Mike Ashley

Christmas Tree

I don't get Ashley sometimes, how did he become successful by giving jobs to people with absolutely no experience or qualifications for them?

Must have forgotten that hiring the right people = more success = more money. But the business he made his bread from seems to be idiot proof cheap shit that people gobble up.

I don't get Ashley sometimes, how did he become successful by giving jobs to people with absolutely no experience or qualifications for them?

Because those people don't make decisions, they just report back to Mike who makes all the calls.

Because those people don't make decisions, they just report back to Mike who makes all the calls.

Yep, seems the only possible answer. Problem is that in the football business, he doesn't know what he's doing.

Guest chopey

I don't really understand Ashley's philoshophy on football at all, he owns a huge club that has virtually no expectations other than to play good football and stay in the league, and he still buy's cheap foreign imports to play for a while and then sell at a "modest" profit. Surely he should be investing in the youth like Everton and selling the youngins he's not paid a penny for, just like Newcastle has done for generations.

If he's football to make money he could be a lot more savey and make a lot more, if he's in it for enjoyment and the kicks, that went tits up 6 years ago.

I still think if he wasn't so vindictive he could have the best of both worlds.

I think he is lost.  To be fair I genuinely believe he changed his approach a bit last summer because he sanctioned those expensive deals.  Mitrovic Wijnaldum Mbemba are in fact good signings.  However the fact is we are having worse results comparing with last season, despite money spent.  Of course we are able to explain why e.g. shit managers and shit defenders midfielders etc but he may not realize this as he is too “highlevel” and those who directly report to him are morons without any football knowledge.  It is Mcclarens responsibility to voice this out but obviously he failed, partly due to extremely poor results which damage his credibility, if any.

In short, he cant understand why the result is worse when more money is spent and a manager with proven quality was brought in.  It is logical, in his perspective, to think that the problem lies somewhere else rather than not enough money invested, which in reality its both.

I think he is lost.  To be fair I genuinely believe he changed his approach a bit last summer because he sanctioned those expensive deals.  Mitrovic Wijnaldum Mbemba are in fact good signings.  However the fact is we are having worse results comparing with last season, despite money spent.  Of course we are able to explain why e.g. s*** managers and s*** defenders midfielders etc but he may not realize this as he is too “highlevel” and those who directly report to him are morons without any football knowledge.  It is Mcclarens responsibility to voice this out but obviously he failed, partly due to extremely poor results which damage his credibility, if any.

In short, he cant understand why the result is worse when more money is spent and a manager with proven quality was brought in.  It is logical, in his perspective, to think that the problem lies somewhere else rather than not enough money invested, which in reality its both.

A slightly better record than Pardew.  But I wouldn't really say McClaren is 'proven quality'. 

I think he is lost.  To be fair I genuinely believe he changed his approach a bit last summer because he sanctioned those expensive deals.  Mitrovic Wijnaldum Mbemba are in fact good signings.  However the fact is we are having worse results comparing with last season, despite money spent.  Of course we are able to explain why e.g. s*** managers and s*** defenders midfielders etc but he may not realize this as he is too “highlevel” and those who directly report to him are morons without any football knowledge.  It is Mcclarens responsibility to voice this out but obviously he failed, partly due to extremely poor results which damage his credibility, if any.

A slightly better record than Pardew.  But I wouldn't really say McClaren is 'proven quality'.

You have to think in his perspective that Mcclaren is a former national team manager which sounds more “classy”.  It is fucking stupid i know but that's true, just like some would prefer hire a former Oxford graduates than an ordinary secondary school grad, without paying much attention to their most recent job details and performance. 

And to make situation worse, there is an idiot who recommend this manager because he is too incompetent to find someone else despite publicly claimed that more than 100 managers are interested.

I think he knows more than is let on to be honest. It's just he is happy to cut cost as much as possible to survive. That's how he does business, always has, always will. How many luxury products does Ashley produce?

He's abit of a gambler but to get to where he is you need mostly luck more than anything else. Wouldn't surprise if most the logic behind his decisions is that he is a genius business man compared to not knowing much about football. He will run a club cheaply and succeed as he is a genius, is probably what's in his head. How dare the fans question him.

You only need to see his interaction with Rangers board members or any media articles that challenge him to see his train of thought.

You have to think in his perspective that Mcclaren is a former national team manager which sounds more “classy”.  It is f***ing stupid i know but that's true, just like some would prefer hire a former Oxford graduates than an ordinary secondary school grad, without paying much attention to their most recent job details and performance. 

And to make situation worse, there is an idiot who recommend this manager because he is too incompetent to find someone else despite publicly claimed that more than 100 managers are interested.

Fair enough mate.  I thought you were personally suggesting that McClaren was a decent enough manager.

I think there's far too much analysis going on directly above. Ashley knows what he is doing: the absolute bare minimum spend to finish 17th or above and, as a consequence, the amount of money he can misappropriate from the club. That's the beginning and end of it.

The only true thing Pardew ever said was Mike Ashley doesn't understand football, and the c*** fined him wages for it :lol:

Don't remember this?  Was it after the headbutt.  As he got fined for that as well, if memory serves?

I think there's far too much analysis going on directly above. Ashley knows what he is doing: the absolute bare minimum spend to finish 17th or above and, as a consequence, the amount of money he can misappropriate from the club. That's the beginning and end of it.

Except he doesn't know what to do with the minimum spend so we don't go down. And aiming for 17th means you'll finish even lower.

I don't know if Ashey coasts in business. Yes, he provides shite products at rock-bottom prices, but there's a massive market for that. In his dealings with competitors, suppliers and staff he seems to demand a lot and be quite ruthless.

He's an absolute control freak.

Not really true because if he did know anything he'd know that appointing a top quality manager would remove the unnecessary risk of relegation we've been skirting for the last few years.

Good manager would cost a couple of million a season, you could leave Carr in charge of players but just ensure if the manager says he needs a dominant CB he gets one within the given budget.

If he understood this he, and we probably, would be laughing.