Gary Speed (1969–2011)

Dokko

Lads, take it elsewhere man.

:thup:

Well what we can take from that is even during such a frustrating season he remained the reliable professional he always was.

(... except for that penalty he gave away at home to Birmingham ;))

Guest bimpy474

Speedo was quite simply brilliant, never trouble like Barton, hardly ever injured like Woodgate or Shola (not criticising them for that), always gave 100%.

The world is full of hateful, nasty, perverted people undeserving of life, yet people like Speedo, Sir Bobby and plenty of ordinary lads and lasses are taken despite being wonderful human beings, never will i figure that out. When anyone says something is unfair, like not winning the lottery or just moaning in general, thats not unfair, losing the fantastic beautiful lives of Speedo and Sir Bobby and countless others, now thats unfair.

I just hope right now that Speedo's not getting a word in edgeways as Sir Bobby is in full flow, talking football as he loved to do.............now that would be something quite simply Beautiful.

Speedo was quite simply brilliant, never trouble like Barton, hardly ever injured like Woodgate or Shola (not criticising them for that), always gave 100%.

The world is full of hateful, nasty, perverted people undeserving of life, yet people like Speedo, Sir Bobby and plenty of ordinary lads and lasses are taken despite being wonderful human beings, never will i figure that out. When anyone says something is unfair, like not winning the lottery or just moaning in general, thats not unfair, losing the fantastic beautiful lives of Speedo and Sir Bobby and countless others, now thats unfair.

I just hope right now that Speedo's not getting a word in edgeways as Sir Bobby is in full flow, talking football as he loved to do.............now that would be something quite simply Beautiful.

O0

Think it's been mentioned but it's amazing how many players were good friends with him, such a great reflection on his character.

Another one:

Gary Speed had planned to spend Christmas in Dubai with his family, it was revealed today.

Gary's former Leeds teammate and friend Carlton Palmer said that Gary was flying his family out to the UAE for the festive period.

Palmer said that the 42-year-old Wales coach had been planning on doing some Abu Dhabi TV work and coaching sessions.

Paying tribute to Gary, who was was found hanged at his home in Cheshire on Sunday morning, the former England midfielder said: "I'm absolutely gutted, Speedo and I were very good friends.

"We shared the same agent and he was coming out here for Christmas to stay. He was going to do some Abu Dhabi TV work and some coaching sessions at Le Royal Meridien Hotel.

"We had only recently spoken on the phone to him and his wife Louise about their trip with the boys, Tommy and Ed."

Palmer, who is planning to fly back to the UK to attend Gary's funeral, added: "This is totally out of character for Gary. I don't know what put him into that position — hopefully we'll find out what's tipped him over the edge.

"I know people say stuff when someone passes away but you couldn't find a nicer guy in football. If you could name a better bloke than Speedo you'd have done well.

"I don't buy into the fact he was struggling to cope with his football career ending. He played up until he was 41, went straight into coaching and had a beautiful family, he dotes on his boys. He had everything to live for.

"He was successful at Wales. It wasn't day-to-day but that was his choosing he could have stayed at Sheffield United but it was a great honour for him to work for Wales, so I don't think its an issue of him missing his playing days.

"Something terrible has happened to put him in a position whereby he'd to take his own life."

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-stories/2011/11/29/gary-speed-had-arranged-family-christmas-trip-to-dubai-115875-23597275/

SILENCE!

Silence shows that you respect, revere or honour the person. As much as that is true of Speed, applause, chanting and singing show love.

Silence was appropriate for the Queen Mum; Speed deserves 120dB.

Still can't fathom it and not coming to terms with it at all. Listened to the 606 tribute (podcast of Sunday night's broadcast) in the car today. It was raining cats and dogs outside and I could probably have done with windscreen wipers for my eyes as I listened.  Anyway, this article includes a few details I wasn't aware of.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/nov/29/gary-speed-inquest-not-suspicious

Gary Speed's body found in garage of family home, inquest told

Inquest into death of Wales football manager told that police are not treating his death as suspicious

guardian.co.uk, Tuesday 29 November 2011 19.48 GMT

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Admin/BkFill/Default_image_group/2011/11/29/1322591317700/Gary-Speed-Tributes-in-Wa-007.jpg

Tributes are left at the Billy Bremner statue outside Elland Road football ground in memory of former player Gary Speed. Photograph: Gareth Copley/Getty Images

The body of the Wales football manager, Gary Speed, was found by his wife, Louise, in the garage of their home in Huntington, near Chester, shortly after 7am on Sunday, an inquest heard on Tuesday. The coroner, Nicholas Rheinberg, opened and adjourned the inquest at Warrington town hall. A full hearing will take place on 30 January.

The inquest heard that police were not treating the death as suspicious.

Rheinberg asked the coroner's officer, James Hargreaves, when and where Speed had died. "At his home address, sir, on 27 November," he replied.

The preliminary postmortem examination found the provisional cause of death was hanging.

Detective Inspector Peter Lawless of Cheshire police, said: "Just after 7am, we were called to Huntington Hall with a report of a hanging. Uniformed colleagues initially arrived and I was called a short time after, at around 8.30am."

He said Speed had been found by his wife who had contacted the ambulance service and "was advised on what to do."Speed, 42, played for Leeds United, Everton, Newcastle United, Bolton Wanderers and Sheffield United during a lengthy and successful career, and won 85 caps playing for Wales.

I'm still perplexed how it can be said there were no suspicious circumstances. It seems to me inherently suspicious that he should suddenly decide to kill himself. But then we're just going over what is now fast becoming old ground, so I'll leave it there.

Still can't fathom it and not coming to terms with it at all. Listened to the 606 tribute (podcast of Sunday night's broadcast) in the car today. It was raining cats and dogs outside and I could probably have done with windscreen wipers for my eyes as I listened.  Anyway, this article includes a few details I wasn't aware of.

I was listening to 606 all day Sunday. It was truly heart-wrenching. Fans from all over the country, regardless of team calling in to voice their praise for him. A Liverpool fan talking about what a pleasure it had been to drive around an Everton player; a Leeds fan who'd briefly spoken to Gary a year or so beforehand, but Gary had remembered his name and went back inside and got him some spare players' tickets for him and his six-year-old lad; and on and on. Story after story from all manner of fans and people in general talking about what a wonderful, wonderful man he was. Heart-breaking.

I'm still perplexed how it can be said there were no suspicious circumstances. It seems to me inherently suspicious that he should suddenly decide to kill himself. But then we're just going over what is now fast becoming old ground, so I'll leave it there.

That just means that there were no apparent indications of anything other than suicide. The reasons for his suicide are still TBD. I think we're all as shocked as each other.

I was listening to 606 all day Sunday. It was truly heart-wrenching. Fans from all over the country, regardless of team calling in to voice their praise for him. A Liverpool fan talking about what a pleasure it had been to drive around an Everton player; a Leeds fan who'd briefly spoken to Gary a year or so beforehand, but Gary had remembered his name and went back inside and got him some spare players' tickets for him and his six-year-old lad; and on and on. Story after story from all manner of fans and people in general talking about what a wonderful, wonderful man he was. Heart-breaking.

That just means that there were no apparent indications of anything other than suicide. The reasons for his suicide are still TBD. I think we're all as shocked as each other.

yeah it will mean there were no signs of a struggle or evidence of another person involved

There are some serious problems with the British "journalism" field.  We have our fair share of bullshit over here but everyone knows they are fake magazines (US Weekly, National Enquirer, etc..) but it seems like a lot of British papers that print pure speculation and shit-stirring really parade themselves around as real magazines/papers.  How do they get away with producing stuff that is quite obviously not real but printing it as truth?

There are some serious problems with the British "journalism" field.  We have our fair share of bullshit over here but everyone knows they are fake magazines (US Weekly, National Enquirer, etc..) but it seems like a lot of British papers that print pure speculation and shit-stirring really parade themselves around as real magazines/papers.  How do they get away with producing stuff that is quite obviously not real but printing it as truth?

It's absolutely despicable what the press get up to in the UK.

The red tops long ago forgot the distinction between what is in the public interest and what interests the public. On top of that, you have a press "watchdog" that, just like the ratings agencies that essentially colluded in causing the financial crisis, is beholden to the people it's supposed to be monitoring for funds.

And it would be utterly remiss to ignore the role of the British public in the whole affair. Nobody gave a flying fuck about tapping phones when it was celebrities and politicians (people who'd put themselves out there, and were therefore fair game). It was only when it came out that they'd been hacking into the phones of murder victims, dead servicemen and their families that there was any noticeable outrage.

Until that came out, it would have been suicidal for any politician or police force to go up against the tabloids (which is why the police initially buried most of the evidence that came out during the royal phone-tapping scandal a few years back).

Reading the Daily Star story, it looks like it has spurred players on to seek help, which is a good thing. It sounds strange at first, but it reminds me of Jade Goody's death - smear tests rapidly increased in the wake of her death and it saved lives. It is barely a consolation, but maybe what happened to Speedo will save some more.