Newcastle United 2 - 2 Tottenham - 16/10/11 - Post-match reaction from page 40

Dave

Y'all would love Warren Barton as a pundit, he's the best one over here when it comes to anyalsis.  And he loves the Toon matches.

I really enjoy listening to him. It's nice knowing he'll always be fair about us and he usually has good knowledge of what's going on with the club.

How can anyone disagree with the fact that we bossed the first half is beyond idiotic.

We might not have created anything, but to go down 1-0 was an injustice towards the way we played in that half. Absolutely bossed a top 4 contender with passing the ball around and letting them chase. Great performance, good result and bring on Wigan, Stoke and Everton. Massive 3 games before we play the BIG 3.

Just got back. Really good game i thought. Plenty of action and a decent atmosphere for most of the game.

I'd have taken a point before the game and certainly would have taken one with 20 minutes to go, but with the way we played for most of the game I could make decent case for us taking all three. Couple of silly lapses cost us but I don't think we can be too disappointed overall.

Krul 7 - Solid and dependable.

Simpson - 5 - Looking really shaky. Should be dropped soon.

Raylor - 6.5 - Solid, decent delivery. Kept Bale quiet early on forcing him to move over to the left.

Saylor - 7 - One shocking tackle, other than that played very well.

Coloccini - 8 - Never looked troubled, great distribution, should have scored.

Obertan - 6.5 - Flashes, sparks, still not convinced about this guy.

Cabaye - 6.5 - In and out of the game. Not quite up to his best but understandable given his international efforts.

Tiote - 7.5 - Covered the whole pitch, tenacious and snappy, good effort late on.

Jonas - 7.5 - Really impressed today. Stretched them going forward and worked hard for the whole 90.

Best - 6.5 - Not as good as Blackburn game but still pleasantly surprising. Strong, always on the move and links well with Ba.

Ba - 7 - Good position for the goal, always trouble the Spurs back four with his pace and power. Really like this partnership.

Barfa - 6.5 - Buzzed around, wanted to get involved. Hope to see him start next week, maybe in place of Obertan.

Ameobi - 7.5 - Got the usual comments when he came on from the crowd around me but you can't keep this man down. Cracking finish and decent all round play.

Santon - Not on long enough but looked a million per cent improvement on Simpson. Must start next week.

Krul 6 - Some good saves, couldn't do much about either of their goals.

Simpson 5 - Didn't look happy when he was subbed, but he can't complain too much. Beginning to look like the odd man out.

S.Taylor 6.5 - Solid aside from the tackle that gave away the penalty.

Coloccini 7.5 -Another assured display, should have scored.

R.Taylor 6 - A threat with his free-kicks, that should keep him in the side and Simpson dropped for Santon.

Obertan 5.5 - Full of running, little end product, passing was poor again.

Tiote 7.5 - He was everywhere, covers when any of the defenders are out of position, terrific battling display and midfield and possibly could have scored.

Cabaye 7 - Was a bit sloppy in the 1st half but played some good balls and put in a good defensive effort in the 2nd half.

Jonas 8 - Top display, really troubled Walker down their right flank and pitched in with a great assist for Ba's goal.

Best 6.5 - Hold up play and movement really helps us in attacking sense despite his lack of goals in recent games.

Ba 7 - Took his goal well, can't ask for much more, can see him getting 15-20 goals with good service.

Ben Arfa 6 - Thought he gave us some drive going forward, tried to do to much at times but will have more an impact with increased game time.

Shola 7 -  :smitten: Hold up play was good, and what a brilliant finish. When Shola is at his best he can really cause defenders problems.

Santon - Nice little cameo, really want to see him get a full 90.

Quite a balanced and fair assessment. :thup: Some funny errors too. Ba's headed goal and Defoe's viscous strike.

That was almost biased in our favour, to be honest. The hand ball at the end of that was very much a case of ball to hand imo.

Can't disguise the fact that that I was happy to leave SJP with Spurs having picked up a point.

Much the better team for the first 20/25 minutes but after that it was all a struggle without Newcastle not really creating much in the way of clear cut chances.  I said before the game I thought Spurs would lose if Sandro didn't play and I thought yesterday proved what a fundamental cog he is in the Spurs wheel.  Parker and Livermore struggled to match Tiote and Cabaye, I think it might have been different if it had been Parker and Sandro.

That said, injuries are part and parcel, that's why clubs have squads.  A lot of credit to Newcastle to the way they they controlled the game much of the time.  I'm just glad you couldn't convert the control into chances and goals.

That negative Sky pundit Provan said Newcastle would lose at 0-1 because we would just knock long balls and did not have the guile to pass through Spurs,

Loved how seconds after he said it Jonas waltzed past their defence to set Ba up for the equaliser.

Krul 6 - Some good saves, couldn't do much about either of their goals.

Simpson 5 - Didn't look happy when he was subbed, but he can't complain too much. Beginning to look like the odd man out.

S.Taylor 6.5 - Solid aside from the tackle that gave away the penalty.

Coloccini 7.5 -Another assured display, should have scored.

R.Taylor 6 - A threat with his free-kicks, that should keep him in the side and Simpson dropped for Santon.

Obertan 5.5 - Full of running, little end product, passing was poor again.

Tiote 7.5 - He was everywhere, covers when any of the defenders are out of position, terrific battling display and midfield and possibly could have scored.

Cabaye 7 - Was a bit sloppy in the 1st half but played some good balls and put in a good defensive effort in the 2nd half.

Jonas 8 - Top display, really troubled Walker down their right flank and pitched in with a great assist for Ba's goal.

Best 6.5 - Hold up play and movement really helps us in attacking sense despite his lack of goals in recent games.

Ba 7 - Took his goal well, can't ask for much more, can see him getting 15-20 goals with good service.

Ben Arfa 6 - Thought he gave us some drive going forward, tried to do to much at times but will have more an impact with increased game time.

Shola 7 -  :smitten: Hold up play was good, and what a brilliant finish. When Shola is at his best he can really cause defenders problems.

Santon - Nice little cameo, really want to see him get a full 90.

Agree with this pretty much. Jonas and Collocini were excellent again, Jonas's assist for our first was world class and we really lacked that final cutting edge for all our posession until that point.  But thought Tiote was our best player. Absolutley imenense again i'd give him an 8.5. If that shot had gone in that friedel tipped over the bar he'd have been a 9.5. They (tiote and Jonas) really are the engine of our midfield and we always seem to have a foothold in a game when they are at their best.

For Wigan we need to give others game time. Santon has to come in for Simpson and Marveaux (or Ben Arfa if only two changes) should be an improvement on obertan. Ben arfa is a world class player we need to get him back up to speed. He should be tried instead of Best. Although harsh on Best who has played quite well in all fairness to him.

Night and day when Ben Arfa and Santon came on for Best and Simpson, we were a completely different team. Hopefully much more of the same.

:lol: some people will stop at nothing to acknowledge a good performance by our 'figures of hate' :undecided: another shocking statement.

imo, Santon showed more positive qualities in 15 mins than Simpson did in 75. I saw it, with my own eyes, it happened, imo

I completely agree with you DrV, I thought the Santon switch was an astute decision at the time (Bale looked to be getting more space against a flagging/stretched Simpson) and Santon is not exactly short of attacking flair.

My post to HowK was about his steadfast refusal to acknowledge Shola's contribution, crediting the change in performance solely to Ben Arfa (and Santon) instead...because they're 'cool' players

Guest Roger Kint

According to The Sun, Bale was as good as Tiote and Jonas.  Wow.

They also reckon Van der Twaart was better than nearly our whole team......