Davide Santon (now retired)

Guest taps01

we looked better as a team, not sure how much of that is down to changes at left back. actually thought santon was our best player in that first half, but there is a clear problem in that when he gets into the final third he cuts inside every single time. it's too predictable, and when you are playing with Jonas who does the exact same thing, it fucks the side's balance (so in that respect raylor offers more width).

been saying it for months now but it's so excruciatingly obvious that he's a right-back, and as with a couple of other things, it'll be a tortuous process as we watch Pardew fail to recognise this. the man's a slow learner.

we looked better as a team, not sure how much of that is down to changes at left back. actually thought santon was our best player in that first half, but there is a clear problem in that when he gets into the final third he cuts inside every single time. it's too predictable, and when you are playing with Jonas who does the exact same thing, it fucks the side's balance (so in that respect raylor offers more width).

been saying it for months now but it's so excruciatingly obvious that he's a right-back, and as with a couple of other things, it'll be a tortuous process as we watch Pardew fail to recognise this. the man's a slow learner.

Taylor is actually pretty confident on his left peg. Total opposite of Santon.

Aye i thought Raylor was sound at left-back, which was pretty typical given he was up against no form of attack whatsoever.

He should still be starting there. With Santon at RB. Fed up of saying it now; it's painfully obvious. We're at Souness/Roeder levels of "just f***ing play/don't play Player X" at the moment.

agrees. but the problem is that it´s not just about picking players. We just doesn´t seems to have a flow in the team regarding passing and creating. In the long run I´m not sure it won´t fix any problems, as much as it was with the managers above. but yes. it should be a good start.

We only looked better when Santon went off because we actually had a threat on our right.

Exactly. Ben Arfa coming on and enabling us to play football was the big difference, and let's face it, not exactly rocket science unless you are Pardew.

Any reason why he was brought off? Was it down to an injury or was it just a tactical substitution?

tactical I think, Santon made a lot of runs but they all amounted to the square root of fuck all in actual threat, Raylor for all his faults is better at making chances and links up fairly well with Jonas

Any reason why he was brought off? Was it down to an injury or was it just a tactical substitution?

tactical I think, Santon made a lot of runs but they all amounted to the square root of fuck all in actual threat, Raylor for all his faults is better at making chances and links up fairly well with Jonas

His runs were pretty much the best we could have managed in the first half, given that everything else was perpetual hoof ball.

We looked more comfortable with Ryan Taylor at left back tbh.

I'd be looking to give Santon a go at right back instead. I don't see Pardew dropping Simpson though.

What when 10 out of the 11 opposition players were camped in their own half, not surprising. I'd be happy with trying Raylor and Santon as fullbacks regardless of which side they are on. Santon and Guti aren't clicking yet, but strangely Raylor was more disjointed there before him yet he clicked much better today.

Raylor will soon get found out though when teams are pressing us. Santon still needs to settle and grow in this league and team. Raylor and Simpson have a bunch more cons than pro's but thats what we are left with.

Can we just end the season now and open the transfer window please!

we looked better as a team, not sure how much of that is down to changes at left back. actually thought santon was our best player in that first half, but there is a clear problem in that when he gets into the final third he cuts inside every single time. it's too predictable, and when you are playing with Jonas who does the exact same thing, it f***s the side's balance (so in that respect raylor offers more width).

Good summary. Hopefully we can bring in a new first choice LB this summer.

The thing is with Santon at left back, you play him there and you zap away the forward runs of Jonas.  Santon pushes up far too often and that leaves jonas to track back and cover him.

With Raylor at left back, Jonas seems far more liberated and more likely to commit to roaming forward  as he knows he doesn't have watch his back all time to spot and cover.

The thing is with Santon at left back, you play him there and you zap away the forward runs of Jonas.  Santon pushes up far too often and that leaves jonas to track back and cover him.

With Raylor at left back, Jonas seems far more liberated and more likely to commit to roaming forward  as he knows he doesn't have watch his back all time to spot and cover.

Some would argue it's the other way around..

Definitely, Jonas was playing as basically a second LB the whole time Raylor was playing. It basically stopped his attacking play completely for months.

Definitely, Jonas was playing as basically a second LB the whole time Raylor was playing. It basically stopped his attacking play completely for months.

He's incredibly soft for a 6"2 defender.

No doubting he's been a bit shaky defensively, hopefully he'll have adapted come the beginning of next season.

I bet he'll put on a little muscle as hes very skinny. Just hope he's not workout with the body builder known as Shola. But I remember C Ronaldo coming to the PL and looking very soft, but over time he bulked up but was able to use the strength to his advantage as it did not take away from his game or pace.

haha if Jonas is playing second left back with Raylor who hardly pushes up.  Then Jonas is first leftback with Santon playing mostly in front of him.

I said for too long, lets give Santon a chance on the wings, if Pardew likes a winger who can attack and defend, I don't see any better candidate out of Obertan, HBA, Raylor than Santon himself.

Would any right footed defender feel comfortable enough at left back to consider thats where his career lies? (And Vice versa I suppose)

Does Santon himself see himself as a left back or is he just 'playing for the team'? Opposition will already have worked out that offensively no crosses will be delivered from his left foot and so he'll majority of time cut back onto his right. 

Would any right footed defender feel comfortable enough at left back to consider thats where his career lies? (And Vice versa I suppose)

Does Santon himself see himself as a left back or is he just 'playing for the team'? Opposition will already have worked out that offensively no crosses will be delivered from his left foot and so he'll majority of time cut back onto his right.

I don't think there is a definitive answer until he comes out and tells us. I'd rather have him at RB and buy a new LB this summer, while getting in Clyne to put pressure on him and sell Simpson. Lot of changing around, can't see it myself.

In reply to crumpy (on my phone so can't quote). Many players play on their supposed wrong side, lahm, maldini are just the more famous examples in that very position. As for what position he sees as his, I'd hope he doesn't see it that way, any player with decent technique is likely to move positions throughout their career. Your bit about crosses, you could have a point, however it allows him to come inside for a shot, with confidence to crack it he could have scored 4 or 5 this season as his ability to come inside created very good opportunities for himself that he didn't take.

Eventually I'd love to see him at right back with a quality left back signed. He would be more effective attacking on the right side and an overlapping full back on the left side would give miles more balance to the team. Would work better with Jonas too.

Santon has mentioned that he feels comfortable enough on either side. Having said that, it could very well be the case that he's actually more comfortable in one position than the other. We won't know for sure until he gets a run of games at RB really.

I have no problems with him starting at LB in the meantime (or even for the medium/long-term).