Gary Speed (1969–2011)

Dokko

Guest firetotheworks

It's weird how the shock of this has totally gone for me, it shouldn't, it should still be as shocking now as when it happened when you really think about it. I think a lot of us thought about it all the time for a long time and it kept us up at night thinking about it. 

Anyway, I echo the sentiments. A great player and someone that seemed like a lovely bloke, it's a real shame.

Think I was on holiday in Singapore and got a text about it.  I had always been fairly disparaging about people being upset about famous people dying before that, but I was absolutely amazed about how much it affected me.

Aye, still remember hearing about it. Was out shopping with my son, we got back in the car and it came on the radio one news. I had t do a double take when I heard it.

First sports person death that's really cut me up. Think it was the fact he was as young, and that i'd watched him playing for NUFC what is still fairly recently.

Anyway, hope he's at peace now, and thoughts are still with his family.

• 11 months later...
  • 11 months later...

Well, this pissed me right off this morning. Fucksakes. Club legend and a supposed fan page on Facebook can't even get the year of his death right.  :jesuswept: :anguish: :anguish: :anguish: :anguish:

http://i.imgur.com/55W0XOW.png

Guest firetotheworks

Aye, I still remember being in Sainsbury's in Gosforth when my mate texted me and then texted how it had happened. I don't think I've ever been affected by someone I didn't know 's death like that, or will again. I felt sick non-stop for ages.

One of my biggest heroes. :(

same here. great player but seemed such a nice bloke, without a hint of arrogance.

loved shearer as a player but he seemed a touch cold and arrogant. so it was always gary for me and my brother.

Guest Howaythetoon

I don't cry often, but I did the day Speed died. Such a huge loss and easily one of my fave Toon players and someone I wanted to manage us at some point. :(

• 2 weeks later...

Somebody reminded me the other day of when me and a friend tried to start a new Gary Speed song at the Arsenal cup final. Standing either side of Wembley Way (somewhat the worse for wear...), as thousands streamed through, one shouting "Gary..". The other:

"...Speed."

"He scores them with his heed! Gary Speed, Gary Speed!" Repeat and swap 'heed' with 'both feet,' when you get bored.

Bit of a random 'share' but it is just that I felt instantly happy at the memory, and then instantly sad at his loss and the circumstances. It doesn't go away. RIP.

• 11 months later...
  • 1 month later...