Davide Santon (now retired)

Guest taps01

Guest bimpy474

Why was he substituted today? Would have been perfect in the role Raylor( :idiot2:) got.

Aye was rather baffling.

Why was he substituted today? Would have been perfect in the role Raylor( :idiot2:) got.

Raylor is better at hoofing.

Backroom staff anticipating set pieces? :dontknow:

Our set pieces have been utterly woeful all season with or without Raylor.

Don't disagree, just could have been there line of thinking given Raylor is probably our best set piece taker.

For sure, but there's an immense lack of creativity in our set pieces. Hoofing it to Williamson every single time. Either that or, like today, playing it short and falling over. Infuriating stuff.

Don't disagree, just could have been there line of thinking given Raylor is probably our best set piece taker.

For sure, but there's an immense lack of creativity in our set pieces. Hoofing it to Williamson every single time. Either that or, like today, playing it short and falling over. Infuriating stuff.

Definitely one of the things we need to work on this summer. The only time the Williamson tactic has ever "worked" was the Chelsea game when Ben Arfa delivered it in (though that was a night when things went right!).

Definitely one of the things we need to work on this summer. The only time the Williamson tactic has ever "worked" was the Chelsea game when Ben Arfa delivered it in (though that was a night when things went right!).

Was good to hear Pardew acknowledge this on the phone in and confirm we are going to do something to change it.

Was good to hear Pardew acknowledge this on the phone in and confirm we are going to do something to change it.

Oh? I didn't realise, yep, good to hear :thup:

Davide Santon set for right-back move next season

Davide Santon in action for Newcastle

NEWCASTLE United are set to move Davide Santon to right-back next season as they look for improvements from their £5million Italian international.

The Journal understands Santon’s role next season has been the subject of high-level talks among the club’s key powerbrokers – with manager Alan Pardew open to the idea of moving him from the left-back slot he has occupied this season.

The United boss would also like to add a right-back this summer – Mathieu Debuchy of Lille and Burnley’s Kieran Trippier are two in the frame – but Santon is the contingency plan if they cannot strike a deal at the right price.

With Danny Simpson set to depart if he doesn’t sign his new contract, United are looking at how to reshuffle their back four on a budget.

And Santon moving to right-back on a permanent basis would free up cash for Newcastle to sign long-term target, Holland international Erik Pieters, who can play at both left-back and centre-back. It is understood that versatility has been added to the United transfer brief for this summer.

Santon has improved immeasurably since joining United but at a club where no money is spent lightly, they will expect further improvements from him next year. Of all of the summer additions, his bedding-in period was the longest but by the end of the season there were signs that he was beginning to get to grips with the Premier League.

Undoubtedly strong going forward, he remains a work-in-progress defensively despite some strong displays during United’s spring surge towards Europe. Moving sides would also see him reprising the role that he sometimes fills in

for his country – and Santon admits he would be open to it.

“If the manager asked me to play either I’d be happy to because I can play both positions,” he told The Journal.

“Playing at right-back is something I’d be open to. As to my preference, it just depends on the game. I just like to get forward, so whichever position allows me to get forward more I prefer.”

Pardew is still waiting to hear the exact size of the budget available to him but knows that little significant business will be carried out before the European Championhips. The club are letting the dust settle on the campaign before making moves but he will be back at United’s training base in Benton next week to tie up a few loose ends.

One player who certainly won’t be joining the summer exodus is James Perch, who improved substantially over the course of the season and has the added bonus of adaptability.

He looked back on an excellent campaign and admitted United’s finish was beyond his wildest dreams. “If you’d offered us fifth at the start of the season we’d have snapped your hand off,” he told Newcastle’s official website. “To give ourselves a chance of getting fourth going into the last game was a massive achievement.”

Meanwhile, reports in South Africa have claimed United are in advanced negotiations to play in the Vodacom Challenge in Johannesburg as part of their pre-season plans. The Journal understands that talks have taken place but nothing has been finalised with the Kaizer Chiefs and Orlando Pirates – the two South African sides who host the tournament. A short European trip is also on the agenda for United, who expect to announce their full pre-season programme some time next week.

Read More http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2012/05/18/davide-santon-set-for-right-back-move-next-season-61634-30994290/#ixzz1vCwg19fM

He says we're still trying to sign a right back but we're also panning to move Santon over?

As a contingency if we can't sign a dedicated RB. Basically they think we're trying to sign a fullback but they haven't a clue who will arrive.

Personally I'd be slightly concerned if we signed Pieters now, after all his injury problems.

Aye, Pieters sounds very injury prone. And tbh not THAT good. (Not that i have seen him a lot)

Hope he is not our main target, but Ashley loves a good gamble.

To me he looked solid enough, not that I've seen him much. But we would need another fullback if he's going to miss a lot of games.

Still, in Carr we trust.

Aye, Pieters sounds very injury prone. And tbh not THAT good. (Not that i have seen him a lot)

Hope he is not our main target, but Ashley loves a good gamble.

To me he looked solid enough, not that I've seen him much. But we would need another fullback if he's going to miss a lot of games.

Still, in Carr we trust.

Indeed, i trust Carr to have better judgment than me on players  :lol:

Still have a little hope of Debuchy, Yo`s mate you know :aww: