Mike Ashley

Christmas Tree

Did anyone seriously expect a business man with absolutely no previous connection to the club to just buy us for the shits and giggles? Of course he wanted to make money. Still doesn't mean he was going to come in and start unscrewing the stadium piece by piece to see what he could get for it.

Arguably every player we have sold we have replaced with better bar Enrique and Given but long term the jury is still out on those two and Santon/Krul are looking a decent bet to live up to the shoes they are filling.

The board have made mistakes but we do seem to be progressing and as I said on toontastic, how far would you go back before you replaced this squad with a previous one? My guessing is well into the Shepherd/Hall era :dontknow:

It's taken a while, we have all had some shit times but we were hardly on the up when the new lot came in were we?

:thup:

As owners go he certainly isn't bad, infact i'm sure your Everton's & Leeds' ect think we're blessed. It's just the lies, and the fact he runs the club as a buisness first lead to him doing some pretty ruthless and unnecessary things. Changing the 120 year old stadium name was fucking ridiculous, regardless of the extra revenue it may make for Sports Direct, and until he starts to show a bit more sympathy there'll always be hatred.

There's also the fact that he 'could' do a lot more to really have us challenging if he would actually pump some money in to build us an actual squad, and not just a team of about 14-15 good players. But yeah, as i've already said, we're hardly the only club who have this problem, infact bar 5-6 sides in the country we're probably all in the same boat (Mike actually has the cash to do something about it though).

Guest magpie99

I have supported this club for over 50 years and in that time, I have seen some desperate situations and subsequently, some shocking abuse from the fans, some warranted and some not so warranted.

Whilst the initial mistakes made by Ashley culminating in relegation were borne from a clear set of circumstances where his ignorance of how a club should be run have resulted in a gigantic change of heart and a huge turnaround in the fortunes of the club to the present day. I dont think he is entitled to a vote of thanks but I do believe the constant personal abuse from many quarters should stop. It is clear to me that Newcastle United Football Club s being run in a very good business like manner.

If people on here, especially the older ones, hark back to the old days of Westwood, McKeag etc, they will understand that what has happened since Ashley took over is not an isolated incident to this club.

I remember the days in the 70s when we sold Pop Robson and Alan Suddick, our two best players at the time to West Ham and Blackpool. I remember the 80s when Beardsley, Waddle and Gascoigne were all sold to pay off debts and the 90s before the KK revival when all Ardiles could field was a team of kids and we were dive bombing out of existence.

I was one of the few on here, although upset with relegation at the time 3 years years ago, but quickly came to terms with it as a blessing in disguise. We had a squad of gutless, spineless, moneygrabbing under achievers on large contracts and the loss of these was a necessity just as immediate promotion was.

The Ashley business plan of buying young, cheap hungry players in starting to reap rewards. I remember KK cancelling the reserves and youth teams because he didnt want them playing at SJP. The total opposite is in place now and we are begiinning to see the fruits of our academy coming through. Ashley has poured millions into the academy development and with the lokes of Ab eid, Krul, Carroll, Ferguson, Ameobi, Tavernier, Forster and others coming through the ranks, we will be in a much better situation in the future. With the Fair Play rules coming in, we are better placved than many rdgarding home grown talent and living within our means than most other clubs.

The transfer dealings and the employment of Graham Carr, Alan Pardew and John Carver have also been master strokes. Our scouting network appears to be vast and rewarding. To get players of the quality of Tiote, Cabaye, Ba, Cisse, HBA, Marveaux etc etc etc for less than the 35 million we got for Carroll is outstanding and isnt it great to see the list of excellent players from abroad we have either signed or have been linked with now espedcially when you consider that not 12 months ago, we were being linked with the likes of Larsson, Gardner and Heskey.

Whilst some people may still be upset about the renaming of the ground, get over it. As Ashley and Pardew have said, it is purely a financial arrangement to bring more players to the club and supporters will always know it as SJP.

I cannot see an awful lot Ashley has done wrong since we were relegated to be honest. In fact, I believe he has moved the club along quicker than anyone could have expected. The facts are:

After relegation, he got rid of the crap from the club. He cut costsz accordingly swhich was a necessary fact.

He backed the manager at the time with resources, although limited but within the financial framework.

He continued in the winter transfer window bringing in 4 players which virtually guaranteed instant promotion

He added to the squad, once again, limited due to the financial constraints once back in the PL.

He sold Andy Carroll which I think everyone now agrees, was an offer too good to refuse. Look at AC now.

OK, He sacked Hughton and was ruthless but results at WBA and Bolton were nowhere near good enough.

Pardew has so far proven to be a very good replacement and is even being talked about as England manager.

Look at the players who have come in and who has left this season.

Are we not 10 points or thereabouts better offthan the samed time last season.

Is the squad significantly better than last season?

Brought Virgin is as a shirt sponsor, a world reknowned brand.

In my opinion, Ashley has learned his lesson big time and is supporting the club to the hilt. We dont owe the bank and we are not losing insane amounts of money in interest as Ashley has taken over all debts interest free. If he takers someof the mpney generated back, who could blame him.

So, guys, lets not get stuck in a time warp of circa 2009 and get off the blokes back. He is turning this club around in an exceptional manner and we have never been so better run.

Or would you all prefer the days of Westwood, McKeag and Shepherd back?/????????????????????????????????? 

Good to see you dodged the SJP naming, however i agree with most of what you said, sadly guys it has to be understood a football club MUST be run like a business these days or they will go bust or worse just float like a side like Wigan. The only thing that must remain is the traditions associated with the club the renaming hurt this aspect

This week it was good to see quotes from supporters on other message boards, talking about us being a well-run club and querying why their club couldn't have picked up the likes of Cisse, Ba etc

That makes a real change from being the butt of other people's jokes, which has been the case for most of the time that I've been a supporter.

How old are people on here. Fucking hell. Everyone seems to have supported the team since 1700s ffs.

5 o'clock isn't such a long time ago arf arf.

We oldies are in the minority but you can spot us in the undergrowth now and then, waiting to pounce.

Guest rosstoon

Magpie 99 - Great post. Basically exactly what I have been thinking. Yes he has done wrong in certain areas, Yes he does fail to communicate effectively with the fans but we just have to look around and how the club is being run is a million times better than it has been over the past few years. If it was not for MA where would we be. Look at other clubs who have been in the PL over the past 20 years who are riddled with financial issues. I think we need to back his plans or at least keep quiet to take the club forward. A self made Billionaire knows how to run a business and not just a business a successful business and in times where money is tight he is still excelling in retail

See though, this is kind of like when someone in the Shola thread praises him for trapping the ball well or breathing, as though it wasn't completely to be expected. Mike's just starting to do what he should have been doing all along.  Got it tremendously wrong at the start of his tenure and has seemingly righted the ship, but then turns the cannon on his own deck and fires one through with the stadium renaming.  If we can get through just one season without some major gaffe like that I'll be a lot more at ease. 

Dekkas another story altogether, but seems to get along with Pardew. 

See though, this is kind of like when someone in the Shola thread praises him for trapping the ball well or breathing, as though it wasn't completely to be expected. Mike's just starting to do what he should have been doing all along.  Got it tremendously wrong at the start of his tenure and has seemingly righted the ship, but then turns the cannon on his own deck and fires one through with the stadium renaming.  If we can get through just one season without some major gaffe like that I'll be a lot more at ease. 

Dekkas another story altogether, but seems to get along with Pardew. 

at the start of his tenure he got it wrong by doing exactly what many on here want him to do by just blindly saying yes to the manager making poor signings on deals that were at best poor value and at worst unaffordable.

I have supported this club for over 50 years and in that time, I have seen some desperate situations and subsequently, some shocking abuse from the fans, some warranted and some not so warranted.

Whilst the initial mistakes made by Ashley culminating in relegation were borne from a clear set of circumstances where his ignorance of how a club should be run have resulted in a gigantic change of heart and a huge turnaround in the fortunes of the club to the present day. I dont think he is entitled to a vote of thanks but I do believe the constant personal abuse from many quarters should stop. It is clear to me that Newcastle United Football Club s being run in a very good business like manner.

If people on here, especially the older ones, hark back to the old days of Westwood, McKeag etc, they will understand that what has happened since Ashley took over is not an isolated incident to this club.

I remember the days in the 70s when we sold Pop Robson and Alan Suddick, our two best players at the time to West Ham and Blackpool. I remember the 80s when Beardsley, Waddle and Gascoigne were all sold to pay off debts and the 90s before the KK revival when all Ardiles could field was a team of kids and we were dive bombing out of existence.

I was one of the few on here, although upset with relegation at the time 3 years years ago, but quickly came to terms with it as a blessing in disguise. We had a squad of gutless, spineless, moneygrabbing under achievers on large contracts and the loss of these was a necessity just as immediate promotion was.

The Ashley business plan of buying young, cheap hungry players in starting to reap rewards. I remember KK cancelling the reserves and youth teams because he didnt want them playing at SJP. The total opposite is in place now and we are begiinning to see the fruits of our academy coming through. Ashley has poured millions into the academy development and with the lokes of Ab eid, Krul, Carroll, Ferguson, Ameobi, Tavernier, Forster and others coming through the ranks, we will be in a much better situation in the future. With the Fair Play rules coming in, we are better placved than many rdgarding home grown talent and living within our means than most other clubs.

The transfer dealings and the employment of Graham Carr, Alan Pardew and John Carver have also been master strokes. Our scouting network appears to be vast and rewarding. To get players of the quality of Tiote, Cabaye, Ba, Cisse, HBA, Marveaux etc etc etc for less than the 35 million we got for Carroll is outstanding and isnt it great to see the list of excellent players from abroad we have either signed or have been linked with now espedcially when you consider that not 12 months ago, we were being linked with the likes of Larsson, Gardner and Heskey.

Whilst some people may still be upset about the renaming of the ground, get over it. As Ashley and Pardew have said, it is purely a financial arrangement to bring more players to the club and supporters will always know it as SJP.

I cannot see an awful lot Ashley has done wrong since we were relegated to be honest. In fact, I believe he has moved the club along quicker than anyone could have expected. The facts are:

After relegation, he got rid of the crap from the club. He cut costsz accordingly swhich was a necessary fact.

He backed the manager at the time with resources, although limited but within the financial framework.

He continued in the winter transfer window bringing in 4 players which virtually guaranteed instant promotion

He added to the squad, once again, limited due to the financial constraints once back in the PL.

He sold Andy Carroll which I think everyone now agrees, was an offer too good to refuse. Look at AC now.

OK, He sacked Hughton and was ruthless but results at WBA and Bolton were nowhere near good enough.

Pardew has so far proven to be a very good replacement and is even being talked about as England manager.

In my opinion, Ashley has learned his lesson big time and is supporting the club to the hilt. We dont owe the bank and we are not losing insane amounts of money in interest as Ashley has taken over all debts interest free. If he takers someof the mpney generated back, who could blame him.

So, guys, lets not get stuck in a time warp of circa 2009 and get off the blokes back. He is turning this club around in an exceptional manner and we have never been so better run.

Some very wise, and imo spot on, points in there.

I'm a relatively young fan (24) but I totally agree with you about the blessing that was going down. The club had been going backwards for seasons, players were losing interest and unless we offered new players large contracts, the club couldn't attract anyone (and for the fans, the new away games were a welcome break from the high prices of the PL). True it may have been a different story had we struggled but the cheap/sensible/budget decisions made, did more than enough to get us promoted and set us up to leap frog the toss at the bottom of the PL. Finishing 12th last season was annoying but who realistically summed up our season based our final position? We continued to climb as a team and club, started/connected again to attract big names and the club was well on the way to break even. This season we've taken the next step and to even be linked to some of the names being mentioned, it feels good to be a NUFC supporter again.

True there have been some clangers and I myself have been very annoyed. However, these can be counted on one hand. Sometimes these decisions kick us in the balls but thats because we're too close to the clubs and the people involved. If you take a step back and consider the decision in terms of incoming money, personel structure or long term plans and many are more than sensible. All you have to do is wear the shirt abroad to see how others view us! People are talking about us for the right reasons and many see us as a club that are going against the downward norm. This includes other PL fans.

Put is this way, minus the top 5 (maybe to some extent Fulham and Stoke for short stints in Europe) which club is doing better than us since our relegation season or even the season or two before?

Or would you all prefer the days of Westwood, McKeag and Shepherd back?/????????????????????????????????? 

A lot of excellent points.

The last 2 and a half years have been enjoyable and the financial/development structure being implemented should make continued progress sustainable rather than this being just a flash in the pan.

However as we know there are no certainties in football and in particular Newcastle United, but right now from top to bottom the club looks to be in better shape than it has been for quite a while.

As someone who started going to SJP 1961, I remember everything magpie99 mentions and couldn't agree more! It is time for everyone to accept that everyone makes mistakes but the important thing is to learn from them, sort out the mess and push on. Thankfully it seem Ashley has done this and we will reap the benefits - with a bit of patience, something old timers like us are well used to having!

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/north-east-news/evening-chronicle-news/2012/01/19/nufc-owner-mike-ashley-boasting-new-look-72703-30156405/?

What a pointless article! Who on earth is being paid to come up with the estimation that he has lost three stone?!

That is fkn gerld. A whole article based on some dodgy screen grab.

"United fans have been lining up to congratulate the Toon owner for his dedication." Christ. :lol:

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/north-east-news/evening-chronicle-news/2012/01/19/nufc-owner-mike-ashley-boasting-new-look-72703-30156405/?

What a pointless article! Who on earth is being paid to come up with the estimation that he has lost three stone?!

"United fans have been lining up to congratulate the Toon owner for his dedication." Christ. :lol:

Wanted to meself like, but shit man you just couldn't get near him, that queue must have been at least half a mile long.

Wanted to meself like, but s*** man you just couldn't get near him, that queue must have been at least half a mile long.

:snod:

I think we should not just credit Ashley, he controls the purse but llambias runs the club daily.

I have largely supported ashley but I still do not get why he hired pardew. It works out well, but what exactly was the rationale ?