Gary Speed (1969–2011)

Dokko

This has totally knocked the stuffing out of me today. I came home after a quality weekend away and I just feel so upset now. Was easily one of my favourite players and he just seemed such a genuine fella, down to earth and a true nice guy.

Devastated right now, constant lump in my throat, grew up through my childhood and early teens with him in our side and he really was a sporting hero of mine.

EDIT: Obviously my thoughts are with the kids and wife, can't imagine how on earth they must feel right now.

NUFCOfficial Newcastle United FC

Alan Pardew: "This is one of the saddest days in football, when we hear a colleague as respected as Gary is tragically no longer with us."

4 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

Changed the channel to catch start of the match to hear them talking in the studio about somebody passing away, caught the surname and tried to tell myself it might have been an ex swansea player from the 60's/70's but quick hop to SSN confirmed my fears. Felt like I'd been kicked in the stomach.

Didn't get to see him play properly for us but saw him turn out for Shearer's testimonial.  Could feel the love we had for him pour from the stands.

RIP Gary.

Been working today and was stunned when this came on the radio, f***ing awful news. Can't believe it really.

The number of people from all avenues queueing up to pay tribute speaks volumes for the man.

RIP

Guest Haris Vuckic

When Bobby died I didn't cry, I was sad but at the same time I was appreciative because he lived such a fantastic life.

I've got tears in my eyes thinking about this, he was always one of my favourites.

Best wishes to his family and friends.

Our early kick off next Saturday on Sky will see us the first team is recognise Gary Speed. Hope to see loads of Speed shirts in the crowd and a well respected silence/applause.

Yeah. Unfortunately there'll always be two or three dickheads at the back of the Gallowgate.

Our early kick off next Saturday on Sky will see us the first team is recognise Gary Speed. Hope to see loads of Speed shirts in the crowd and a well respected silence/applause.

Yeah. Unfortunately there'll always be two or three dickheads at the back of the Gallowgate.

don't think there will be on this occasion.

Still remember a shot of his against Marseille in the UEFA cup. It was about an inch wide but it looked in from our side of the stadium. Our section celebrated for a good minute before we all realised it was a goal kick :lol:

Still remember a shot of his against Marseille in the UEFA cup. It was about an inch wide but it looked in from our side of the stadium. Our section celebrated for a good minute before we all realised it was a goal kick :lol:

Remember that like it was yesterday. Don't think i've ever celebrated something that didn't go in as much as i did on that occasion. Was certain he'd scored.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

Aye!

don't think there will be on this occasion.

If there is they deserve a shoeing.

Just catching up on the news, can't get over the fact it's suicide, seemed to be going so well for him professionally. Can't imagine how his family are coping right now.

Guest GeordieAce

Been thinking about this all day and trying to make sense of it. I can only think of two things that would drive someone to that extreme and its either he was silently suffering from depression or he found out something and couldn't cope. FFS he was only on TV last night. Such a strange twist of fate for such a well liked, respectable lad. Sad day for all concerned.

I woke up this morning and checked the twitter feed and saw this, had to re-read it multiple times. This one abs has cut me up today, puts life into perspective really.  He was one of my favorite Toon players for his commitment & profesionalism on and off the pitch.  He always gave his all to us and I can vividly remember some of his goals for us, esp from set peices and what not.  I'm just gutted tbh. Legend.