Gary Speed (1969–2011)

Dokko

Genuinely shaken when I heard this news. To think of a guy at the top of his profession, doing a great job, wife and two kids at home, doing this is truly tragic.

Just shows how inexplicable and insidious depression can be (if that's what it was) - can even take people who appear to have everything going for them.

Genuinely shaken when I heard this news. To think of a guy at the top of his profession, doing a great job, wife and two kids at home, doing this is truly tragic.

Just shows how inexplicable and insidious depression can be (if that's what it was) - can even take people who appear to have everything going for them.

although it's highly likely theres nothing to say it was depression yet.

although it's highly likely theres nothing to say it was depression yet.

I know, just guessing for now.

Joey7Barton Joseph Barton

Suicide is a mix of the most tragic, most selfish, most terrible (and I want to believe preventable) acts out there.

Oh Joseph you stupid cunt.

He really needs to learn when to shut up.

It's got to the point where I'm fed up with a daft cunt who went to prison for knocking seven shades of shit out of someone lecturing me and everyone else about morals.

Guest Milburnthedog

R.I.P. Gary, I hope you've left those demons well behind.

Great memories of a fantastic professional.

Thoughts with his families and friends.

Would be nice if one of the Welsh lads snaps him in half at some point this season.

You come across as such a buffoon, I am not sure if this post is deliberately in the wrong thread or not.

Edit : I realise that you're talking about Barton. You need to be clearer.

Would be nice if one of the Welsh lads snaps him in half at some point this season.

You come across as such a buffoon, I am not sure if this post is deliberately in the wrong thread or not.

Which thread should it be in?

Wow, utterly shocked by this news.

He certainly was one of my favourite Bolton players, a fantastic captain who gave his all for the club and a consummate professional. Gave 100% commitment, and was the lynchpin of the best Bolton team I'm ever likely to see. It was always a pleasure to watch him play - I remember him being at the stadium when he scored a fantastic overhead kick - not bad for a 36-year old!

I also had the pleasure of meeting him a couple of times at functions at the Reebok, a nicer man you could not wish to meet.

RIP Gary.

From Twitter:

Number10gov UK Prime Minister

The Prime Minister was deeply saddened to hear of the death of Gary Speed, who was greatly respected by football fans across the country.

Number10gov UK Prime Minister

The Prime Minister's thoughts are with Gary Speed’s family and friends on this very sad day for fans everywhere, especially in Wales.

CHRONICLE chief sports writer Lee Ryder has paid tribute to Gary Speed following the news of the Wales manager's death at his home in Cheshire.

In the video below, Lee talks about his memories of the former Newcastle United midfielder's career at the Toon.

He also reflects on the legacy that Gary Speed will leave to football.

Read More http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/newcastle-united/nufc-news/2011/11/27/video-lee-ryder-on-the-death-of-gary-speed-72703-29851883/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter#ixzz1evVV3P5n

Guest Haris Vuckic

Shola Ameobi: "I looked up to the likes of Gary and Alan Shearer, and he was always there for me and the rest of the young lads" #GarySpeed

Guest Howaythetoon

I just don't get it. I welled up when the minutes applause was going around Swansea's stadium. I don't want to speculate but suicide man? It just doesn't fit. Either way this is really sad and I hope the best for his family and close friends. He was one of my fave players. He was very underrated I thought and I remember his early days at Leeds where he was a flying left winger believe it or not. I think Sir Bobby converted him into an anchor type of midfielder and he was a tremendous midfield general for us, one of the best.