Aston Villa 1 - 1 Newcastle United - 17/09/11 - post-match reaction from page 42

Rich

Europe is a serious goal this season. Villa are a team that most would consider ahead of us, but we took the game to them away from home and showed more quality throughout the match. Are we scared of Villa, Everton, Stoke, and the rest of these rubbish teams? It has been said, but Marveaux must start opposite Jonas. It is bizarre to see this team with a variety of options through the centre and out wide.

Ba and Tiote improving and a fine overall performance, with Cabaye MOM. Another goal for Besty too.  These all bode well for the coming weeks. My main concern was the lack of overlapping on the left with RTaylor seemingly only capable of inswingers from deep. With better delivery from that side, we would have had much more chance of a winner.

I was surprised how poor Villa were though. I've seen their individual players do much better than that in the past.

Guest guinness_fiend

Did Jonas even try to cross it today? I can't remember one off hand.

A couple of times and he hit the first man, as always.  He had a good game but he needs a bit more composure on the ball when heading towards the 18 yard box.

Jonas cannot cross the ball to save his life.  Christ.  How difficult is it?!

Quite, when he's had to play LB and LW all game long.

Guffaw.  He has *never* been able to cross the ball.  It's just not a part of his game.

No it isn't, but he occasionally knocks in a good cross and we've scored from a few of those too. Its just a lot harder to look good in the attacking sense when he has to spend so much effort on defensive work.

Krul 7 - Looks better and better for every game, you can see his confident is growing.

Simpson 7 - Kept Zoggy silent for most of the game, doesnt get much help defensively from Obertan and is strugling getting forward because of this

S.Taylor 7 - Was good for most of the game, but he had some Bramble moments and was lucky Bent didnt score.

Colo 7 - Think he was very shaky in the first half, it was his fault the goal.

R.Taylor 5 - Its to big gap between Raylor and Jonas, we were lucky Villa hadnt watch our game against QPR and tried more against R.Taylor

Obertan 6 - Need to do something about his confidence, it looks like he is going to cry everytime the camera is on him. Has the skill go become a star.

Tiote 7 - Best game this season of him. Needs to stop dribbling infront of our back 4, and stop giving away the ball stupidly.

Cabaye 9 - Very good game of him, looks like we really got a bargain here. Looking forward when he is getting his goal.

Jonas 6 - Working very hard defensive, is strugling because he has no confident and understanding of R.Taylor.

Ba 7 - Worked hard, hope he will start scoring soon.

Best 7 - Gave him a 7 because of the goal, think i would have landed on 5.5-6 if he hadnt got the goal.

Marvaux 7 - Should have been subbed with Best instead of Shola Ameobi. Looks like a clever player and really looking forward to see him play from start soon

Shola 5 - Why botter playing him against other teams than Sunderland?

Sammy - N/A

What did he say?

That the game was even, they had as much possession and efforts chances as us (despite the stats suggesting otherwise on all counts) and that just as much if not more of the game was played in our half as theirs. Just plain wrong. :lol: