Mike Ashley

Christmas Tree

Imagine if he sells us to someone even worse and it turns out we actually should have been "careful what we wished for"  :lol:

Would just be fucking typical.

That was my first thought, sells it to a dodgy consortium who then go on to piss off Rafa and he leaves as well...

From what I understand with the Chinese is that they are being encouraged by their President to invest in football because he likes football and wants the World Cup so he wants to develop the interest in his country.  If the next President hates football, what would happen then?

Read a very good article recently about the surge of interest in English football from Chinese investors at a time when their own government has plans to push their domestic game to elite levels.

It said that many of the people involved are little known even in their own country and their dealings and motives are "opaque" to say the least. It concluded saying that while football fans are usually optimistic when their club gets new ownership in these cases it may be best to "be careful what you wish for".

Read a very good article recently about the surge of interest in English football from Chinese investors at a time when their own government has plans to push their domestic game to elite levels.

It said that many of the people involved are little known even in their own country and their dealings and motives are "opaque" to say the least. It concluded saying that while football fans are usually optimistic when their club gets new ownership in these cases it may be best to "be careful what you wish for".

The small buyers picking up the clubs before the big boys come and long. Selling the clubs on and making a profit out of it.

Too hard to say if I'd want Ashley to sell at this point as I haven't a clue who this Chinese consortium are and their intentions. Little more info and maybe or maybe not want something to get done. I'll never forgive Ashley for just about everything he's done since he purchased the club and ran it into the ground - the only redeeming thing he's done (so far) is bring Rafa in. Whether he goes and fucks this about is anyone's guess.

The ideal owner for us would be someone or some-group who'd want to do anything in their power to make us a title winning side, renovate/expand St James Park and invest into the infrastructure in and around the ground via retail, hotel, condos, apartments etc and create more economic impact to the area (ie what you see in America with some of these LA Live type complexes/setups)

Why would all that stuff make them the ideal owner Kanji? Referring to the retail/hotel stuff I mean. How would that stuff actually contribute to us becoming better on the pitch? Not slagging the idea, btw.

Guest firetotheworks

I reckon Newcastle city centre is fairly well covered for hotels and retail already tbh.

Yeah, but there's a hole in the market for student accommodation that needs to be filled.

Guest neesy111

Why would all that stuff make them the ideal owner Kanji? Referring to the retail/hotel stuff I mean. How would that stuff actually contribute to us becoming better on the pitch? Not slagging the idea, btw.

Commercial income could be a huge income for the club if done correctly.  German clubs are very good at it.

Commercial income could be a huge income for the club if done correctly.  German clubs are very good at it.

:thup:

Yorkie, did you miss the part where I said the owner would make us a title winning (more challenging) side? That should be pretty self explanatory. I probably forgot to mention developing training facilities/academy to the absolute best. But the other ancillary stuff, like renovating/expanding the ground is what many have asked for/discussed with it's obvious payoffs. The other commercial stuff is the added benefit of creating more jobs, more wealth, and more business activity than what's already there in the city of Newcastle.

Always have extra respect for sport owners who try to do their utmost for the people as well, in any other aspect by trying to improve the business climate or add to it. It's the total package.

Those football grounds that surround themselves with retail spaces, hotels and chain restaurants are the most ghastly and soulless in England tbh, as anyone who's been to Wigan will tell you. It's moot anyway, most of the area around SJP is freshly built up. I don't think we really need a version of The Gate closer to the ground than the one we already have at the bottom of the car park.

• 2 weeks later...

Those football grounds that surround themselves with retail spaces, hotels and chain restaurants are the most ghastly and soulless in England tbh, as anyone who's been to Wigan will tell you. It's moot anyway, most of the area around SJP is freshly built up. I don't think we really need a version of The Gate closer to the ground than the one we already have at the bottom of the car park.

this.

wigan, bolton, stoke, all wank.

Every ground in the country is either in an area like that, or alternatively in a post-industrial wasteland where there is absolutely fuck all.

We're almost completely unique and very lucky to have a city centre stadium that backs onto Leazes Park, grade 1 listed Georgian terraces and is in walking distance to... well everything that the city has to offer. You'd struggle to find a better stadium/location combination anywhere in world football tbh.

That said the St James' car park is a bit of a dead space and Kanji is right that there is a lot of potential for development there. Not least expanding the stadium and improving the Metro station. But not more identikit student accommodation or soulless retail to recycle money.

SANDWHICH GATE, I believe is what the financials are describing the latest Sports Direct debacle, it would appear Mike wasn't too happy about the situation (was that because they got caught)? and those bosses at that place must absolutely brainless.

SANDWHICH GATE, I believe is what the financials are describing the latest Sports Direct debacle, it would appear Mike wasn't too happy about the situation (was that because they got caught)? and those bosses at that place must absolutely brainless.

Anna Turley complaining about being spied on. 

http://www.itv.com/news/2016-11-07/mps-accuse-sports-direct-of-bugging-private-meeting-with-secret-recording-device/

How ironic.

https://www.theyworkforyou.com/mp/25313/anna_turley/redcar/divisions?policy=6751