Rob Elliot (now at Gateshead)

EthiGeordie

Guest firetotheworks

Not his fault today. Pathetic marking to blame.

Pathetic? Really? We were a bit weak, but it's normally one of our strengths and there were two fouls in there.

Of course it is, but the marking on that set piece was horrifically slack. Potential foul on Mbemba but the two lads marking Hemed were poor too, for our usual high standards it was horrendously sloppy.

Think that's all a bit hyperbolic tbh. It wasn't great, but if that was those things I'm not sure what the scale is anymore.

Made a great save. Top draw.

But looking at their goal again, why the f*** does he lean back? Surely if he stand up straight it's easy to catch/punch? I think he's trying to tip it over the bar out of danger but misses it completely.

He had no chance with the goal like. You would have to look at the fact that the marking was poor and there was one, possibly two fouls in there, before you look at the keeper.

Fuck it, I think he has been good this season. His distribution is getting loads better (obviously down to Rafa)

Don't think the goal he conceaded was as unstoppable as some people made out. De Gea/Courtois would have definitely saved it however he was solid enough and I would be happy to keep him as number one if it meant we upgraded our attacking options at Xmas.

When Sturridge came through at him second half he flew out and claimed it first, was a great bit of keeping.

Think he's far better off the line this season than he was when we went down. We need to upgrade him but he hasn't done a great deal wrong this season other than some shite kicking.

I actually think his reactions are top notch, this season he's made several really good saves where he hardly has any time to adjust. But no way I'd expect any goalkeeper to stop a shot like that, I think he did well to get as close as he did. If he was athletic and good at kicking he'd be nowhere near out team, mind.

Do we ever concede a goal that isn’t Elliot’s fault? Or a goal that someone else somewhere would have prevented in some way?

:lol: Good point. Football is all about mistakes. IIRC it was Gullit who said that football without mistakes means 0-0 every game.

No major complaints about Elliott so far this season. He's obviously delighted to be at a club like NUFC, and he's clearly working hard to improve. An upgrade would be ideal, but to be fair to the fat scrote, he's not as big of a worry as I thought he would be back in the PL.

Do we ever concede a goal that isn’t Elliot’s fault? Or a goal that someone else somewhere would have prevented in some way?

No.

It's quite clear that despite the consensus Elliot has been generally excellent so far this season, if we'd had someone else in goal our goals against would currently be zero  :lol:

As always, the truth is somewhere in the middle.  But people will continue to over exaggerate to somehow make their point seem more valid. 

I don't think anyone is blaming Elliot for every goal?  Nor are they saying some hypothetical, imaginary goalkeeper would have saved every shot he's faced :lol: