Davide Santon (now retired)

Guest taps01

Simpson is better though.

On Fifa 13  :troll:

:lol:

santon is one of the best full backs on 12, absolute beast

I though he was marvellous today, such a class act. Excited to see him develop here.

aye, gona be honoured when he moves to a bigger club, like liverpool

Very assured. If he improves on his attacking game he'll be great. Think that'll come if he ever gets the move over to right back.

Whenever he played on the right for Inter he just did exactly the same thing cutting inside and laying it off, he's always looked far more of a threat and comfortable on the left to me.

Very assured. If he improves on his attacking game he'll be great. Think that'll come if he ever gets the move over to right back.

Whenever he played on the right for Inter he just did exactly the same thing cutting inside and laying it off, he's always looked far more of a threat and comfortable on the left to me.

Same, the only real massive hole in Santon's game for me is the end product the rest of his game is flourishing and delighted with his improvement each and every week.

He's also cut inside when playing on the right for us.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/sep/25/newcastle-united-manchester-league-cup

Manchester United's manager may cast covetous eyes at Pardew's overlapping, right-footed left-back Davide Santon. The 21-year-old former Internazionale defender is now displaying the sort of form that, as a teenager, had José Mourinho, his old manager at the San Siro describing him as "a phenomenon".

"Santon has been a revelation," said Pardew. "I think he's better than he was at Inter. He was a boy then and he was a boy last year too. He is a man now and is starting to play like a man. His raids from left-back are becoming potent.

"I think left-back is Davide's best position because he can go both ways. He's very comfortable going on the outside as well as cutting inside. He still has lots to learn but he's certainly making some inroads towards becoming a top Italian full-back. He's a young player who is starting to become very effective for us. I am really pleased with him."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/sep/25/newcastle-united-manchester-league-cup

Manchester United's manager may cast covetous eyes at Pardew's overlapping, right-footed left-back Davide Santon. The 21-year-old former Internazionale defender is now displaying the sort of form that, as a teenager, had José Mourinho, his old manager at the San Siro describing him as "a phenomenon".

"Santon has been a revelation," said Pardew. "I think he's better than he was at Inter. He was a boy then and he was a boy last year too. He is a man now and is starting to play like a man. His raids from left-back are becoming potent.

"I think left-back is Davide's best position because he can go both ways. He's very comfortable going on the outside as well as cutting inside. He still has lots to learn but he's certainly making some inroads towards becoming a top Italian full-back. He's a young player who is starting to become very effective for us. I am really pleased with him."

Good to hear Pardew praising him. He's on the verge of being very potent, not just there yet. Need to start converting his raids in to crosses and shots. Very hard to handle.

Good to hear Pardew praising him. He's on the verge of being very potent, not just there yet. Need to start converting his raids in to crosses and shots. Very hard to handle.

That'll come with time. He gets into positions, but he just holds onto the ball a little bit too long.

As others have said, it's only really his decision making in the final third that lets him down.  He can get it in on his left, he just usually chooses not to and when he does cut inside, he seems afraid to shoot and usually ends up killing the momentum of the attack.

Also, his positioning is occasionally questionable, but he has the pace to make up for that.

Really like the lad though, improved massively and I rated him last season, so he's one of my favourites.

Not sure on the right/left debate, as he looked shakey and less comfortable when he played a couple of times on the right during pre season.  But then it's hard to judge players in friendlies and he'd improve a hell of a lot if he played there regularly.

Think he looks fine on the left flank.

I remember the first Cisse goal against chelsea at stanford bridge was exactly from Santon bombing on, passing a horizontal pass to cisse. He holds on to the ball too long, and he needs to improve here but it's no great problem, he's obviously very talented, his forward runs give us more options on the ball on that side of the pitch, he makes an interesting partnership with Jonas. I think he's been a tad unlucky not to get a goal in any of his games, or to get more assists, and even without them I think he's good for posession play. he's improving and will improve a lot more as young as he is.

Some people desperate to switch flank for him, which I don't disagree may make sense, do seem to imply he's hopeless on the left, which seems silly to me.

His end product is all down to confidence and experience for me, you can see he's a defender when he gets near the penalty area as he seems unsure of himself which will all come with experience and learning the game.

It will all come, the rest of his improvement in the game i'm personally delighted with. Definitely one of our best players so far along with Ba and Ben Arfa.

Some people desperate to switch flank for him, which I don't disagree may make sense, do seem to imply he's hopeless on the left, which seems silly to me.

Don't think that's the case (or at least it certainly isn't with me). Just don't see why you wouldn't want to get most bang for your buck.

Don't think that's the case (or at least it certainly isn't with me). Just don't see why you wouldn't want to get most bang for your buck.

It's to do with team balance, something we sorely lack.

As previously mentioned, when he gets a yard of space on a defender, it must be very frustrating for all parties concerned (Santon, the waiting Dembas and the passer of the ball) that he will (more often than not) have to surrender his advantage to cut back inside - which is actually against one of Pardew's few discernible footballing philosophies of playing the ball early to the front men.

Guest firetotheworks

I think Santon needs to actually take a shot before they start going in. He should shoot more. You know what he's going to do, but he's very good at it. He has this swashbuckling style of running at people that I really like as well.

As previously mentioned, when he gets a yard of space on a defender, it must be very frustrating for all parties concerned (Santon, the waiting Dembas and the passer of the ball) that he will (more often than not) have to surrender his advantage to cut back inside - which is actually against one of Pardew's few discernible footballing philosophies of playing the ball early to the front men.

I've said this before but even in the warm ups where they do a set midfielders pass the ball out to him and HBA (no Jonas) to cross for Cisse and Ba he rarely uses his left and that's under no pressure.

Agree, him and hba have been our best players. Be great when Krul & colo are fit again, while seeing Tiote & Cabaye strike up their partnership and get back on form and of course Cisse starts to find the back of the net.