Mike Ashley

Christmas Tree

Nice gesture but let's be realistic. If we win today we could finish 10th, if we lose we could finish 17th. That's about a £3.5m difference in prize money is it not? So not entirely altruistic.

Nice gesture but let's be realistic. If we win today we could finish 10th, if we lose we could finish 17th. That's about a £3.5m difference in prize money is it not? So not entirely altruistic.

Difference between 10th and 17th is over 5 miilion quid:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2326007/Premier-League-prize-money-table-final-game-2013-season.html

I can't believe people are complaining about him giving out bonuses to the club staff.  Nice gesture imo.

Motives matter.

I call bullshit. The money he's giving out is real money, not fake money. The staff that will be receiving this money are most likely people who are in the median income bracket, which is in the tens of thousands of pounds. If they're £4,000 better off today at 5, that'll be ten percent or more of their yearly salary. That is huge. They won't be giving a damn why he's giving this because he didn't have to.

He could clearly not give this. Maybe he's giving it to provide extra motivation to the players, so fuck if he is. He doesn't have to. They're paid to play and win. Now they'll have to put some effort in to be able to look at the staff that serves them on a day to day basis in the eye.

It doesn't matter that he's covered if we win because of the increased prize money in the league. He's smart and potentially many people will benefit from this when previously the only one affected was him.

The quote that Dave posted shows the reason, to try and stop a 'them v us' scenario between players and staff. I like the idea that staff who have nowt to do with what happens on the pitch get a share of prize money.

So make it dependent on the final league position rather than a one game lottery, a more or less meaningless one for the players as well, in which the chances of him actually having to pay out are pretty damn slim. I think the initiative is PR related, but I still can't figure out why or how this benefits him or us.

Didn't that quote say it would have been given for a top 8 finish, with a 25% payrise if they'd got 5th? It's a pretty good gesture given we've missed both of those.

This this this.

Many of the non playing staff have also missed out on bonus' relating to our league position. To add an extra spark to the last game of the season he's offering a chance to still get a bit of a bonus if we get a result and maybe end up a couple of places higher.

An unnecessary gamble for him, but a welcome and potentially generous offer to those who've missed out.

Goodness knows what Interpolic finds so fucking offensive about it.

Does it matter if it's only because the club will see another £3m-£5m?, this is going to people who have no affect on the outcome of the game, probably average people like you or me. Plenty of companies out there give their staff a bonus on how well they do, if they hit a target and bring in so much then they will give workers a bonus. If it was you receiving the bonus in your pay packet tomorrow if we won I bet you wouldn't be complaining that you only got it because of such and such. Pretty much every club out there only give bonuses out to the playing staff depending on the position, I'm quite pleased that finally average Joe has a chance of getting something for a change.

I can't believe people are complaining about him giving out bonuses to the club staff.  Nice gesture imo.

Motives matter.

I call bullshit. The money he's giving out is real money, not fake money. The staff that will be receiving this money are most likely people who are in the median income bracket, which is in the tens of thousands of pounds. If they're £4,000 better off today at 5, that'll be ten percent or more of their yearly salary. That is huge. They won't be giving a damn why he's giving this because he didn't have to.

He could clearly not give this. Maybe he's giving it to provide extra motivation to the players, so fuck if he is. He doesn't have to. They're paid to play and win. Now they'll have to put some effort in to be able to look at the staff that serves them on a day to day basis in the eye.

It doesn't matter that he's covered if we win because of the increased prize money in the league. He's smart and potentially many people will benefit from this when previously the only one affected was him.

Ashley knows there is only a highly remote chance of us winning.

He's just shifting the blame on not having to pay out bonuses to the staff, to the players. Smart corporate governance move. The faith in the regime/management will be increased if employees believe there was a chance he would have paid out and there'll be higher employee morale, less company theft etc. Evil Kevin Nolan, Jose Enrique, Demba Ba, soon Colo and Cabaye will be the bad guys. Whilst blame is spread thin across multiple parties, money keeps pouring in.

You say it's not fake money, but given the likelihood of us winning, it just as well might be. He's covered, anyway. Good gamble from the fat arsehole who let's Pardew be as shit as he wants without repercussions.

Let's put it this way, if he really wanted to give the non-football staff a bonus, he could have sacked Pardew in January and used the money from a top table finish to fund the bonus. Gambling against beating CL-chasing Arsenal to give people a bonus ffs :lol: Real man of the people.

Motives matter.

He could clearly not give this. Maybe he's giving it to provide extra motivation to the players, so f*** if he is. He doesn't have to. They're paid to play and win. Now they'll have to put some effort in to be able to look at the staff that serves them on a day to day basis in the eye.

Excellent post :clap:

Motives matter.

Good post, especially the bold bit.

I think it's a great gesture, tbh. I know I wouldn't say no to £4000, especially if it was based upon immediate success of the team I support and work for. It's like a fucking class bet.

http://i.imgur.com/NDWhq5Y.gif

Reported.

:lol:

Seriously, though, Yankees_c***.gig = 

http://i.imgur.com/crumr1b.jpg

I'm seething about this so much that I hope we lose.

Not seething, just acknowledging that by 6pm bank balances will more likely remain as they are, when they could be higher had Ashley not hired and retained his incompetent friend - assuming the bonus was ever contingent on our league placing in the first place.

Ashley will, and apparently already has, gained some goodwill out of it though.

I'm donating my salary this month to a cat charity if Norwich beat Man City by three clear goals.

Is it not that the non playing  staff will get their regular incentivised bonuses regardless of what happens, and that this is just something extra Ashley has thrown in?

I'm seething about this so much that I hope we lose.

I'm donating my salary this month to a cat charity if Norwich beat Man City by three clear goals.

Good on you, Beren.

Is it not that the non playing  staff will get their regular incentivised bonuses regardless of what happens, and that this is just something extra Ashley has thrown in?

Of course it is, this is just a bit of a laugh/reason for us to win. They'll get normal bonuses or incentives like anyone else.

Of course it is, this is just a bit of a laugh/reason for us to win. They'll get normal bonuses or incentives like anyone else.

Exactly. A good thing too.