Rob Elliot (now at Gateshead)

EthiGeordie

Merino convinced him to not punt it long once and then three passes later it got back to him and he booted it into the sky.

He has no redeeming qualities aside from the occasional reaction save.

I feel like a broken record but it's criminal we haven't upgraded this position. Keepers are ridiculously affordable in this market.

Clearly and rather baffling, Rafa sees him as the best of the 4 keepers. Krul is obviously so far out of favour he might as well become a postman, Darlow who is marginally better (just imo) is also out of favour it seems.

Woodham looks the best but is inexperienced and Rafa doesn't like that does he. So i suppose Blob the useless is our number 1 for now. Great days.

Hi kicking was as bad as Krul's. no chance for the goal mind.

I thought he was slow to react to the shot and was too far over to the right side of his goal. EDIT Look at how their keeper reacted to Ritches shot.

Tim Krul is still far and away the best keeper at the club and I am staggered that he isn't even training with the first team.

If Rafa has written Krul off completely then I'd stick Woodman in on Wednesday.

Considering that Rafa has written Darlow off, but reckons Woodman has a future at the club, anything other than Woodman starting on Tuesday will be really fucking annoying.

Hi kicking was as bad as Krul's. no chance for the goal mind.

I thought he was slow to react to the shot and was too far over to the right side of his goal. EDIT Look at how their keeper reacted to Ritches shot.

Tim Krul is still far and away the best keeper at the club and I am staggered that he isn't even training with the first team.

Yeah, in some ways the difference yesterday was the goalkeepers. They actually bought a new keeper and who saved Ritchie's effort. Meanwhile Elliot is nowhere near Mooy's goal. Add to that his atrocious kicking of the ball constantly putting us under pressure and we are always going to struggle.

Not sure Krul would be any better mind, put simply we need a new goalkeeper urgently.

Well I never said he should have saved it, just pointing out the comparisons with Huddersfield actually signing a goalkeeper who pulled off a really good save. Elliot would never have saved Ritchie's shot if the roles were reversed.

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/844027/Rob-Elliot-Newcastle-News-Rafa-Benitez-Mike-Ashley-Joey-Barton

Rob Elliot SLAMS Newcastle's increasing negativity

ROB ELLIOT has hit out at the growing negativity gripping troubled Newcastle.

By PETER EDWARDS

PUBLISHED: 22:30, Mon, Aug 21, 2017

And the goalkeeper claims the flak is affecting the Toon players who have endured a nightmare start to life back in the Premier League.

Newcastle are goalless and pointless after two games with manager Rafa Benitez increasingly frustrated at the lack of backing he has received from owner Mike Ashley.

The uneasy relationship between the pair is impacting on the dressing room and fans are already fearing a relegation scrap.

Elliot admits gloom and uncertainty has replaced the excitement of promotion.

“It feels like the joy and unbelievable feeling of coming up has been shrouded since then,” he said. “It seems to have gone away very quickly, before we even kicked a ball.

“That’s out of our hands and the manager’s. The only thing we can do is make sure we do the right things on the pitch and work hard in training.”

Outspoken former Toon midfielder Joey Barton has accused Benitez of moaning too much and having too little faith in his squad.

While Elliot won’t criticise his manager, he feels Newcastle’s critics are wrong to write them off just two games into the season.

“With the stories flying around saying, ‘We haven’t got enough’, I don’t think it’s very fair on the squad. They did a terrific job last year and we’ve brought in some good players.

“We just wanted it to be about looking forward to the Premier League season. Unfortunately, it’s not been like that.

“Playing for Newcastle isn’t like playing for other clubs. The pressure and expectation that comes with it, you’ve got to be able to handle that. We have to stay strong as a group.”

The 1-0 defeat at fellow Premier League newcomers Huddersfield means the Magpies have lost their opening two top-flight games for the first time since 1999 under Ruud Gullit.

Like Benitez, however, Elliot insists it is far too early to press the panic button.

“We didn’t want to start off with two defeats but we did that last year and won the league,” he said.

“I’m not saying we’re going to win the league but I don’t think it means the world’s coming to an end and we have to look with despair.

“I just think we need to gel, get settled and push on for ourselves.”

Guest neesy111

Get out of jail free card for the players all this criticism surrounding the club.  Despite us not having the quality we would like, we really should be playing better than yesterday, thought there was lack of hunger yesterday.