Rob Elliot (now at Gateshead)

EthiGeordie

Guest neesy111

It is pretty embarrassing a GK is sent off for 2 yellow cards.  Some GK's won't get that many in a season.

With Harper retiring at the end of the season I'd like us to go and get a young up and coming GK to be number 2 next season, demoting Elliot to number 3.

Why? Elliot has done well as the number 2 this season, and has been impressive on occasions, he's still young (for a goalkeeper anyway) and up and coming as well.

Think there was an article saying we will not be bringing in another GK in the summer, with Alnwick as 3rd choice going out on loan for needed experience.

I think Elliott has proven himself enough to be given another season as backup goalie, although we will need to re-evaluate that if Krul breaks down for months again next season.

With Harper retiring at the end of the season I'd like us to go and get a young up and coming GK to be number 2 next season, demoting Elliot to number 3.

Why? Elliot has done well as the number 2 this season, and has been impressive on occasions, he's still young (for a goalkeeper anyway) and up and coming as well.

Not good enough to be number 2 imho. He's done alright compared to my low expectations of him, but I wouldn't want to rely on him too much. Especially considering Krul seems to be picking up a lot of niggly injuries keeping him out for weeks at a time lately, and I don't believe we have a youngster currently good enough waiting in the wings.

I think Elliott has proven himself enough to be given another season as backup goalie, although we will need to re-evaluate that if Krul breaks down for months again next season.

All depends if that shoulder injury is going to be recurrent. Need another guy in if that's the case.

What does the rules actually say? That the ball or the body of the keeper with the ball can't be outside the area?

In regards to Elliot, he seems a very limited goalkeeper, not horrible, but not very good as well. Good enough to be number 2 though, as long as Krul doesn't get any long injuries.

I seem to remember keepers nearly sliding out of the box but managing to keep their hands/the ball in so I think as long as the ball is in the box it isn't a problem.

Guest bimpy474

FFS what is wrong with you fucking spanners. The rules are the same, the same as the last god knows how many years you have been watching the fucking game.

The ball, it's the ball that counts. Absolute new class of absolute spackers.

Ball has to be inside the area, not the keeper. Like everywhere else on the pitch, it is the position of the ball that matters.

Has'nt seen any conclusive images yet, but i really feel he was harsely done by with such a marginal decision.

I don't think the ball was in the area when he went for it. Which made his decision to catch it rather than head/kick/knee it out even more bizarre.

Harsh from the ref, no surprise there, as I don't think he could see it but I do think he was outside the area.

I see from his Twitter account that he is having an operation on his elbow on Friday: -

Robert Elliot ‏@the_dilsh 13h

So what to do?! Can't do much till my op on Friday. Elbow finally getting a service!! 3 years over due!!

Robert Elliot ‏@the_dilsh 12h

Been sore from the west brom game so now we are safe be good to get it done and start fresh next season!! Thanks for the messages!!

"I can look back over a fantastic year," said the 27-year-old.

"I've had quite a few highlights and a few lowlights but that point against West Ham earlier this month was massive. It gave us the belief that everything was going to be okay and took us to within touching distance of safety.

"Other great moments were making my Premier League debut against Southampton, playing a part in our European adventure and keeping two clean sheets against Anzhi - it was fantastic.

"I also just love playing at St. James' Park. You can't beat it. It's a fantastic stadium and arena to play in and hopefully I've got more to come."

Bobby Elliot channeling Interpolic's spirit here. :lol:

http://www.nufc.co.uk/articles/20130522/robs-perfect-timing-for-elbow-op_2281670_3187780?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

• 3 months later...

Aye. part from almost costing us two goals and barely being able to catch a ball. He did well.

Spends too much time trying to push players in the box, instead of concentrating on the ball. Joe Hart syndrome.

He didn't command his area at all from set pieces. But then our defending from those looked almost as disorganised and clueless  as our attacking from set pieces tbf. I'd put it down to coaching failure again.

He didn't command his area at all from set pieces. But then our defending from those looked almost as disorganised and clueless  as our attacking from set pieces tbf. I'd put it down to coaching failure again.

not many keepers do these days with tactics designed around keeping them on the line.

not many keepers do these days with tactics designed around keeping them on the line.

He didn't stay on the line though. He could have punched a few clear even if he wasn't going to catch them. In the end it was defenders on the line that saved his bacon.