Gary Speed (1969–2011)

Dokko

Guest bimpy474

May have been mentioned, but does anyone know if anywhere are publishing the words for this (Bread of Heaven) prior to Saturday? Not that I'm going, like, but it would be class if a good number of people sang along.

They are giving out the words to everyone who goes at the turnstiles i think.

May have been mentioned, but does anyone know if anywhere are publishing the words for this (Bread of Heaven) prior to Saturday? Not that I'm going, like, but it would be class if a good number of people sang along.

They are giving out the words to everyone who goes at the turnstiles i think.

Good. I know not everyone is sold on the idea of the hymn, but I really like it, especially given the meaning of the song. I'm no sure how religious he was, if at all, but I think it's respectful of his heritage and his pride in being Welsh. Seems fitting, for 50k+ plus people who loved him as much as they could without knowing the man who want to respect his passing in an appropriate way. Our own service if you will. People may not agree that's appropriate. But they should still give it their all.

I hope we do him proud. I just wish I could be there.

Definitely would've preferred the minutes silence followed by a wall of noise and a chorus of 'One Gary Speed', a minutes applause is common place in football, a silence would've been much more powerful. I do like the rest of the clubs plans though, seem very respectful and well thought out, well done to the club for that.

I wish it was a silence as well, much more fitting to stand and reflect.

You know, I was totally wrong. Silence is much better than a minute's applause.

Whey, it doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things. I'm sure everyone will be thinking of him anyway. I've just always preferred quiet time to think.

Guest Howaythetoon

I've spent more than a minute in silence mourning his passing to be honest, now I just want to celebrate his life and the good times we shared with him while he was here so I fully support the minute's applause. That said, if people want to spend that minute in silnce I think that should be fine too, in short it should be up to the individual how they want to celebrate/mourn. You can do both you know.

http://fourfourtwo.com/blogs/fourfourtwoview/archive/2011/11/28/remembering-gary-speed.aspx

“I was heartbroken the day I left Newcastle, but football breaks your heart all the time,” Speed said.

Asked for his proudest moment in football, he said: “Being captain of my country, Wales.”

He still regretted not taking that penalty against Romania in 1993 and said: “If I had missed then it would be easier for me to live with it…”

There were more questions, like: “One thing you couldn’t live without?”

“My kids,” replied Speed. “I’ve got two at 14 and 12.”

The final question was: ‘What item do you cherish most?’ Sometimes footballers go onto auto-pilot in interviews. They talk clichés, niceties and nonsense. Speed paused for a good 30 seconds.

“Certainly nothing material,” he replied. “I don’t even know where my championship medal is from Leeds. So I’d say family. We’re an item and they mean everything to me.”

I've spent more than a minute in silence mourning his passing to be honest, now I just want to celebrate his life and the good times we shared with him while he was here so I fully support the minute's applause. That said, if people want to spend that minute in silnce I think that should be fine too, in short it should be up to the individual how they want to celebrate/mourn. You can do both you know.

Well said.

I come to terms with this, forget about it for a bit, Then remember whats happened and it hurts like f*** everytime. ive never felt like that over a person ive never met.

was saying that last night to someone.

Think seeing him so much, playing, on Tv panels, him being of similar age, brings it home.