Davide Santon (now retired)

Guest taps01

from what I read on an Inter forum, he's definitely more comfortable on the right side of defence or moreso as a right wing back (as Inter play wingbacks). .....he had 2 big injuries (2009 and 2010 season) and the 2nd one really affected his form.

Quote from 2010 - Inter fan

I also think playing his natural side now that Maicon is most likely leaving will be very advantageous to him. Some of his defensive lapses this season were IMO because he was playing on the left, he was caught out because of his movement, I think that will get better when he's on the right

Thanks for that... Was begining to think I was a lone voice on here yesterday... Happy if this is a long term Simpson upgrade but will be slightly concerned if he's the long term left back from what I've seen of him...

What's the point of stressing out about it? We've got him in and are unlikely to get another fullback in during this window. IF he proves to be s*** on the left then we'll have to address it in January, meanwhile we've got Raylor and Ferguson as back up, and Perch I guess.

Not stressing... Just trying to inform/prepare others on here what to expect...  I.E We've bought a right back not a left back... Good luck to the lad though... I'm happy we've got him in...

he can play left back and had played there a lot of time, if you insist , he is actually a wing forward when he started his career , do you know that there are some players who can play a few position and we called them versatile player?

Have you ever seen a Mackem in Milan?, Santon’s response was: “I have never seen them in Milan, no.

:lol:

Best bit is the line after

“Maybe I won't see that for a long time."

Only just signed and saying that the Mackems won't see European football.

Brilliant.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/newcastle-united/nufc-news/2011/08/31/davide-santon-turned-down-europe-for-nufc-72703-29333563/#.Tl4ENjV5l3s.twitter

I would like to know what MA,  Llambias and Pardew are saying to convince the quality players we're signing ( Cabaye, Barfa, Marv and Santon) to come here.

"Nah then bruv gimme two years, you'll get a move to a top four club and a slice of the huge transfer fee. Cushdi?"

:fishing:

I'm more than willing to accept he's our left back for now but long term I'd look to bring someone else in and move him to the right

I genuinely don't know about this, quite possible that he wants to play LB even though he's right footed, no idea.

could be wrong but read somewhere that he was a RW who was moved to LB because the team needed one at the time? As i've said i totally accept his position now is left back, but we could improve our team massively with simpson out and two natural sided attacking full backs who are comfortable on the ball.

Santon's attacking play is too promising to waste on the 'wrong' side imo

Guest bimpy474

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/newcastle-united/nufc-news/2011/08/31/davide-santon-turned-down-europe-for-nufc-72703-29333563/#.Tl4ENjV5l3s.twitter

I would like to know what MA,  Llambias and Pardew are saying to convince the quality players we're signing ( Cabaye, Barfa, Marv and Santon) to come here.

I've been wondering about that as well.

Its because they are rather nice fellows, friendly and informative..... :pow: ohh yeah and very very trustworthy.... :cheesy:

We are becoming one of the best run clubs in the Premiership.  No throwing away ludicrous money at big names and egos.  It chokes me to say this but I believe Ashley has got it right. 

don't worry I'm sure the feeling will pass before 11pm

from what I read on an Inter forum, he's definitely more comfortable on the right side of defence or moreso as a right wing back (as Inter play wingbacks). .....he had 2 big injuries (2009 and 2010 season) and the 2nd one really affected his form.

I also think playing his natural side now that Maicon is most likely leaving will be very advantageous to him. Some of his defensive lapses this season were IMO because he was playing on the left, he was caught out because of his movement, I think that will get better when he's on the right

Thanks for that... Was begining to think I was a lone voice on here yesterday... Happy if this is a long term Simpson upgrade but will be slightly concerned if he's the long term left back from what I've seen of him...

What's the point of stressing out about it? We've got him in and are unlikely to get another fullback in during this window. IF he proves to be s*** on the left then we'll have to address it in January, meanwhile we've got Raylor and Ferguson as back up, and Perch I guess.

Not stressing... Just trying to inform/prepare others on here what to expect...  I.E We've bought a right back not a left back... Good luck to the lad though... I'm happy we've got him in...

He is a left back though. Like saying Jonas is just a right

He is a left back though. Like saying Jonas is just a right winger.

But if he is clearly better at RB than LB and is all right footed I'd say he was a RB... whereas Jonas is more two footed and his preferred side is the left... Proof will be in the pudding... As others have said let's sit back and see...

Guest bimpy474

We are becoming one of the best run clubs in the Premiership.  No throwing away ludicrous money at big names and egos.  It chokes me to say this but I believe Ashley has got it right. 

Best don a tin hat mate.

Guest bimpy474

Best don a tin hat mate.

More like a bunker.

:snod:

Best don a tin hat mate.

More like a bunker.

More like a strait-jacket

Best don a tin hat mate.

More like a bunker.

More like a strait-jacket

More like a commendation for bravery.

I'm more than willing to accept he's our left back for now but long term I'd look to bring someone else in and move him to the right

I genuinely don't know about this, quite possible that he wants to play LB even though he's right footed, no idea.

could be wrong but read somewhere that he was a RW who was moved to LB because the team needed one at the time? As i've said i totally accept his position now is left back, but we could improve our team massively with simpson out and two natural sided attacking full backs who are comfortable on the ball.

Santon's attacking play is too promising to waste on the 'wrong' side imo

When he was younger he used to play RW, then he started later playing RB. When he first was called upon for Inter it was as a left back, and he made that his best position. In the later Mourinho days he was used various placed, def mid, right back and was strugling to make an impact. Source various news articles

After watching youtube clips of him I think he seems like a very much right footed player: Always dribbling with the right foot, trying to hit the ball into the box with his rightfoot, it might be worth trying to play him on the right side but atm I am more than glad that we have a player who can play left back.  And Ryan Taylor should get a lot of credit for the job he has done so far there.