Gary Speed (1969–2011)

Dokko

Guest Haris Vuckic

''"We sometimes think of football being important, but it’s not." Gary Neville regarding the death of Gary Speed.

In 2005 during a particularly dull lecture, me and a mate made a list of the ideal candidates to replace Pierce Brosnan as James Bond.

Speed was 2nd, after Clive Owen.

I'd have had him over Clive Owen, tbh.

I think Owen's height just sneaked it.

The Savage interview just makes this all the more perplexing.

He was talking to Speed just yesterday morning and they were laughing and joking and nothing seemed out of the ordinary.

It's just come completely out of the blue for everyone and I can't even think about what he was suppressing inside and how he was feeling to have done this.

Just makes the whole thing even sadder. Poor poor bloke :(

The Savage interview just makes this all the more perplexing.

He was talking to Speed just yesterday morning and they were laughing and joking and nothing seemed out of the ordinary.

It's just come completely out of the blue for everyone and I can't even think about what he was suppressing inside and how he was feeling to have done this.

Just makes the whole thing even sadder. Poor poor bloke :(

The Dom Watson (or whatever his name is) one is pretty scary too. Says he was talking to Speed and he was going on about playing golf next week, using twitter etc etc. Then he went home and this happened.

The Dan Walker blog on the BBC website, recounting seeing Gary Speed yesterday.  It just doesn't make sense.

Aye that's the one,

"Mr Walker said: “He was on great form, cracking jokes and asking about my family and kids. He was talking passionately about the future. There was absolutely no indication at all.

“He gave me the impression that he was really looking forward to his kids growing up to be really good footballers and Wales qualifying for the World Cup.”"

The Dan Walker blog on the BBC website, recounting seeing Gary Speed yesterday.  It just doesn't make sense.

Aye that's the one,

"Mr Walker said: “He was on great form, cracking jokes and asking about my family and kids. He was talking passionately about the future. There was absolutely no indication at all.

“He gave me the impression that he was really looking forward to his kids growing up to be really good footballers and Wales qualifying for the World Cup.”"

See this is what I don't understand. I know depressed people must put on a front but to go from waxing lyrical about all your future aspirations to then committing suicide HOURS later, I can't compute it. I know it probably is depression but do you think there's any chance that something may have happened just yesterday that drove him to this??!?

Aye that's the one,

See this is what I don't understand. I know depressed people must put on a front but to go from waxing lyrical about all your future aspirations to then committing suicide HOURS later, I can't compute it. I know it probably is depression but do you think there's any chance that something may have happened just yesterday that drove him to this??!?

something like this must play on a persons mind for ages. i wouldn't think you would just do this on a whim. makes me really sad to think that he has been considering this for a while.