Davide Santon (now retired)

Guest taps01

Saying he isn't as good defensively as Jose isn't really a dig, Jose was amazingly defensively.

The lad is still young, i can definitely see him being as god in that area as jose is. Of course it will take time, but i think Pardew will do a good job of improving him over the next few years, potentially he could be top quality.

I was one of Enrique's biggest fans when he was here but I can't see the point in going on about comparisons. Santon looks a quality player, he's so comfortable and confident in possession that it's excellent to watch. Just a pity he wasn't in the side sooner, but then we don't know how his knee was at that time.

Saying he isn't as good defensively as Jose isn't really a dig, Jose was amazingly defensively.

Yup, Jose was the best left back I've seen at Newcastle from a defensive point of view. I think we've done well to get what looks to be a very decent replacement in Santon all  the same.

I agree, he's not "Enrique - good" defensively, yet. Has only played 2-3 years as a defender, had a few injurys, now playing in a totally different league and still doing pretty well defensively. That's very impressive if you ask me.

Such a intelligent and classy footballer.

Better all-round player than Jose imo, more of a brain. My kind of full back and I like him on the left, he's been very impressive.

I agree, the amount of passes he is intercepted in last few games has been outstanding, the Man Utd vid of him on Youtube says it all really.....

Cracking player and showing why he was so highly rated to begin with.

So pleased this lad is finally coming good... potentially an amazing singing.

Finally after 5-6 starts? Agree looks a great signing for what we paid and his age!

I was one of Enrique's biggest fans when he was here but I can't see the point in going on about comparisons. Santon looks a quality player, he's so comfortable and confident in possession that it's excellent to watch. Just a pity he wasn't in the side sooner, but then we don't know how his knee was at that time.

agree

loved jose, but watching this lad play i'm quickly forgetting about how good he was for us....today, watching him and colo so composed and passing their way out of the corner was class, loved it! Looks so comfortable going forward as well

I love his body language on the pitch like, he seems to hold a Ronaldo-esque arrogance about himself but never seems to complain when things dont go his/our way.

:lol:

reminded me of all the 'jose body language' shite

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRSCvv0n5ZIK-bWOcI7YyANbc6yR2Dd-_GymVOJLYEY7s3ot_G-

He actually seemed to be enjoying himself at times out there today. Good to see, because he seems a rather nervous character.

I'd like to know why he's ended up as a left back though, because he's very right footed. I understand that he originally played further forward, but Mourinho converted him into a full back - perhaps he already had someone decent on the right, and Santon was his best option on the left. For Italy, I think he had some games on the right.

He actually seemed to be enjoying himself at times out there today. Good to see, because he seems a rather nervous character.

I'd like to know why he's ended up as a left back though, because he's very right footed. I understand that he originally played further forward, but Mourinho converted him into a full back - perhaps he already had someone decent on the right, and Santon was his best option on the left. For Italy, I think he had some games on the right.

Which is exactly what happened!