Gabriel Obertan signs for Anzhi

Optimistic Nut

Another no show, hope he's gone in January.

Yeah with Gosling, Vuckic, Willo, Shola, Harper, Simpson and some others so we won´t have any players left. Because playing with 5 men is better than having Obertan at the bench.

Another no show, hope he's gone in January.

Yeah with Gosling, Vuckic, Willo, Shola, Harper, Simpson and some others so we won´t have any players left. Because playing with 5 men is better than having Obertan at the bench.

Nice straw man.

Obertan's shit.

I think he should be loaned out for 3 months in the championship, give him some game time and hopefully he will realise he has some talent and can go past people. Or he will get snapped, have his confidence shattered and be even worse.

Another frustrating performance from him once again. He just wouldn't run at his man, Tavernier/Perch were more threatening offensively than him.

And on the occasions when he did run at his man, he just dawdled with the ball. His footballing mental capacity is virtually non-existent.

I think he should be loaned out for 3 months in the championship, give him some game time and hopefully he will realise he has some talent and can go past people. Or he will get snapped, have his confidence shattered and be even worse.

I'm for this. Give him a reality check.

My latest theory is that he's a good athlete who should use his main assets of strength and pace. Unfortunately, he's got it in his head that he's a skilful player who is capable of all sorts of sophisticated stuff on the ball. He isn't, so he ends up confused.

Just a thought.

Sometimes you see him make a move to do something but his legs don't follow. Like you can see him trying to beat a defender with stepovers but he makes a move sideways and then miscontrols the ball. His touch is similar, sometimes he seems to be anticipating the ball then loses concentration and it bangs off him and goes out for a throw. It's fucking bizarr

What was very apparent tonight is that he is too lazy to be a winger. Didn't track back, didn't cover, didn't pressure the full-back. Some quality players such as Robert,HBA(although he has improved his work rate tenfold)etc. can get away with it.  He would probably suit a more central attacking role IMO.

I think Obertan has been better of late and I have more time for him now as he is showing signs of improvement. I don't think he took on buttner too much as he is pretty rapid himself.

It's all about confidence with Obertan, just look at that europa league game at home where he beat his man within the first few minutes and then knew he would have the beating of him all night and went on to have probably his best game for us so far.

I don't get how he's apparently Maradona in training, according to Pardew, who has a hard time leaving him out of the team, and then serves up dross each time he's given a chance. Maybe it's a mental thing? And just how good can he be in training?

We heard the same rubbish about Shola for years. It's a way of trying to dissuade the crowd from making cast iron judgements and being loudly critical at SJP.

This

The fact is the vast majority of times he has been crap when playing for the first team and Pardew needs to give these opportunities to someone else