Gary Speed (1969–2011)

Dokko

It just doesn't seem real man. I keep reading the headlines over and over but still can't even fathom the thought of him committing suicide. So sad.

Just watched the video's on the BBC website of the Swansea tribute and then the Savage interview and got choked up.

Fucking gutted about this like, I've seen footballing legends pass before, but this is the first player from my generation who I've been and watched many times. Despite the six brilliant years he had here, one of my most endearing memories of him is from 2 years after he left, Shearer's testimonial; I know it was only a friendly but at 37 he still genuinely looked a class act that night and a step up from the players who had been playing in his position at the club at the time.

RIP Gary.  :(

It just doesn't seem real man. I keep reading the headlines over and over but still can't even fathom the thought of him committing suicide. So sad.

Just watched the video's on the BBC website of the Swansea tribute and then the Savage and got choked up.

:sadnod:

Not that it matters to others here, but I do feel that the thread title should just be "RIP Gary Speed 1968-2011" and no more. It's a tragedy whichever way he died. No need to have the "takes his own life" in there at all, in my humble opinion.

:(

I'd just like to say for the record, the thread title was edited to that by me because at the time the news broke most people were unaware of the circumstances of his death. No disrespect was intended and I apologise if anyone found it offensive.

When i heard while watching my mates play rugby i struggled to hold back the tears.

I got in and saw Shay crying which set me off a treat.

I've been reading this thred for nearly an hour, and the link of the Swansea fans singing set me off for a good 5 minutes.

R.I.P Gary Speed.

Thoughts are with your family.

Fucking gutted about this like, I've seen footballing legends pass before, but this is the first player from my generation who I've been and watched many times. Despite the six brilliant years he had here, one of my most endearing memories of him is from 2 years after he left, Shearer's testimonial; I know it was only a friendly but at 37 he still genuinely looked a class act that night and a step up from the players who had been playing in his position at the club at the time.

RIP Gary.  :(

Same with me. Was one of my favourite players for years, had him on the back of a canny few shirts.

Not that it matters to others here, but I do feel that the thread title should just be "RIP Gary Speed 1968-2011" and no more. It's a tragedy whichever way he died. No need to have the "takes his own life" in there at all, in my humble opinion.

I'd just like to say for the record, the thread title was edited to that by me because at the time the news broke most people were unaware of the circumstances of his death. No disrespect was intended and I apologise if anyone found it offensive.

Tbf a lot of people were coming in here posting stuff like "what, how!?" so you just did what normally happens with threads and add a little more info to the title. No harm done imo, most know now and the title has been amended accordingly :thup:

I honestly thought I had misheard the radio commentary when they said the minutes silence at liverpool was partly for Gary speed what a shocker - RIP to a toon legend

Guest johnson293

I honestly thought I had misheard the radio commentary when they said the minutes silence at liverpool was partly for Gary speed what a shocker - RIP to a toon legend

Aye, apparently Liverpool were already gonna have a minutes silence, as their reserve keeper Brad Jones' young bairn died too, after a long illness. :(

For those who think something else might be involved read this http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2066511/Stan-Collymore-reveals-extent-depression-battle.html and if nothing else I hope it encourages anyone else suffering in silence like Gary Speed obviously was to get help from a GP, Samaritans or whoever they can talk to. Hopefully gets rid of the stigma from some people that people should just cheer up and stop complaining when suffering with this illness.

RIP Gary, already hugely missed.

Don't think anyone thought any different. Was right title at time and was then the right time to change.

Still struggling with this, just does not compute