Realistic Transfer Targets

MyPalAl

In the same vein as the Odemwingie non-rumours, it looks like Hangeland's contract is up this summer. Cheap, short-term CB? I'd like to think we'd not be too strict on age but who am I kidding?

:thup:

Was going to post similar earlier on when the Vegard Forren links got mentioned in the other thread.

Think Hangeland would be just what we need, but he's 7 months older than Coloccini so it would be extremely unlikely. Would provide more leadership to the team overall, his physical attributes are obvious and he'd come with the benefit of being able to slot straight in. Less of a gamble in that respect.

Would he leave Fulham to come here anyway though?

Would hate to lose Graham, we are looking at bringing in another striker, if Graham left we would need 2 in my opinion. Our other forwards Moore, Shechter and Lita have not pulled up trees when they have started.

I note the uneducated press are stating that Graham's unhappy playing second fiddle to Michu, total nonsense of course, being that Michu's a midfielder, who only played the striker role when Graham was ill. Shechter's on loan, we're hoping we don't buy him.

If Graham did come to Newcastle, he will score goals for you thats for sure, playing as part of a 4-4-2 line-up would possibly see him score more as well, apart from scoring he works his socks off for the team when he doesn;t have the ball, drags defenders all over the place.

Why does he want to leave then?

Understand that perspective, but I don't think Hangeland is slower than Williamson and doubt there's much between him and Taylor either. Just think he'd be a canny upgrade on both if we were stuck for getting in someone else (who may cost a fair bit more).

Would be very interested to know who we're actually targeting in this area (naturally!)

Understand that perspective, but I don't think Hangeland is slower than Williamson and doubt there's much between him and Taylor either. Just think he'd be a canny upgrade on both if we were stuck for getting in someone else (who may cost a fair bit more).

Would be very interested to know who we're actually targeting in this area (naturally!)

The only thing I've read is that we have an offer for that Valenciennes defender who's supposed to be the next, next Desailly or something.

Someone who represents good value (aka plays for a financially stricken club or is having contractual issues) and plays in France, Holland or at a stretch a smaller club in Germany I'd imagine.

Would be happy with Hangeland & Graham coming in. It would suite Pardew's style that's for sure, but think DG could bring to life Cisse if we insisted on 442, he'd be quite happy to do the donkey work while seeing Hangeland at the end of our set pieces instead of Willo would be a huge goal threat nevermind the massive improvement defensively (inc defensive SP)

The only thing I've read is that we have an offer for that Valenciennes defender who's supposed to be the next, next Desailly or something.

Wasn't the last one Boumsong?  :jones:

Would hate to lose Graham, we are looking at bringing in another striker, if Graham left we would need 2 in my opinion. Our other forwards Moore, Shechter and Lita have not pulled up trees when they have started.

I note the uneducated press are stating that Graham's unhappy playing second fiddle to Michu, total nonsense of course, being that Michu's a midfielder, who only played the striker role when Graham was ill. Shechter's on loan, we're hoping we don't buy him.

If Graham did come to Newcastle, he will score goals for you thats for sure, playing as part of a 4-4-2 line-up would possibly see him score more as well, apart from scoring he works his socks off for the team when he doesn;t have the ball, drags defenders all over the place.

Why does he want to leave then?

Not sure he does, recent quotes stated he wanted to fight for his place. He started as first choice, then Shechter started to get picked. Michu was then moved into the forwards position for a few games, Graham had some mystery bug that kept him out for weeks, since his return, he's been behind Shecter, Moore and Michu.

Only the last few games has he started again (and scored in both).

Someone who represents good value (aka plays for a financially stricken club or is having contractual issues) and plays in France, Holland or at a stretch a smaller club in Germany I'd imagine.

I was thinking more specific like :lol:

Douglas sticks out like a sore thumb when taking that criteria into account though.

I was thinking more specific like :lol:

Douglas sticks out like a sore thumb when taking that criteria into account though.

I'd be amazed if it was anyone out of the blue tbh unless a kid.

Unbelievable, what do you make of Stefan de Vrij by the way? One of the few others who I could see us making an attempt for at reasonable money.

Funny that, I was just thinking about him as a possible name to mention. From what I've seen he's definitely talented, but I don't think he's ready for the Premiership just yet. Needs to fill out a bit imho.

Unbelievable, what do you make of Stefan de Vrij by the way? One of the few others who I could see us making an attempt for at reasonable money.

Funny that, I was just thinking about him as a possible name to mention. From what I've seen he's definitely talented, but I don't think he's ready for the Premiership just yet. Needs to fill out a bit imho.

Cheers marra. 18 months left on his deal, so he's another one in our sort of ballpark.

So assuming we get Debuchy and Remy who do we go for after that?

I don't think we would need another midfielder unless we sold Tiote which isn't going to happen in January, we are short in the CB position but does Pardew see that?, would we even have enough money left?

From Pardew's comments it doesn't sound like we are getting more than those. Don't believe for one second he can't see we need a centre back though. Seems like he has to really fight for anything though.

It's got to be encouraging that we actively went out and got a top RB. If we don't want to get buy with Simpson then there's reason to hope we'll decide not to put up with Williamson either.

My worry is now Taylor is coming back he considers it "enough"