Newcastle United 0 - 3 Chelsea - 12/03/11 - post-match reaction from page 37

Beren

They scored their last two with us basically down to 10 men due to Taylors injury.

The positives are that we've matched all 3 teams in our last 3 games. As a team we are very good, its no luck. We now need to hope injuries sort themselves & we'll have a nice season ahead.

They scored their last two with us basically down to 10 men due to Taylors injury.

The positives are that we've matched all 3 teams in our last 3 games. As a team we are very good, its no luck. We now need to hope injuries sort themselves & we'll have a nice season ahead.

Encouragingly we've played some fairly good football as well. Even if the results haven't gone our way, I still see progress on the pitch.

Just got home and have to rush out to a basketball match in ten minutes so haven't had time to read through this thread before I put down my thoughts.

Cannot really fault the lads today. Thought it was the wrong decision to start Lovenkrands, but can see why he did it - I think he hoped that he would cover and track back for Raylor more than say Sammy would have. Although Lovenkrands was good by his standards he drifted too much and was still average at best.

We couldn't really have been anymore unlucky if we tried to day - hit the woodwork three times, the luiz incident, both centre halves going off, their first goal from what sounds like a debatable throw in decision (haven't seen it myself) and even that through ball in the first half which hit Ben Arfa's heels. Some days in football you just know you aren't going to get anything - today was one of those days!

Had Luiz been sent off it would have changed the game and I think most people would agree he should have been. The thing was the ref didn't just make a bad decision, he got the rule wrong. Had he waved play on I would have been pissed off, but it would have been more acceptable. The fact that he gave the foul meant that he had no choice but to send him off. It was a clear goalscoring opportunity. In that sense it was a shocking decision. Luiz really did seem like a clown of a central defender, however, much as it pains me to say it because I hate him, Terry is not bad at all.

Krul was excellent again. Not at fault for any of the goals and great save from the penalty, which, whilst a little soft, looked a penalty to me on the screens at half time.

Raylor was shown up for the defender he is again today. Sturridge had all the time and space in the world, particularly in the first half. Jonas was a real miss in that sense. Got to be Santon next week for me.

Colo and Taylor excellent again in the middle. Massive blow for us them both going off, could mean we are in for a much rougher December than it should be on paper. Perch wasn't that bad when he came on, in fact I thought he was quite clever in the way he handled Drogba. Did lose his man for the first goal and was quite funny to see him just heading thin air about a metre away from Drogba when he connected!

Obertan - well he was Obertan - just knock it past a defender and run mate!

Ba and Ben Arfa struggled to link up. Hatem again showed glimpses but was also quite wasteful. The crowd got on his back a bit, although this is not surprising given he refuses to make the simple pass. At one point in the first half raylor was the easy pass on the left hand side, hatem cut inside trying to beat a couple of defenders, realised he couldn't, found Cabaye who played it first time to Raylor where the ball should have gone 5 seconds earlier. Summed up his day for me. Ba full of his usual running and Shola decent when he came on.

Fair play to Guthrie - he has really turned my opinion around. Arguably better than Cabaye in the last few games, which is about as big a compliment as I can pay him. Think he runs out of steam a bit towards the end of games. Not a natural athlete that is for sure!

On the balance of play I think most would agree that we deserved a draw, however, it wasn't to be. That's football. Got to pick ourselves up and get on with the next few games. Would love 7-9 points from the next four. I think we are capable of it, but we will have to play well and need a few injuries to heal up quickly.

Yep, sometimes it's just not your day. The team we had out at the end wouldn't beat Blyth, never mind Chelsea. It was a weird game, we had a lot of attacks but we fucked up quite a few with silly errors. Also the non red card, all the woodwork strikes.

A bit frustratin to watch because if we'd been a bit more clinical we could have taken some points. And if we hadn't lost Colo and Taylor I suppose.

watching that was like watching me play fifa, plenty of decent build up play but feck all finish.

then last 15 mins we just went completely to sleep. and with only having 10 men on thanks to saylor dropping out we were never getting nowt from the match.

We didnt deserve a 3-0 loss but we didnt deserve a win either, and if it werent for Krul it would have been a worse scoreline

and wtf is up with petr cech? is he going for this look?

http://images.wikia.com/farscape/images/3/35/Scorpius250.jpg

Very very poor game. Scoreline was fair. However, we were unlucky not to have scored at all.

Poor selection and subs from Pards (ironically after everyone saying how well he'd done in his 1st year in charge bar the Stoke and Stevenage away games)

HBA should have stayed on

The singing for Speed was very touching :'(

Very very poor game. Scoreline was fair. However, we were unlucky not to have scored at all.

Poor selection and subs from Pards (ironically after everyone saying how well he'd done in his 1st year in charge bar the Stoke and Stevenage away games)

Don't agree with any of this :lol:

Don't agree with any of this :lol:

I think Chelsea were by far the better side. If Krul wasn't on form we'd have been hammered. Yes we hit the woodwork 3 times but we carved no threat to make a 1v1.

The starting line up wasn't the best to his disposal either.

Disappointing today - scoreline was unjust. Also as poor a refereeing performance that I've seen in many years - Mike Dean was just awful. How could he fail to send off Luiz when it was so blatant?

Really worrying about the injuries at centre-back. This is what can happen when you have no cover and for that, serious questions need to be asked (again) I also agree that the Ryan Taylor at DL experiment now has to end.

I'd feel better if I could say we were outplayed and deserved a 3 goal defeat. But we weren't, we deserved at least a point and had the refereee made the correct decision and sent Luis off after 5 minutes the whole game would have been different.

We had no luck in refereeeing decisions or the game itself and played the second half with a team weaker than you'd see playing against a lower league team in the early rounds of the League cup but still took the game to them.

A very disappointing result but yet another ballsy performance with some decent quality at times too.

Mentions for Krul (wow),Perch,Cabaye,Guthrie,Ba and Shola.

Might turn out from TV that Diving Danny got his way.

Nah, definite pen I'd say. Very naive from Cabaye.

But it is very telling that it was due to tonnes of space down our left, Raylor and Lovenkrands nowhere to be seen and Cabaye having to try and chase the game, something he just isn't suited to. Maybe if Tiote had been playing he could've kept up with Sturridge and forced him into a wider position and bought us time to regroup - but as it was Sturridge had all the time in the world to waltz into the penalty area.

Some of these last ditch challenges and pushes from behind are just a symptom of the fact that a Guthrie-Cabaye midfield cannot get a hold on the ball or keep up with/stop breaks from deep, along with Raylor's horrific positioning. Sometimes those last ditch challenges are seen as heroic blocks and amazing recoveries, other times they end up as clumsy fks and penalties. we need to cut out those situations emerging in the first place.

Might turn out from TV that Diving Danny got his way.

Nah, definite pen I'd say. Very naive from Cabaye.

But it is very telling that it was due to tonnes of space down our left, Raylor and Lovenkrands nowhere to be seen and Cabaye having to try and chase the game, something he just isn't suited to. Maybe if Tiote had been playing he could've kept up with Sturridge and forced him into a wider position and bought us time to regroup - but as it was Sturridge had all the time in the world to waltz into the penalty area.

Some of these last ditch challenges and pushes from behind are just a symptom of the fact that a Guthrie-Cabaye midfield cannot get a hold on the ball or keep up with/stop breaks from deep, along with Raylor's horrific positioning. Sometimes those last ditch challenges are seen as heroic blocks and amazing recoveries, other times they end up as clumsy fks and penalties. we need to cut out those situations emerging in the first place.

I agree with that. Cabaye and Guthrie despite their quality on the ball are not the most athletic, and Ramirez in particular was leaving them for dead, especially Guthrie. That's where we miss Tiote most, he'd have closed down a lot of their runs much better.