Davide Santon (now retired)

Guest taps01

In terms of defensive ability, I think there's not that much difference to Simpson. In the attacking aspect, he's miles ahead though. He's also got the pace advantage, he prefers to pass it than hoof it, and he has the "young, exciting, foreign prospect" tag. He's getting better the more he plays, while Simpson looks like the finished product. Thus, we get the view that he's better and more liked than Simpson.

Guest BooBoo

IMHO Santon is a very average defender who sometimes looks good going forward - for me we need new right and left backs.

Pretty much. He's getting better though.

I´m disappointed with his start of the season. He hasn´t been good at all. Neither offensively or defensively. I´m not doubting his capacity. But he hasn´t started well (like many others)

And what is this myth that he must have Jonas in front of him? If he played at the right with HBA in front of him. On of our midfielders could fill in, or one of the center backs with a midfielder to drop back. It could be solved.

Think most players have disappointed with their starts to the season. Santon gives me no reason for concern ahead of anyone else. I think he's been a marked improvement since he joined, but I just feel this season we're still waiting for everyone to get back on it.

Played three games with a team very much below par with no real lasting damage done.

I think Santon is good enough for our ambitions this season.

Guest Haris Vuckic

He's still learning, Torres went past him a bit too easily in the build up to the penalty imo.

It's hard to get the balance right with Torres, you've got to back off or he'll go down under the slightest touch.,

He's not been that bad defensively, personally in both games he's looked decent i haven't seen the wide players in question really get the better of him.

He's improving, he will come good.

Personally i thought the whole back 4 played well yesterday, how much did Chelsea really create? Torres wondergoal and penalty aside?

The problem yesterday for me was creating chances for them to worry about but defensively we played well.

I wish people would stop judging players from a game against probable title challengers on their own turf. Santon's fine, he can be brilliant, we would be better off playing 2 Danny Simpson's in a game like last night's though as we had 3 very technically gifted forwards doing what they wanted in our final 3rd, no attacking fullback is going to shine in a game like that.

I wish people would stop judging players from a game against probable title challengers on their own turf. Santon's fine, he can be brilliant, we would be better off playing 2 Danny Simpson's in a game like last night's though as we had 3 very technically gifted forwards doing what they wanted in our final 3rd, no attacking fullback is going to shine in a game like that.

No, it has been decided by the toys out the pram brigade.

he had a cracking game today but think in the 2nd half him and Anita should have switched,  they were both bombing forward and were constant outlets for the team but once the got to the final 3rd both were letting themselves down as the delivery of both with their wrong foot was poor.

he had a cracking game today but think in the 2nd half him and Anita should have switched,  they were both bombing forward and were constant outlets for the team but once the got to the final 3rd both were letting themselves down as the delivery of both with their wrong foot was poor.

Anita's right-footed isn't he?

Anita is right footed too but I agree. Apparently he has filled in at left back more than at the right, so Pardew should at least try it out at some time. Anyway, Santon had a great game and Anita looked very promising. From this limited showing, I feel he'd add more to the team from RB. Jonas can have the 3rd midfield place..