Newcastle United 2 - 1 Fulham - 28/08/11 - post-match reaction from page 48

Dave

Krul, Cabaye, Best & Ba doing really well in the highlights, while Obertan looking like he could be useful. Could we be actually piecing a decent team together? Get Roux and Santon types and it could Be a cracker of a season.

was woeful in the first half

highlights were deceiving

Really? I thought he was easily our best player in the first half. Frustrating and clearly still lacking a bit of confidence but he was the only player interested in making anything happen. Was impressed with his tracking back, made some tasty tackles especially in the first half.

We were absolutely horrible in the first half and not alot better in the second overall. Actually looked worse than the Scunthorpe game, which is probably about right given we produced a similar performance against greater opposition.

Colo was tremendous again having to play two positions for most of the game (covering Raylor). Smart decision to double up on Duff. I shat myself everytime it was Raylor and Duff anyone one on one.

Lovenkrands was utter bilge, Best was not much better but at least he put himself about a bit. We played so narrow and the pitch was so congested, we were falling over each other. Think Tiote was possibly the worst player on the pitch in the first half, needless freekicks, lunges, horrible control and passing. I think he forgot which way we were playing he passed back so much my head nearly exploded. He was also lucky not to get sent off let alone escape a yellow. Much better in the second half though.

All in all the back four didnt do too bad and Krul was immense yet again.

Cabaye definately looked better from 35mins on. He is a firecracker, can see both him and Tiote getting reds this season.

Overall a really scary performance but at least we gritted it out. If we dont get a few decent players in before the window closes we could be in real shit. Hopefully the team starts gelling, but we certainly look like we have gone 6 years backwards to the Souness days.

Not a great performance BUT importantly we got the 3 points and we have had a great start (from the same games last season we managed 3 points so an improvement  :clap: )

We started off poorly, like we have done for every game this season BUT at least we got back into the game and then played well, Cabaye especially was very good

It was typical of us to make the last 10 minutes an edgy performance, gave away too many free kicks and were on the back foot

I would like to add if you are the guy or know the guy that keeps shouting "you're going the wrong way" whenever we passed the ball back, you/he does not have a clue, so frustrating hearing shite like that  :rant: :rant:

We struggled to keep the ball at the start, so it was good when we started passing it around (regardless of the direction) BUT some knacker moans and groans because a pass is not made towards the goal, ffs. A forward pass is not always possible, keeping the ball is key

Krul, Cabaye, Best & Ba doing really well in the highlights, while Obertan looking like he could be useful. Could we be actually piecing a decent team together? Get Roux and Santon types and it could Be a cracker of a season.

Really? I thought he was easily our best player in the first half. Frustrating and clearly still lacking a bit of confidence but he was the only player interested in making anything happen. Was impressed with his tracking back, made some tasty tackles especially in the first half.

We were absolutely horrible in the first half and not alot better in the second overall. Actually looked worse than the Scunthorpe game, which is probably about right given we produced a similar performance against greater opposition.

Colo was tremendous again having to play two positions for most of the game (covering Raylor). Smart decision to double up on Duff. I shat myself everytime it was Raylor and Duff anyone one on one.

Lovenkrands was utter bilge, Best was not much better but at least he put himself about a bit. We played so narrow and the pitch was so congested, we were falling over each other. Think Tiote was possibly the worst player on the pitch in the first half, needless freekicks, lunges, horrible control and passing. I think he forgot which way we were playing he passed back so much my head nearly exploded. He was also lucky not to get sent off let alone escape a yellow. Much better in the second half though.

Cabaye definately looked better from 35mins on. He is a firecracker, can see both him and Tiote getting reds this season.

Overall a really scary performance but at least we gritted it out. If we dont get a few decent players in before the window closes we could be in real s***. Hopefully the team starts gelling, but we certainly look like we have gone 6 years backwards to the Souness days.

Jesus it's not that bad like, got a fair few talented players not fit/injured and hopefully a leftback and striker to come in.

Overall a really scary performance but at least we gritted it out. If we dont get a few decent players in before the window closes we could be in real s***. Hopefully the team starts gelling, but we certainly look like we have gone 6 years backwards to the Souness days.

Jesus it's not that bad like, got a fair few talented players not fit/injured and hopefully a leftback and striker to come in.

Sorry, I meant the performance today and against Scunthorpe. Look sapped of all confidence and completely lacking on ideas of how to attack. In comparison to last season when we looked slick coming forward if not slow, we still looked threatening. Certainly our potential and outlook and general state of club is better than under Sourpuss.

Obertan looked pretty dangerous running at the defenders in the box the few times he did. I disagree with who said he lacked self belief, he looks like he's willing to gamble quite a bit when on the ball. Like the anti-routledge

Twas I.

Still stick to my opinion he looks a shadow of the player Manure bought. He is growing in confidence definately but he was beating players for fun before. It will come with time and settling into the club.

I would like to add if you are the guy or know the guy that keeps shouting "you're going the wrong way" whenever we passed the ball back, you/he does not have a clue, so frustrating hearing shite like that  :rant: :rant:

We struggled to keep the ball at the start, so it was good when we started passing it around (regardless of the direction) BUT some knacker moans and groans because a pass is not made towards the goal, ffs. A forward pass is not always possible, keeping the ball is key

There are plenty of clueless ST holders at St James. That's why I check a few comments on here about players performances rather than take someone's word as gospel that such and such player was garbage.

They often are, but all I had to go on. Shame I'm not at work Monday night, were gonna lose now.

Has always done my head in over the years that you get those people in the crowd who would probably moan and groan if it was the current Barcelona team knocking the ball around. :facepalm:

Or in the first 30 sefconds of the game one of our players makes a miss placed pass.

This guy a few years ago, i swear he was gonner have a heart attack, the game had just kicked off.  :harry:

Guest johnson293

Just seen this photo from the telegraph match report...

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/01982/leon_best_1982707c.jpg

Didn't realise Fulham brought so few supporters up.

We were in the Sports Bar section, and couldn't see where they were, but did wonder why the Fulham players were clapping towards the corner, rather then just behind the goal.

Obertan was nowhere near as bad as is being made out btw.

thought he was ok, tracked back well and always looked a threat. what does annoy me about him though is his movement. when someone else is attacking on the same flank as him he always just drops 5 yards behind them and stands there, when he really should be getting past them for the overlap. there's few things as annoying as a player with electric pace who doesnt know how to use it (Martins, Routledge)

Obertan was nowhere near as bad as is being made out btw.

thought he was ok, tracked back well and always looked a threat. what does annoy me about him though is his movement. when someone else is attacking on the same flank as him he always just drops 5 yards behind them and stands there, when he really should be getting past them for the overlap. there's few things as annoying as a player with electric pace who doesnt know how to use it (Martins, Routledge)

:thup:

Thought you were garbage for the first half minus the last couple of minutes, Fulham were good for the first 15 but faded quickly.

Second half, once you got the goal, Fulham never really looked like they were going to come back and the 2nd killed them off. Not sure what team they played on Thursday but they looked tired, and you took advantage, at least in the 2nd half.