if flawed performances and one poorer one.

Found him frustrating today. You can see he has pace and ability to beat a man, he does a bit of donkey work but he doesn't seem to think too much. That time when he stopped it going for a corner when he was alone in the final third.  :doh:

Better than I expected tbh after watching the extended highlights. He must have been horrific in live play to justify some of the criticisms posted here by our members at the ground.

He really was.

If he's a headless chicken in the Dyer mode I'll take that for now. I know lots of our knowledgeable fans hated Dyer for his extreme pace and supposed brainless running but I sort of agreed with that clueless old buffoon SBR in that he was a key player for us in his heyday.

I'll reserve judgement until he's fully up to speed fitness wise after a few games and has got to know playing with the other players better. I think he'll improve as his confidence improves and at the very least his pace in the side at the moment alone offers a threat we haven't had esp on the counter attack away from home. The fact he's willing to work and tackle is a big plus too.

Type of player who doesn't need mongs shouting at him after a few games to truly dent his confidence.

Hit and miss going forward, still reminded me of a better Routledge yesterday.  Just gets up to speed, then checks and passes it instead of going at the full back.  Only went at Briggs a couple of times, but done him late on in the first half.  Drifts about a fair bit as well.

Very impressed with his tracking back though, made some excellent tackles.  Really didn't expect to see that from him.

Really frustrates me how unwilling he is to run at people. Especially as he's got all of the tools to do so.

Aye, he does look like a guy lacking self belief a bit to me, when he gets the ball with a bit of space in front of him he should be just looking to drive at the defense but he doesn't seem willing to do so.

Don't see him as a Dyer at all, he strikes me as someone who even if he gets it together will always be a bit of a hit and miss winger type. But that's nothing to be too upset about in a winger, as long as he produces enough in the way of hits and keeps up the level of effort we saw yesterday then he can be a good player for us.

The right wing spot is there for the taking for him too tbh, with Marveaux and Jonas being better fits on the left.

Really frustrates me how unwilling he is to run at people. Especially as he's got all of the tools to do so.

Aye, he does look like a guy lacking self belief a bit to me, when he gets the ball with a bit of space in front of him he should be just looking to drive at the defense but he doesn't seem willing to do so.

Don't see him as a Dyer at all, he strikes me as someone who even if he gets it together will always be a bit of a hit and miss winger type. But that's nothing to be too upset about in a winger, as long as he produces enough in the way of hits and keeps up the level of effort we saw yesterday then he can be a good player for us.

The right wing spot is there for the taking for him too tbh, with Marveaux and Jonas being better fits on the left.

Probably more to do with instructions tbh.

• 2 weeks later...

He was pretty bad today imo, he seems to have abillty but he just dosn't use it, whenever he gets on the ball i expect him to take the man on or do something creative but he keeps disappointing me, still think there is a good player in him somewhere, just hope he makes the step-up soon as its getting frustrating to watch him start when we've got good options on the bench.