Davide Santon (now retired)

Guest taps01

Guest bluegeordie

Based on Pardew's comments to Sky he did pick up a knock.

Yes, but fortunately it didn't sound too serious.

In the interview I saw (in Australia), if I recall correctly Pardew only said that we'd need to "take care with him", and towards the end of the interview he added that we'd come through the match "pretty much unscathed".

Hopefully, if it does prove to be an actual injury, then he'll only miss one match. It's early days, of course, and Paulo Maldini's standing is probably safe for the time being :shifty:, but I thought that on today's showing we definitely have something to work with where Santon is concerned.     

When I think of Santon the only games I think of him starting in are:

5-3 v.s Swansea ressies

3-4 v.s Blackburn (CC)

0-4 v.s Everton ressies

2-4 v.s Norwich

:lol:

Looked good today though tbh, really hope he stays in the starting line up from now on. As has been said though, would love to see him moved to RB and for us to sign a proper LB in January.

The lad played decent enough for his first PL start imo. Looked composed on the ball when he was bringing the ball out of defence. Some good forward runs too.

Simply has to start games from now on, hope his knock isn't too serious.

Promising stuff for me.

Did well, his positioning is good and he looked comfortable at left back, knew when to overlap and support Jonas as well as making himself available regularly. Difficult game to come in to, but looked promising. Certainly good enough to oust Raylor and keep his place for Swansea if fit.

Probably the biggest plus point of today, after Ba.

He should start against Swansea, it's Ryan Taylor who should lose his place in the team as he looked vulnerable again without Jonas wiping his arse.

Based on Pardew's comments to Sky he did pick up a knock.

Yes, but fortunately it didn't sound too serious.

In the interview I saw (in Australia), if I recall correctly Pardew only said that we'd need to "take care with him", and towards the end of the interview he added that we'd come through the match "pretty much unscathed".

Hopefully, if it does prove to be an actual injury, then he'll only miss one match. It's early days, of course, and Paulo Maldini's standing is probably safe for the time being :shifty:, but I thought that on today's showing we definitely have something to work with where Santon is concerned.     

TBH, that could mean that Santon is out for "only" 4 weeks, while one other unlucky bastard only will be out for 2 weeks (TBA).

5-3 v.s Swansea ressies

3-4 v.s Blackburn (CC)

0-4 v.s Everton ressies

2-4 v.s Norwich

That's down to playing weaker squads in general in those (first team) matches. Perch at centre back is a main stay.

And Dr. Venkman -"Santon is never a left back". Personally wouldn't put it like that, but in any case, he's a hell of a lot better than Raylor.

He has the physical attributes to play at CB. Think he would have done a better job than Simpson or Perch.

He's a young lad in a new country, playing in an unfamiliar league against two big lumps up front and a game plan of hitting the centre backs.

Yeah - way to ruin his confidence.

Have a word.

He has the physical attributes to play at CB. Think he would have done a better job than Simpson or Perch.

He's a young lad in a new country, playing in an unfamiliar league against two big lumps up front and a game plan of hitting the centre backs.

Have a word.

Are you not worried about Perch and Simpson's confidence?  :sad:

Have a word.

Are you not worried about Perch and Simpson's confidence?  :sad:

Simpson has way more experience than Santon and I couldn't give a fuck if playing centre back ruins Perch's mental wellbeing for life.

Difficult times, difficult measures - if take protecting santon out of the equation, he's a better equipped cb than Raylor & Simpson and that's what matters to me.

It's not an ideal start to life, but fuk it, he's got nothing to lose, nothing to prove either, he's doing a job for his new team to the best of his abilities, and in the end of the day, it's game time which previously he's struggled to get. There was talk about him feeling a few muscles as well, he'll do a hell of a lot less running as a cb than LB trying to impress by getting forward.

Simpson at cb is the very last option for me, I'd throw in Streete before I went for that option.

5-3 v.s Swansea ressies

3-4 v.s Blackburn (CC)

0-4 v.s Everton ressies

2-4 v.s Norwich

That's down to playing weaker squads in general in those (first team) matches. Perch at centre back is a main stay.

And Dr. Venkman -"Santon is never a left back". Personally wouldn't put it like that, but in any case, he's a hell of a lot better than Raylor.

I agree, I think he'll be effective at left back but  better suited to right back.